Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

My poor nephew is one unhappy camper this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Now the only team that's left to root against is the Bruins.
Gee, and I thought I was negative ...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Congrats to San Jose. A little bummed since i thought my RW could pull it through. SJ had better win the cup this year, or this will be just looked at as another series victory.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
That was a very good series. In retrospect, spotting you Sharks three games and then trying to sweep may not have been the best plan, lol. Good luck against the Nucks.

Texas, I still think the Kings over the Oilers was a better upset. The Oilers in that time period with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, and Fuhr in net were a powerhouse that had never been seen before or since. The Wings in 93-94 were good, but were just coming off the era where we called them the Dead Things, and had not yet hit their stride. So that was a good but very new team over a good but not great team.
Agreed, thats up there. Red wings losing in the first round is nothing new. The biggest upset to me was getting owned by Giggy and Anaheim in 03. Not only were we defending champs, but got swept.

Also would note that Red wings weren't even the best team in the league on 1993-94. Guess its a big deal when you beat the red wings.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Congrats to San Jose. A little bummed since i thought my RW could pull it through. SJ had better win the cup this year, or this will be just looked at as another series victory.
Win the cup or not, it was much more than just another series win. This was, up to this point, the biggest victory in Sharks' history.

The national and even much of the Bay Area media have been all over the Sharks the last few days...labeling them "chokers" and then you have JR's unprofessional "gutless" comment about Marleau. All this, even before the series was over..

Really all the pressure was on the Sharks. Were they to have gone down last night, not only would it have had the historical significance no NHL team wants to be associated with, but there would have been calls to blow up the team, fire GM Doug Wilson and even Todd McLellan. True Sharks fans have all gotten used to that kind of talk over the past few years, but it would have reached a crescendo had they lost last night. The future direction of the franchise was literally at stake.

Since entering the league, the Sharks have become quite a thorn in the in the Red Wings' side. I don't blame you for trying to downplay what was a tremendous character win..

Last edited by Upton; 05-13-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Were the Sharks not the higher seed in this series? The higher seed defeating the lower seed isn't really a huge thing. It was a great series between pretty evenly matched teams who both play puck control styles. That's what made it so entertaining to watch, and why I said it was one of the best series we've seen in a while, even better than the recent Wings/Pens matchups. The biggest in Sharks history? I guess it really is a big deal when you beat the Wings, whether you were favorites or not.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Win the cup or not, it was much more than just another series win. This was, up to this point, the biggest victory in Sharks' history.

The national and even much of the Bay Area media have been all over the Sharks the last few days...labeling them "chokers" and then you have JR's unprofessional "gutless" comment about Marleau. All this, even before the series was over..

Really all the pressure was on the Sharks. Were they to have gone down last night, not only would it have had the historical significance no NHL team wants to be associated with, but there would have been calls to blow up the team, fire GM Doug Wilson and even Todd McLellan. True Sharks fans have all gotten used to that kind of talk over the past few years, but it would have reached a crescendo had they lost last night. The future direction of the franchise was literally at stake.

Since entering the league, the Sharks have become quite a thorn in the in the Red Wings' side. I don't blame you for trying to downplay what was a tremendous character win..
Fair assessment, but im not downplaying it yet. If SJ wins the cup then it then you can say this series was the "character-building" moment which put the sharks over the hump. If SJ doesn't win the cup, then it will be another series win, drowned out by the grumblings of this and previous playoff exits.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Sharks over Wings was the greatest because that was Sharks first playoff series ever. Only 3rd year in existence. 8th seed vs 1st seed.
It was only great to Sharks fans. Ducks (8th) sweep of Wings (1st & prior year cup winners & lineup full of hall of famers) in 2003 was a bigger upset, in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Were the Sharks not the higher seed in this series? The higher seed defeating the lower seed isn't really a huge thing. It was a great series between pretty evenly matched teams who both play puck control styles. That's what made it so entertaining to watch, and why I said it was one of the best series we've seen in a while, even better than the recent Wings/Pens matchups. The biggest in Sharks history? I guess it really is a big deal when you beat the Wings, whether you were favorites or not.
They finished just one point ahead of the Wings, just like they finished one goal better last night. These two teams were equals. The Sharks got the final win.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I don't think some of you were around for the 93/94 playoffs ..... that was huge news that a #8 seed in their 3rd year in existence and first ever playoff series beat the red wings - who were a favorite to win the cup (they had the 3rd most wins in the NHL, most in the western conference ..... they also were the highest scoring team in the league and the only team to average over 4 goals per game

The sharks had the fewest wins out of any playoff team (they were 3 wins behind the #15 team in this category)

The 2nd highest scoring team in the league still fell 50 goals behind the wings - their season goal differential was +81 .... the only team better was NJ with +86 due to the incredible play of brodeur and the neutral zone trap ....... no team in the league was close to these two teams in differential

SJ was -13 on the season

Federov was an absolute beast that season picking up 3 trophies and finishing 2nd in overall points (10 behind gretzky)

Detroit hadn't hit their cup stride yet - but they were definitely a formidable team ..... 2 seasons prior they had the 2nd most points in the NHL .... the season prior they had the 4th most points

Speaking of the 92/93 season the redwings were +79 points over SJ .... the sharks and sens were by far the league doormats ..... then the very next season SJ sneaks into the playoffs and clips the wings (the sens remained the doormat with a 20 point gap to the 2nd worse team) .... their first two years they had 63 combined points, their 3rd season they eclipsed that # but still had a losing record

That was a huge upset and unlike the huge upset between kings/oilers (which IMO is probably the largest upset) this series was 7 games, not 5

Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My poor nephew is one unhappy camper this morning.

Gee, and I thought I was negative ...

I'm sure that you'll help your nephew get over it

The Wings don't have anything to prove. In the last 16 years, they've countless divisional titles, a few Presidential trophies, six conference championships, and 4 Stanley Cups. As other teams come and go, the Wings will always be a contender. Many journalists have proclaimed the Wings to be the finest organization in professional sports.

Just tell your nephew that he made a good choice in supporting the Winged Wheel..

Someone mentioned the Bruins; now they're a different kettle of fish. The Bruins are not exactly a subtle team known for their crisp passing and fluid skating. The Bruins are more apt to bang, board, claw, clothesline and stomp on their opponents, and ask questions later, and they will be an adjustment for any Western Conference team. That's assuming that they get past the revamped- goalie, highly- skilled forward- leaning Lightning.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey