Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times

Advertisements

Oh man,I'm all excited.Just found out next weekend a local airshow is going to have the skysoldiers attending with Huey rides.

Army Aviation Heritage Foundation

supposedly they will be having rides (cross my fingers).If they do good luck getting off the chopper lol.I have wanted for soooo long to do this,I'd like a ride in their Cobra and loach also if I could.I always run outside when a local UH-60 Blackhawk flys over.

Thought about getting a private license but haven't yet,but I remember back as a 4 or 5 year old kid being stationed at FT Rucker with my dad so I guess that left a long impression.

I know some of you have gotten free rides courtesy of uncle Sam but this is making me feel like a excited kid.Anyway I'll post photos if I can,hope this goes thru,I'm so excited I had to post this now lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:19 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
I got quite a few rides in a Huey courtesy of 11th Cav in the 1970s. Most were AH-1 Cobras if I remember correctly. Might have been some UH-1 around too but the details fade after 35 years. This was mainly out of Downs Barracks, Fulda, Germany.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 PM

301 posts, read 1,547,314 times
Enjoy the ride.I still get goose bumps everytime I see or hear one.My rides weren't joy rides.We use to jump out of them on ropes.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Well?

Did the ride happen? Details?

I wish they'd do this with F-18s, including a 'cat shot' and carrier landing.

Talk about an 'E' ticket ride.........................................

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well?

Did the ride happen? Details?

I wish they'd do this with F-18s, including a 'cat shot' and carrier landing.

Talk about an 'E' ticket ride.........................................
total let down,a grown man almost cried I tell you.They wouldn't go up because there wasn't enough people.My friends wanted to go Sunday when I had planned to go Saturday so I waited and guess what....they backed out.

The pilot said they went up all Saturday.So now I might drive to Georgia to catch them.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:44 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
total let down,a grown man almost cried I tell you.They wouldn't go up because there wasn't enough people.My friends wanted to go Sunday when I had planned to go Saturday so I waited and guess what....they backed out.

The pilot said they went up all Saturday.So now I might drive to Georgia to catch them.

Bummer! Hope it works out if you make the trip to GA.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
When I was in 'Nam I tried my best to avoid having to take a medivac ride in a Huey. Thankfully I never had to take that ride.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,902 times
I'm jumping in kinda late here, but there are two UH-1 programs that offer "in air" UH-1 benefits. The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation (AAHF) is a good non-profit organization based south of Atlanta and cover the southeast US pretty well ([URL="http://www.armyav.org"]www.armyav.org[/URL]). I've flown with them numerous times. They are a sizeable organization (numerous helicopters and fixed wing aircraft) and sincerely try to get as many folks in the air as possible ($50). They have a special FAA exemption that allows them to offer "rides" on ex-military "Hueys". I'm sorry you didn't get to go up. There is also another non-profit organization north of Indianapolis, if you are near that area. It called American Huey 369" ([URL="http://www.americanhuey369.com"]www.americanhuey369.com[/URL]). They do not have the same exemption as the AAHF and are much smaller (two UH-1s). They cannot offer "rides" however, if you become a member ($100 annually), you will be offered an opportunity to enjoy a flight at one of their events (schedule is on their website). Some folks want that kind of experience, some just want to support the cause and some want to work on the birds (or at the events), cuz their hearts are in the right place. This is a great group of patriots that are trying to keep the memory of Vietnam Hueys alive. Since members are critical to their mission, only members have that option.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
I crewed OH 58's in Bad Kissegen in early 77 , an outpost of Fulda, Germany, Sickles AirField, and crewed Hueys in Fulda 77 till June 79, Went back to Fulda in 08, Base is still looking the same, all German Buisnesses, and homes, including a German gentelman that drives a 79 4 door , doolie chevy pick up and only fixes and works on Harley Davidson's, The airfield on the other hand , is runway is gone, the new tower is still up along with the new barracks and mess hall and px store and a couple of the older buildings. This also includes a BlackHorse museum. Then ton's of new housing, Spec 4 Walter P. Mazuchowski, Jr, (M-ski) 12-76 till 6-79

Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Lionking....

I went today....

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...l#post19444927
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation