Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times

Advertisements

Well I would gladly trade all of our minor league teams that includes the Bucks for a NHL team, however that will never happen now that the bucks have been sold and if they don't build a new arena by 2017 they can move but a NHL team would still need an arena so there goes my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Because there's nothing at all anywhere near them. It'd be almost like a London team in the NFL or a Tokyo team in MLB. There are no other teams in the deep Southeast.
Why would that be an issue? They'll still have to travel further on the east coast to play teams such as Boston and Buffalo.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
I say add two teams to the west, move one to the west (either by moving say Columbus or Detroit back) or moving a bad franchise (the Panthers or Ottawa with the legislation issues) and add another team to both the east and the west. I don't think there is a problem with the current size of the league now. I would like to see Seattle, Portland or North California, and Quebec (only if a team is moved to the west) get teams.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Quote:
Because there's nothing at all anywhere near them. It'd be almost like a London team in the NFL or a Tokyo team in MLB. There are no other teams in the deep Southeast.
And why is that a bad thing, exactly?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:10 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I think places like Nashville, Columbus, Dallas and Winnipeg has good fanbases despite their recent performances.

I would say Seattle and Quebec city are two that should have teams. Perhaps Portland as well with a good junior team. The teams in Toronto and Montreal have so much history I am not sure if having a second team in those markets will help those teams that much. Even though LA and NYC have multiple teams, I am not sure if they actually need 3 teams in the area, despite each having their own fanbases. Perhaps resurrecting teams like Toronto Toros and Montreal Maroons would work? They probably still have some kind of following from the older generation to generate enough interest.

But I am all for smaller market teams. It is unfortunate that these markets will probably have a harder time to attract top players than the bigger markets (or places in better location), but I think they would be great for the cities.

My idea for an ideal NHL:

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Philidelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning
Montreal Maroons
Toronto Toros

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Anaheim Ducks
LA Kings
San Jose Sharks
Portland Rosebuds
Seattle Metropolitans

Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets
Regina Capitals (perhaps another name is more fitting)
Not a big fan of your team nicknames.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:13 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Tampa Bay is not too far from Washington DC, Raleigh, or Nashville. All are much close than London and Tokyo. It is 2014, we have airplanes now. The days of taking road trips on a caravan of horse drawn carriages are gone.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Why wouldn't that be logical?

Are there any other southern cities that could garner fans if they got a team; Houston, Birmingham, or Jacksonville?
Jacksonville couldn't even support an SPHL team. Birmingham had a higher level minor league team for a while but had stadium issues and lost it. Houston is big enough that realistically it should be the number two expansion after a second team in Toronto.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I think places like Nashville, Columbus, Dallas and Winnipeg has good fanbases despite their recent performances.

I would say Seattle and Quebec city are two that should have teams. Perhaps Portland as well with a good junior team. The teams in Toronto and Montreal have so much history I am not sure if having a second team in those markets will help those teams that much. Even though LA and NYC have multiple teams, I am not sure if they actually need 3 teams in the area, despite each having their own fanbases. Perhaps resurrecting teams like Toronto Toros and Montreal Maroons would work? They probably still have some kind of following from the older generation to generate enough interest.

But I am all for smaller market teams. It is unfortunate that these markets will probably have a harder time to attract top players than the bigger markets (or places in better location), but I think they would be great for the cities.

My idea for an ideal NHL:

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Philidelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning
Montreal Maroons
Toronto Toros

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Anaheim Ducks
LA Kings
San Jose Sharks
Portland Rosebuds
Seattle Metropolitans

Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets
Regina Capitals (perhaps another name is more fitting)

Holy @#$%, I was gonna say I was perfectly happy when there were 12 teams and I knew the name of every player in the League.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I'd name change the following teams to something more based on the city and region that they play in:
  • Buffalo Sabres
  • Calgary Flames
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • New York Rangers
  • Philadelphia Flyers
  • Anaheim Ducks
  • Los Angeles Kings
Buffalo Bison <- Not really the region, but Buffalo Wings just seems lame. I'm okay with Sabres because their logo rules.
Calgary Cowboys
Chicago Wiseguys<-Okay with the original.
New York Yankees<-There was also a football team by that name at one time so maybe a hockey team could get away with it too.
Philadelphia Quakers<-Go fighting Quakers!
Anaheim Armadillos<-Seems like a place where they should have armadillos even if they don't. I really like Mighty Ducks though.
LA OGs<-Just OGs though. Never refer to them as Original Gangsters. It isn't as cool.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM

898 posts, read 938,051 times
The Coyotes should probably move. The Panthers should also probably move.

Though I'm fine with 30 teams, I'm not against a clean, even 32 teams (16 in each conference). I'd like to see the two additional teams either in Seattle, Quebec, or another northern (Canadian) city. No more desert or sub-tropical teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey