Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:27 PM

2,810 posts, read 204,823 times

Advertisements

I know many people think collecting DVDs is stupid, but I love to collect them! Its nice having physical copies of your favorite dvds right in your home to watch as you please.

So, Do you also collect dvds? Or are you one of those people who think it's a stupid hobbie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
I kinda think it's stupid, sorry!

We had a pretty good collection of dvd's from when we lived on Okinawa -very small tropical island, only Japanese cable , and right in the middle of "typhoon ally. We've moved like five times since then and I've never unpacked the box marked "dvds"

I have two streaming services so I fell like there is always something to watch. And if it's something I do't want to wait for or a premium channel show - I prefer to own the digital copy

Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
I collect Christmas movies. Also collect favorite tv shows. and many movies. Might not use today but if one is laid up or homebound you have something to entertain yourself. Also have good books and great old records to listen to.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:02 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
I know many people think collecting DVDs is stupid, but I love to collect them! Its nice having physical copies of your favorite dvds right in your home to watch as you please.

So, Do you also collect dvds? Or are you one of those people who think it's a stupid hobbie?
Sorry... but that has zero appeal to me.
Very few TV shows are worthy of archiving for posterity. And when you die, all those DVDs clog up a landfill.

But, hey... if it make you happy, go for it!

Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 PM

112 posts, read 130,590 times
I would, especially if I like the shows but can't see them on Netflix. For example, I collected That 70's Show in DVDs. It depends on how much money I have & whether I really like them. Cause you don't really watch the shows over & over again. At least, not imminently.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
I wouldn't be able to watch "Sledge Hammer!" on my TV if I didn't have it on DVD.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:46 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
I think its brilliant! Its great having your own inventory of entertainment. I love collecting dvds! I am glad they finally released all the seasons of Maverick on dvd. There are some great deals out there now on dvds. Stock up now before they are discontinued!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:51 PM

2,810 posts, read 204,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I think its brilliant! Its great having your own inventory of entertainment. I love collecting dvds! I am glad they finally released all the seasons of Maverick on dvd. There are some great deals out there now on dvds. Stock up now before they are discontinued!
That's Awesome! I'm currently collecting the Daniel Boone Tv Series!

Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times
Yes, I enjoy collecting DVD's and also old tv shows, classic war movies, documentaries, etc

it's like having your own library or movie library

I have the entire season of the tv show "The Streets of San Francisco" dvd set

a lot of the shows and movies these days are terrible in my opinion, too much CGI / computer generated special effects, the modern movies are almost like watching video games, I prefer the old school movies and actors better, thats why I collect the oldies and classics.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
What show do you want?

I have, in no particular order, Charmed, Buffy, She-Wolf of London, SEARCH, Man from Uncle, Columbo, MacMillian and Wife, McCloud, Arc II, Jason of Star Command, Primeval, Space Academy, Bewitched, classic Dr. Who, Xena, The Partridge Family, La Femme Nikita, That Girl, Hogan's Hero's, WKRP, Airwolf, Charlie's Angels, Wonder Woman, UFO, Monsters, Friday the 13th, The Rookies, both Battlestar Galacticas, Ray Bradbury Theater, Dempsey & Makepeace, Judging Amy, Space: 1999, MI-5, Mission: Impossible, Starhunter, both Bionic Womans, The Six Million Dollar Man, Red Dwarf, DS 9, Star Trek: TNG, Voyager, ST:TOS, SOAP, Blakes 7, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, The Wild, Wild West, The Avengers (Steed), The New Avengers, LEXX, and probably many others that just currently aren't on my mind.

A thing or two or three.......or so.

First, I've always been one to have a library because I have found that despite having whatever cable system with hundreds of channels, there is always the possibility of finding nothing on to watch. Secondly, as TV has become unwatchable, I have retreated further and further into a canned philosophy. IE, what I watch is canned, be it DVD or tape.

Another thing is that I have a high ethical standard. If, as I convert 20 years of TV watching from tape to DVD, I find I have something that I have an intense interest in, such as upping the recording quality, I'll make it a point to have a proper consumer copy of it.

Finally, it helps to have a system that doesn't limit you. When the company says Region X whatever, I order it anyhow. I have a regionless player as one of the units.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-15-2015 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation