Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 04:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Do you think is watching youtube videos a hobby or just a waste of time?

I am not referring to watch something educational in a certain area, how to use a software or to perform/produce a useful output such as repairing a toilet or whatever, but for leisure purposes. I don't usually spend time watching youtube videos but when I did, I realized that after watching a series of video of a topic of my interest I spend too much time, I felt like a saturday night is gone because I spent too much time watching videos.

So, would you say is a hobby or a waste of time?
  • I watch political commentary, which may or may not be a waste of time. One man or a panel and men of women, usually focussing on one side of the aisle or the other. I like to stay informed what my opponents are up to. It's an echo chamber, though, there are very few centrists anymore.
  • Music and music analysis is for entertainment, it brings me joy as a hobby and has since childhood.
  • Trends in automotives, weapons, and cameras and photography techniques are also hobbies. I've made some informed buys based on these.
  • TED Talks are fascinating, and educational, though not focussed education per se.
  • Specific how-tos on home improvement are the opposite of time wasting.

Overall, it's like any other content that is on-demand. You can screw off and make nothing of it, or budget time to do the things you want, in addition to diet and exercise. Believe me, I am guilty of too much sitting around during COVID. I've taken steps to remedy such sloth, but yes it can be a problem. People can get obsessive and little good comes of that.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 10-27-2020 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 03:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Neither. I'v compiled several music playlists which I just let run while doing something else. Occasionally I spend a free hour just clicking through what might be of interest.

But compiling those playlist took a lot of searching, so I guess that was a hobby once

Old 11-01-2020, 07:06 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,791 times
I do YT instead of tv....i control what i watch...and i am addicted to high speed police chases or truck\car crash videos... and old movies and tv programs

Old 11-02-2020, 08:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
It can be both in my opinion. I have found some extremely valuable information through YouTube videos that relate to my existing hobbies (lawncare, auto detailing, camping). I always look to YouTube for product reviews as well. However, I am guilty of watching video after video of completely useless content (i.e pranks, street racing, music video's, etc, etc...)

Old 12-07-2020, 01:27 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Sounds like you're using it for entertainment, which is passive, while hobbies tend to be participatory.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:04 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
I learn beadwork via Youtube when I first got online when DD started school and I had some free time. Had some Bead & Button magazines but could not learn it from only reading text instructions, had to see beadwork being made.
I acquired more hobbies via Youtube like wirework which is a bit hard with OA.
Learned more painting techniques. Same for cardmaking and crafts.Some new recipes.
Due to health issues I had to stop travel, but via YT look at other countries.
History like Pompeii, roman life etc. I even like to see folks grocery shopping on YT.
Both my CD players died, upstairs and downstairs, so music also via YT.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:26 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
The internet as a whole, is a great time thief. This site included.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:24 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
Both. Sometimes I use it to simply have background music play while I'm doing something. Biggest time saver IMO is for watching sports game highlights without the dead time inactivity and commercials. Sunday nights I like to watch the best NFL game highlights which are usually 10-14 minutes in length.

Another is if there is a classic movie I want to watch and someone has uploaded it. Again no commercials and I can stop it when i need to for whatever reason. Great time saver in that respect. At other times when bored it can be like going down the internet rabbit hole. Then you end up in the weird Alice in Wonderland areas.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:00 AM

717 posts, read 452,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Do you think is watching youtube videos a hobby or just a waste of time?

I am not referring to watch something educational in a certain area, how to use a software or to perform/produce a useful output such as repairing a toilet or whatever, but for leisure purposes. I don't usually spend time watching youtube videos but when I did, I realized that after watching a series of video of a topic of my interest I spend too much time, I felt like a saturday night is gone because I spent too much time watching videos.

So, would you say is a hobby or a waste of time?
You can probably find a YouTube video on the hobby of watching YouTubed videos itself... it can be a waste of time but also can be a fascinating information tool in the process. There’s so many uses of watching particular kinds of videos including music language learning , political moments history , fun facts, cartoons, it’s like asking if connecting to the internet is a hobby

Old 01-22-2021, 11:41 AM

139 posts, read 215,681 times
Who gets to define what is a waste of time? If someone buys a copy of People magazine, makes a cup of coffee, sits on the couch and spends 30 minutes reading it, is that a waste of time? Is reading a comic book? Watching Judge Judy? Reading a Goosebumps book? By what definition? Does everything have to meet some predetermined level of educational value before it's determined by some universal force that it's not a waste of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation