Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever tried it? I want to but the basket does not seem to have a high railing. What I am trying to say iswhat prevents someone from falling out? Has this ever happened when you are 2,000 feet in the air? That would suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Has anyone ever tried it? I want to but the basket does not seem to have a high railing. What I am trying to say iswhat prevents someone from falling out? Has this ever happened when you are 2,000 feet in the air? That would suck.
Unless you are well above average height, the basket is actually plenty high. Don't lean over the side! Yes, you take a risk. Choose experience balloon outfitters for your first trip and you should be fine.
Far and away, the greatest danger is flying into power lines.

When you take a balloon ride part of the safety responsibility is yours. The pilot cannot do it alone.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Are you *thinking* of getting ride in one of these ?

Have you ever flown in a small airplane ?

Maybe you need to try that first. Flying inside an aluminium tube, with a large commercial carrier is quite different than flying inside a relatively small aircraft. Not everybody is cut out to feel comfortable *up there* hanging on this balloon. When you *see* a lot of nothing below you, many people freak out.

Last edited by irman; 03-19-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times
Eeee I want to go hot air ballooning so badly! I think that it looks awesome. I don't have much advice for you, but if you end up going you should definitely come back and let us know how it was!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Eeee I want to go hot air ballooning so badly!
How far away from Ripon are you ??
or..
from Sullivan ?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
Irman, I am not afraid of heights as long as I am moving slowly.

Small planes would not freak me out because of the nothingness. Small Planes would freak me out because they crash all of the time.

Isn't hot air ballooning safer?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 AM

Comments inserted

Quote:

That ....., a hot air balloon will do !!!

Small planes would not freak me out because of the nothingness.

OK, you 'll be OK then.

Small Planes would freak me out because they crash all of the time.

All depends, how you look at it.
Safer then what ?
Small airplanes ? maybe if you look at per mile, may be not.
If you look at accidents per 100,000 miles, there are more Hot air balloon accidents then Fixed Wing accidents.
Not to make you worry like crazy, but *I* would NOT get into one.
Even though I am a pilot.
I do not like to depend on Nature, almost completely.
I prefer to go where I want to go and not where the wind directs me to.
Used to fly helos for the Navy, now flying a powered Parachute !

At least there, I already have a chute above me.

What you need to know is that you must sign a waiver .....
Uhmmm ..... OK .... oh well .....
So make sure your *pilot* has an Insurance policy !!!!
Then ask for it and read it !!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:

Small planes would not freak me out because of the nothingness. Small Planes would freak me out because they crash all of the time.

Really? It's newsworthy when one crashes because the accident rate is as low as it is per hours flown. It's one heck of a lot safer than getting into your car.

Only from the standpoint of a ballon pilot exercising good judgement when it comes to flying conditions, and not flying when the conditions aloft exceed their best interests. I've been to a lot of fly-ins in the Rocky Mountain West where the scheduled ballon flights were cancelled, and at fly-ins like St Francis KS. And I've seen what happens when somebody tangles with conditions in excess of their abilities ....

Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 AM

27 posts, read 42,318 times
So fun! Felt so free and relaxed, Hubby and I flew in over the Rocky Mts several years back. Want to go again.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Thae basket seems to be around 4 feet high, plenty if you don't get crazy. The one time i was in one it landed in my field, early in the morning and woke me up. I heard what seemed to be the sounds of a real puff the dragon too. I had to take a look around before i saw it. Then when i did, I went to see what was up since I had not given permission for such a thing, and was a little miffed.

The ride I got was on a thether, so I didn't go anywhere but up then down. The reasons why were explained and coffee was offered which I took 3 cups too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation