Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

I have not done this but I am very curious if you enjoy doing it.

I remember when I was at the beach this past summer and I knew there was sites nearby but I chicken out of looking afraid I might get in trouble or people think I am really weird.

Do you do this alone or do you and your partner or friends do this together and how did you get started or learn about this activit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I have to say I hadn't heard of this before so I googled it.
It sounds interesting....I'm gonna look into it.

And who says the internet isn't educational

Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,577 times
I had never heard of this either but it sounds cool I would say it would be better with a partenr or friends rather than alone.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,379,164 times
My family letterboxes. We enjoy it, but don't get to go out as much as we would like to. My kids love it, they love the challenge of the clues and of course the stamps. Don't be chicken, just go out and try it!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Ok. I'm 53 years old. I'm not stupid. Although I feel inadequet. hahahaha

What the hell is letter boxing?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Ok. I'm 53 years old. I'm not stupid. Although I feel inadequet. hahahaha

What the hell is letter boxing?
LOL My kids love letterboxing, its gotten us outdoors more often and to places we wouldn't have visited before.

Check out this website for the info: Letterboxing North America

Here is their description:

'LETTERBOXING is an intriguing pastime combining navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a charming "treasure hunt" style outdoor quest. A wide variety of adventures can be found to suit all ages and experience levels.'

Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Huh? I read the site linked to and still don't get it. The Getting Started explained about equipment and vaguely about the rest, but...

I must have missed something in the reading.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:27 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,472,065 times
This sounds a lot like geocaching, where little gifts are placed in the woods or along trails and then clues are given (or sometimes GPS coordinates) so that they can be located by others, who will then take the gifts and leave their own to be found by another. I am assuming the goal of letterboxing is to fill a memory book with a collection of inked stamps from various locations (by way of getting families outside together to search for the boxes)? Sounds like a great way to bond with the kids.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Huh? I read the site linked to and still don't get it. The Getting Started explained about equipment and vaguely about the rest, but...

I must have missed something in the reading.
I will try to explain it, let me know if it makes sense, lol.

We love outdoor activities and visit alot of outdoor recreation areas. We read about letterboxing and decided to give it a try. Its like a treasure hunt. You print out clues that will lead you to a letterbox. A letterbox is usually a tupperware type container. Inside is a logbook and a stamp. You need to bring your own stamp, many people carve their own stamps. Its like your letterboxing signature, unique to you only. Take your stamp and stamp it in the logbook that you just found. Then you take the letterbox stamp you just found and stamp your own logbook. We always bring a pen to write the date we found the letterbox and to write what city we are from. Your personal logbook holds stamps from all the letterboxes you have found. The logbooks in the letterboxes hold the stamps of everyone that has found them.

Some letterboxes have been hidden for years and people from all over the US, Canada, and overseas have found the boxes and stamped in them. My family has hidden letterboxes in our area and within days people at a campground had found them. We check on the letterboxes once in awhile and alot of people from all over the western states have found them.

Go to letterboxing.org and locate your state, click on the region you live in and see what is in your area: Letterboxing North America

Some people think its totally silly, but its alot of fun. If you are an outdoors type person and like hiking, then this is for you. Some of the letterboxes don't require too much walking, so there is something for everyone. Some of the clues are very difficult and really makes you think. Some require you to decipher clues, some are history oriented, etc. I have grade school kids and they love letterboxing. Each kid has their own stamp and they help read the clues and lead us to the boxes. Its a fun family activity for us. We pack a picnic lunch and go for the day. Last year we found a series of letterboxes planted by retired teachers. Thier clues were full of local history and we learned alot.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
This sounds a lot like geocaching, where little gifts are placed in the woods or along trails and then clues are given (or sometimes GPS coordinates) so that they can be located by others, who will then take the gifts and leave their own to be found by another. I am assuming the goal of letterboxing is to fill a memory book with a collection of inked stamps from various locations (by way of getting families outside together to search for the boxes)? Sounds like a great way to bond with the kids.
Yep, its alot like geocaching. Instead of trading trinkets (which my kids think is awesome!), you stamp each others logbooks instead. Alot of people handmake logbooks with leather covers, fancy papers, etc. I haven't tried that yet but I am sure I will down the road.

Its a great way to spend time with your family. My kids beg us to go letterboxing now, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation