Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
That's interesting that we all enjoy black and white. When editing my photos, I like to create those looks of black and white with just one color showing or one object still colorized.
Lots of photo nuts--very cool!

Black and white photos (and even brown and white...like the oldtime photos) are definitely the best!! I must admit I'm a photography lover myself. I didn't list it as one of my "hobbies" because it's not something I do on a consistent basis (besides take a gazillion pictures of my kids). In high school a took a major course in photography, I learned everything about devoloping film from scratch and the whole behind the scenes process. I applied to several colleges for photojournalism. I was one academic unit short to get into the one college that offered it in NJ and the three I was excepted to were in PA and FL and I was afraid to leave home.....so I'm not a photojournalist. Oh well, life takes it's own course. However, it's something I've never given up, I love to dabble in it and I love to be creative with my photos. I'm always dressing the kids up, posing them, doing silly things in color and black and white....I will always love it.

An accomplishment of mine that I like to brag a little about is organizing photos. When my grandparents died, my mom brought all of their stuff to our house (photos included). Then my parents died so we were left with all of our grandparents photos, all of our parents photos AND all of our own. So a couple of years ago, I finally decided to sit down and revamp the whole mess. I took all of my maternal grandparents photos and put them in chronological order from when they were young up until my mom and her siblings were born. Then I did the same with my paternal grandparents up until dad came along. Then I took a separate album and put my dad growing up, then my mom growing up behind that and lastly, them when they started dating. Then the shower, the wedding, all of us growing up, me having my kids, etc. There are now about 10 albums but you can finally sit down and watch how my family originated in a timely order starting with my grandparents as young adults (actually their parents were in those photos too...so 5 generations). Everyone has copies and now when I get my film developed, I simply slide the pictures at the back of an album (or start a new one) and I never have to guess a date or time frame because it's orderly (and my mom wrote everything on the backs). I'm proud of that because it was time consuming and difficult but my children will always have this path to follow and will always have evidence of where they came from, who they look like, how big our family was and most importantly, all of the special (and casual) moments we spent together.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrl View Post
Lol I'm the same way! I can't stand to "window shop". My mother-in-law used to take me shopping and I'd get so bored. Unless there is something in particular I'm after, it's just not my cup of tea.

As far as hobbies go, I like to paint and dabble in photography. I adore home remodeling/renovation and using power tools too.

Recently I've found a new hobby, if you can call it that. I volunteer my time doing maintenance on a restored 1877 tallship. I sand, varnish, tar and do other various tasks to help keep her in tip-top shape. It's so much fun to do and it's awesome that I get to have a hands-on connection to history.
Glad to see I'm not the only one! Thankfully, for me, my best friend is the same way. Suppose that's one reason why she is my best friend.

Ahh, yes, the home remodeling. I'm in the middle of repainting inside my house, (ceilings, included, which I just finished. Ceilings aren't fun, by the way ).

A restored 1877 tallship! Not only are you volunteering your time, you are keeping your skills honed! Not to mention that "hands-on connection to history", you mentioned. You are helping to preserve history, and that is cool!
Way to go!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
I do not have a darkroom, and wouldnt know what to do with one, lol.
I just use the Ilford that gets processed as color. I'm not home and I forget the exact type. Maybe XPS2 if I remember correctly?

I have all Nikon stuff. An N80, and an N8008s. 2 28-105 Nikkons, an 80-200 ED Nikon, and 3 Tamrons.

I'm going to purchase a D70 next year in the spring, but no digital SLR just yet. All I have for digital is a Fuji E550. I was waiting for the SLRs to come down some in price, and I think they've hit bottom for a few years so now its time.
I think you will like the digial SLR, they are great to do practice shots. I also use the Ilford film, I think it's the best B&W film. Do you use photoshop? I'm trying to learn it. We have one Tamron lense for wide angle. I also have what I call my "bird lens" it's 500mm. I love to photograph birds, people and of course the mountains in N.C. What you take pictures of the most?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
That's interesting that we all enjoy black and white. When editing my photos, I like to create those looks of black and white with just one color showing or one object still colorized.
Lots of photo nuts--very cool!
I love doing that too. My camera actually will take a picture like that. I have to set it on the color I want accented them take the picture. I love it but my son hates it because he has to hold really still so I can get the color of his shirt,etc. set on the camera. I also just got adobe photoshop that will do all of that. it is the first computer program that I have had to read the insrtuction book. It has a ton of stuff you can do, I love it so far.
The camera took this picture- (my sons face was full of mud so he looks a little weird)
Attached Thumbnails
What are your hobbies/pastimes?-2006-05-04-nicholas_13e.jpg   What are your hobbies/pastimes?-2006-03-15e.jpg  

Old 11-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I love doing that too. My camera actually will take a picture like that. I have to set it on the color I want accented them take the picture. I love it but my son hates it because he has to hold really still so I can get the color of his shirt,etc. set on the camera. I also just got adobe photoshop that will do all of that. it is the first computer program that I have had to read the insrtuction book. It has a ton of stuff you can do, I love it so far.
The camera took this picture- (my sons face was full of mud so he looks a little weird)
I didn't know that a camera could do that! What kind is it? those are good pictures. I have photoshop elements and am having a hard time with it but I love photography.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I didn't know that a camera could do that! What kind is it? those are good pictures. I have photoshop elements and am having a hard time with it but I love photography.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times
it's a canon powershot A620 7.1 mega pixels. Absolutly love it! It takes amazing pictures. It bigger than most digitals but alittle smaler than slr's.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,455 times
It would be really easy to do that in Photoshop! Just cut something out with the lasso tool or magic wand, make a new layer, and recolor it.

(Just in case anyone's having any trouble. I'm pretty good with Photoshop).

Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Actually it's even easier. They have a lot of filters for Photoshop online. If you guys need any help I can direct you to some good tutorial websites.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Let's try this again....

Last edited by grammy164; 01-06-2007 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation