Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times

Advertisements

This reminded me of an experience I had many years ago. I was an impoverished college student living 20 miles away from school when my old clunker car bit the dust. I had only a little money saved and didn't know if I could find another vehicle for the $150 that I might use of the funds that I had saved for emergencies. Without a car, it would have been a real hardship getting to and from school and to my part-time jobs.

I was telling my tale of woe to the student sitting next to me in one of my classes. She was then about the age I am now (60) and dressed very nicely when everyone else was wearing faded jeans. I hadn't spoken to her prior to this as we usually sat in different seats. After hearing my vent, she said to me that we were going out after the next class to see if we could find me a car. I hated to impose on a stranger and that certainly hadn't been my intent in unburdening myself. But she quietly insisted and wouldn't hear otherwise.

So off we went in her luxury sedan to find me a serviceable hooptie . She drove me all over kingdom come in two afternoons at the end of which I had a car for my allotted $150 . (Yes, you really could buy a car for that amount back then. That one lasted for several years afterward.)

Anyway, with our mission accomplished, I gratefully asked her how I could ever thank her for her kindness, support and help. She reached over, gently shook my hand and simply said, "Pass it on."

In the intervening years, I've had the opportunity to "pass it on" on more than a few occasions. Often at these times, I reflect back on those who have shown me such kindnesses during my life. We really are often like ripples in a pond; whatever touches us is what we carry with us and pass along. Kindness generally begets kindness. The simplest gesture can leave a lasting impression without our ever knowing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Someone else likes your idea:

Create Act | kinded.com

I think this is a great thread. Taking notes.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I put this under hobbies because it is a sometime hobby of mine.

Aside from the little things like holding open doors for people, offering my seat etc I was hoping for some more pro-active ways of being good to others.

Sometimes when I am shopping I see people waiting at the taxi rank or bus stop and I have been known to give free lifts to people.

My husband got mad last time I did it so I haven't done it in a while, but people are always so grateful - especially here when it gets really hot in summertime.

I'd like to do something different but really helpful - something that my husband won't get mad about

Any ideas? What kind deeds do you do for others?
WHOA HERE!! I'm with hubby 110% on his well taken point of view on your shuttling people about. There many other much more useful activities a woman can do to help others than being a potential target for rape and/or murder from some nut job. And YES THERE ARE NUT JOBS OUT THERE!

Work with the old the infirm or the shut in's who always need help and can't find it when they so badly need it. Help kids in need or a neighbor that is in a bad way no matter their age. Keep looking but stop giving a lift to every Tom, Jane or Harry that you happen to run across that's on foot.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM

218 posts, read 799,308 times
Once, going through a drive-thru I got to the window to pay and was told that the person in front of me had already paid for me. It was so unexpected and such a nice thing to have a stranger buy me dinner! Now, every once in a while when I'm going through a drive-thru I'll pay for the car behind me or buy a sundae or other little treat to be included in their order.

I enjoy reading and also use BookCrossing.com to "release" books. It's kinda fun to actually register them and see where they end up but these days I just tag them with a stamp and a note that indicates they're free books and leave them for someone else to enjoy.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post

In the intervening years, I've had the opportunity to "pass it on" on more than a few occasions. Often at these times, I reflect back on those who have shown me such kindnesses during my life. We really are often like ripples in a pond; whatever touches us is what we carry with us and pass along. Kindness generally begets kindness. The simplest gesture can leave a lasting impression without our ever knowing it.
Enjoyed your post, especially the last paragraph. I truly believe that "what goes around, comes around". It really doesn't take that much effort to be kind to other people, and you're absolutely right...we never know how much of an impact a simple act of kindness can make on a person who really needed a little extra TLC that day.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
Once, going through a drive-thru I got to the window to pay and was told that the person in front of me had already paid for me. It was so unexpected and such a nice thing to have a stranger buy me dinner! Now, every once in a while when I'm going through a drive-thru I'll pay for the car behind me or buy a sundae or other little treat to be included in their order.
There is a radio station in Evansville, Indiana that asks people to pay it forward at drive throughs. They have one certain day they do this on air but stress that you can do this any time of the year. Within 10 or 15 minutes of when they went on the air and started talking about their "pay it forward" day, they were getting calls from people saying they pulled up to the drive through and the car ahead of them had already paid for theirs or that they had just paid for someone behind them. The even had fast food restaurants calling in about how many people were paying it forward that day. It was a big hit then and every year that they have repeated it.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I put this under hobbies because it is a sometime hobby of mine.

Aside from the little things like holding open doors for people, offering my seat etc I was hoping for some more pro-active ways of being good to others.

Sometimes when I am shopping I see people waiting at the taxi rank or bus stop and I have been known to give free lifts to people.

My husband got mad last time I did it so I haven't done it in a while, but people are always so grateful - especially here when it gets really hot in summertime.

I'd like to do something different but really helpful - something that my husband won't get mad about

Any ideas? What kind deeds do you do for others?
I treat people as I want to be treated

busta

Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 AM

218 posts, read 755,772 times
some nice lady in the store told me to go ahead of her because I aonly had one item so I got in front of her and grabbed her gallon of milk for the cashier to scan, paid, then laid it back down

Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 AM

228 posts, read 474,586 times
How about donate items...either handmade or things you don't need to someone who may need them.

I know a lady that does hand-me-downs with table cloths, curtains, etc....she likes to buy new things to freshen up her house on a regular basis. At first, she would either toss items in the trash or take them to a donation box, but now she bags or boxes said items up and passes them around to people her husband work with.

This can be done with clothing you don't wear, blankets and such that you don't use, items you make (if you crochet or knit), etc. Little things like that make people smile.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 18,026 times
If I see that a person needs help, I will help in any way! Besides, I am also a volunteer at the doghouse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation