Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 12:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post
I have been fortunate to be working since day 1 however, I find my wife and I wake up go to work, come home and have gotten in a rutt not wanting to leave the house on the weekends.
I'm in the same rut - I see all these people with new or revived hobbies, but I'm working 50-55 hours a week and my "hobby" is keeping the bathroom clean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:08 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Painting. Start simple. Jewelry making. Stained glass making. Write an ebook. Wine or beer making.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:53 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Painting. Start simple. Jewelry making. Stained glass making. Write an ebook. Wine or beer making.
Which of those do you do? Oddly enough I am an artist and I haven’t been doing any artwork recently. I really need to but it’s just not interesting me in this lockdown.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:11 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
I've been walking my dogs much more than usual to mixed reviews from them. I think they liked their previous lives better when I had to push myself to walk them. They lean towards the lazy side.

I read much more than I used to but after a while one book kind of runs into another and if you asked me the authors' names I would struggle to remember one from the next. I'm finding many of the more recent books seem to follow predictable formats. Maybe it's time to revisit the classics without having to write reports on them.

I have a nice camera that I used to use for taking photos of shelter dogs and posting them on websites but it's been packed away for quite a while. I'm trying to talk myself into getting inspired to pick it up again.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:22 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I'm retired and am struggling with boredom. Crafts, I seem to have done them all before, at least any that I was interested in. I would like to find a drawing class online if it's cheap enough. Can't take a drawing class around here due to COVID. My dog died so I have a new one and that keeps me pretty busy because he was abused so needs lots of training and love.

I'd love to go to museums, visit out of state friends, and in good weather, to take walks on the beach but not with COVID. For some of us, about all we can do is wait until March-April when MAYBE we can get the vaccination.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:23 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Not new but have been reloading like crazy. Can't have too much ammo.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:33 AM

40 posts, read 17,031 times
It is not a new hobby but a renewed one. I have started playing game once again during these tough times as I have to spend most of my time at home and playing video games isn't a bad option for me to spend quality time at home. In the last few years because of my busy routine with my professional life, I hardly had enough time to play games but in last few moths I have spend hundreds of hours playing video games.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:16 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
In the months since this started the posters' interests/situations may have changed, but for those who said that they used to take pictures or wanted to, but couldn't get inspired---try hooking that interest to something in nature. I started taking pictures because I liked to watch birds and keep track of what I was seeing. It was great because I didn't have to leave my own yard unless I wanted to "go on photo safari" as my friend called it, and it helped me know more about one aspect of my new natural environment. The thing is, once you get interested in the birds, it can really become something of an obsession for some people; not that its a bad thing these days!

Then, I became active in sea turtle conservation and got interested in learning about the beasts and their lives and became a beach monitor. That stemmed into early morning beach photos, because we use photos for nest citing and I always have a camera on my patrol days. I have to tell you- I am no "photographer", but I have some fabulous, frame-worthy sunrise photos of my beach!

I also started a new craft- decoupaging sea shells. Its a good creative outlet, and the shells make good decorations for a bathroom or porch and I use mine as a place to keep my rings when I do dishes. You could use small shells and make jewelry; I've seen that done around here, but I can't drill the little shells without breaking them. A neighbor who is extremely talented makes beautiful salt cellars by edging the shells with gold leaf and sealing them with a food safe coating; she gives them as gifts.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
THIS, LOL

Reading and posting on internet forums. I have spent more time on them the last year than the rest of my life combined.

I am in my early 50s, retired, and have diabetes so I take Covid serious and spend a lot of time at home. Luckily it will be nice enough to go camping soon. I did do a lot of camping last year in small out in the middle of nowhere places. Most of the regular places around here were packed 7 days a week last summer.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
So I don't know about you, but I'm literally never bored & during COVID's been no exception.

I posted before, but last month, March 2021, fiance' & I got e-bikes as in electric bikes for the 1st time & we've gone biking 2x/wk ever since. It's been SO FUN & I hadn't rideen on a regular bike since I was probably 12!

So now we've gone to several bike shops that we never used to go to...mainly to find more comfortable seats. We shouldn't have to go to any more biks shops now for a LONG, LONG time.

We've watched more youtube videos about e-bikes. There seems to be a bunch of youtubers who make videos showing themselves riding in various locations & doing BIG group rides along w/ e-scooterists, s-unicyclists, & e-skateboaders.

And although, I knew about Eventbrite, I started to sign up for a lot of webinars on variou topics. Don't know why I didn't do this all throughout this last year of COVID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation