Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 12:21 PM

189 posts, read 309,569 times

Advertisements

I only occasionally put my CB in a vehicle for long trips. As you know, on occasion you get some idiot with a high powered radio talking nonsense non-stop and in a sense jamming channel 19.

For those situations, is there a default channel that most people will change to for local information, road conditions, stuff that CB is useful for?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 01:24 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
It's been a lot of years since I was actually using a CB in that way but I think the direct answer to your question is 11, although I'm not sure if that's correct, or if it is, why it's 11.

19 is the default because it's the best frequency in the band for distance. The channels closest to 19 will be comparable but a little worse, and reception will theoretically be worst on channels 1 and 40.

17 and 21 should have the best reception with little or no bleeding over from the yahoos on running 500W on ch19, so you should find people there, if 19 is crowded or unusable.

I don't know if you've used a CB lately, but there's not much going on with them anymore. Unless you're near a major accident or something which affects a lot of truckers, there's just nobody there. At least that's been my experience since about the time that cellphones became a thing.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:59 AM

189 posts, read 309,569 times
Thanks for the tip on channel 11. I understand the signal strength vs channel number, but 11 should be fine for anything close by.

I agree not many people on CB any more. Easier to take your eyes off the road and look at your phone for information. That said, the CB has still come in handy so I will still bring it on a long trip.

Uniden Grant XL (no mods) with a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount on the roof, for anyone who might want to know.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:42 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,312 times
11 was my answer, too.
thanks for posting about CB.
it is still a "thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation