Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM

261 posts, read 497,452 times

Advertisements

what was your favorite day hike? Least favorite? Most dangerous? Most fun? etc....

What gear and supplies did you take, how long was the hike, and what was the effort level? What was the weather like?

What made it special? The hiking companions or lack thereof? the natural beauty? unusual experiences along the way? spiritual experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,423 times
I have many, my wife and I like to hike the Great Smoky Mts. We visit every other year and were going back this Sept/Oct. One of best was in an area known as the Greenbrier. You hike in an area that still has reminants of virgin forest and also remains of the great American Chestnut trees--there is evidence (photos) that these trees were in excess of 10-12 FT in dia at the base and about 200-300 ft tall. Quite impressive.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
I have many, my wife and I like to hike the Great Smoky Mts. We visit every other year and were going back this Sept/Oct. One of best was in an area known as the Greenbrier. You hike in an area that still has reminants of virgin forest and also remains of the great American Chestnut trees--there is evidence (photos) that these trees were in excess of 10-12 FT in dia at the base and about 200-300 ft tall. Quite impressive.
Interesting. I had never considered that area before. Just looked it up. Its history is intriguing, and as for the cemeteries, I guess that would be amongst the choicest place to be laid to rest. How lovely.

sounds like there's a significant presense of bears too, which should keep it interesting.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM

28 posts, read 36,615 times
Devil's Head, between Denver and Colorado Springs on the Rampart Range Rd. Only about 2 miles (4+/- miles RT) and 1300' vertical, but a beautiful walk thru the woods.
The finish is 150 steps up a metal staircase (almost a ladder) to a fire lookout tower high in the rocky crags. Incredible views!
Went in the fall when the aspen were golden!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
Interesting. I had never considered that area before. Just looked it up. Its history is intriguing, and as for the cemeteries, I guess that would be amongst the choicest place to be laid to rest. How lovely.

sounds like there's a significant presense of bears too, which should keep it interesting.
coldPlay: For as long as my wife and I have been going to the smokies we have seen only 2 bears and believe it or not these bears were running across the parking lot of the restaurant we were eating at and ran back into the woods. I have also seen wild boar in the area of the Chimney Tops pk area off of US 441

Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down by the River View Post
Devil's Head, between Denver and Colorado Springs on the Rampart Range Rd. Only about 2 miles (4+/- miles RT) and 1300' vertical, but a beautiful walk thru the woods.
The finish is 150 steps up a metal staircase (almost a ladder) to a fire lookout tower high in the rocky crags. Incredible views!
Went in the fall when the aspen were golden!!!
oh wow. Would love to see a photo, but photos rarely do justice to seeing it in person. Your description reminds me of one in N. CA off HWY 50 near the Sierras (not quite as dramatic as the rockies imo). It's a 2000' vertical gain and the whole things to the top drops off to a waterfall.

I cycled around that area when I was 20, but never had the chance to hike the trails. thanks for sharing.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
My favorite day hikes have all been in Alaska- Suicide Peak & Penguin Peak in the Chugach range. Polychrome Mountain, Sable Mountain, Cathedral Mountain & Stony Dome all in Denali National Park. LOL Of course these were all separate days. I saw bears, wolves, caribou, dall sheep, moose and even a lynx. All incredible views- worldclass!

I take all the 10 essentials when hiking, ultra-light gortex jacket & pants, plus lunch, snacks & my drug of choice.... chocolate covered espresso beans! I hike a lot by myself and see more wildlife that way.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
Too many to mention, but you sure got me thinking and remembering!

Lately my favorite hike is in Effigy Mounds National Monument in Eastern Iowa. Just jump out of the car, go say hi to the Rangers, then make your way up a pretty tough hill to the top of the bluffs above the Mississippi. It's a glorious view and invigorating hike among historic burial mounds. You can do a short loop or a long hike that takes several hours, or take several different hiking trails and spend a few days. Sometimes I'm alone on the trail, other times there are family groups . . . everyone's happy. Just a really special, peaceful, happy place (dare I say spiritual?) My very favorite place in America.

Here's the website: Plan Your Visit - Effigy Mounds National Monument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation