Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:19 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

I am not a huge follower of the NHL, but I enjoy watching the occasional game on TV.

Which got me to thinking, why is that I find hockey exciting and fun to watch, but not soccer?

No offense to the world's most popular sport and its passionate fans, but I just could never get into watching soccer no matter how much I tried.

Yet, don't soccer and hockey share similar traits? Both are very low scoring games compared to basketball for example. Both seem to have the same play style of players trying to get an object into the opposing team's net, with a lot of close calls before going the other way (and back and forth all game long).

Is it just perception? The smaller size of the hockey court which speeds up play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:25 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
I like hockey too... it's pretty fast paced whereas soccer.... not so much.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:11 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
No, you're not the only one. It's more interesting than Soccer, Basketball, baseball, and football.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Anything beats soccer. Didn't grow up watching hockey. I have friends that have gone to Nashville to Predator games and have said, live games are so much better than TV games.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:39 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Hockey is an up and down game with constant line changes and scoring chances playing on a much smaller surface with no 'out-of-bounds' so to speak, so there isn't a revolving door of breaks in the action to inbound the ball like in Basketball or Soccer.

Soccer is a tough TV sport unless you are a huge fan of the game. Hockey isn't much better, but I think Hockey is easier for a causal fan to watch on TV than Soccer.

Most of the people in my circle who love Hockey are not Soccer fans, and judging by this thread I'd say you're not alone.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Hockey isn't "very low scorning", though. Let's assume that one NHL goal is equal to a NFL touchdown + extra point (7). Here's the results of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Game 1: 28-42
Game 2: 21-14
Game 3: 7-21
Game 4: 14-42
Game 5: 28-21

As for soccer v hockey, I don't find the game as similar as others do. Similar concepts for sure but the game plays out differently. I love both sports.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 812,148 times
I really like hockey.

Wouldn't watch a soccer game for anything. Ever.

(Don't care for the Vegas hockey pretentious circus-o-lame pregames that seem to go on forever)

Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I am not a huge follower of the NHL, but I enjoy watching the occasional game on TV.

Which got me to thinking, why is that I find hockey exciting and fun to watch, but not soccer?

No offense to the world's most popular sport and its passionate fans, but I just could never get into watching soccer no matter how much I tried.

Yet, don't soccer and hockey share similar traits? Both are very low scoring games compared to basketball for example. Both seem to have the same play style of players trying to get an object into the opposing team's net, with a lot of close calls before going the other way (and back and forth all game long).

Is it just perception? The smaller size of the hockey court which speeds up play?

Have you ever attended a game? I also enjoy watching on TV but believe you really need to attend again (sitting relatively close to the glass won't hurt ) to appreciate just how fast the game truly is. What amazes me is that there aren't more severe injuries than there are considering that speed.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Have you ever attended a game? I also enjoy watching on TV but believe you really need to attend again (sitting relatively close to the glass won't hurt ) to appreciate just how fast the game truly is. What amazes me is that there aren't more severe injuries than there are considering that speed.

Hockey on TV can't compare to being at the rink. Now.. I will say.. This year, I have a 4k TV and Youtube TV which supports 4k streaming.. So, I believe that was part of the reason that I got more enjoyment out of watching games this season on TV.

Trying to watch a game on standard definition back in the day, and even on regular HD it can be very difficult to follow the puck.. Which was the reason behind Fox's "Glow Puck" experiment back in the 90's.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:22 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Hmm.... This is a tough one. I grew up playing travel hockey at a high level. I still play now (Beer league.)
I can say I never really followed soccer up until about 5 years ago, though it wasn't for a dislike of the sport, but rather just no particular interest.
I am an avid follower now, and find the games extremely interesting. It isn't as fast, but player positioning and tactics are such major factors in creating opportunities for shots on goal that it can be extremely gripping to watch -- if one understands it more than just a game involving back and forths across a huge field.
Watching their set-ups reminds me a lot of power-plays in the offensive zone in hockey, where players are taking their time to carefully craft scoring chances.

I can say I do still like hockey better, probably because I grew up playing and have a love for the speed of it, but soccer is easily my second favorite sport. I even find our MLS league to be more interesting than NBA and NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey