Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times

Advertisements

My team: Dallas Stars

Overall:
History and Tradition: C+ (...if your only talking about the Dallas Stars-est.1993)
Division: C
Uniforms: D
Ownership: A-
Arena: A
Fans: A+

Comments: I'm just talking about the "founded in 1993" Dallas [not North] Stars. So.... the tradition part is ok. The Stars have won a Stanley Cup in it's 15 year existance, and they've managed to make the playoffs 10 times from 1994-2006, with 2 Stanley Cup Finals appearances. So it's says something good about how the team has been managed. Also, the Stars are in the DFW area, one of the best sports areas in the country. And you would think that hockey and Texas doesn't mix. In essence, it still doesn't.... but North Texans have supported the franchise for years. And the fan loyalty can't be compared with northern U.S. and Canadian hockey fans... but it's as close as you can get south of the Mason-Dixon line. The only two things that suck about the Stars are, one) they're in the Pacific division, which means Stars fans have to wait till 9pm to see most of the games. And two) The current Reebok uniforms SUCK! Most people in the Metroplex will tell you that the Stars had one of the best uniforms in the NHL. But Reebok came and 'Reebok-ed" them.

2007-08 Season:
Regular Season: A-
Talent: B+
Coaching: B

The regular season has been ok. The Stars, with only a handful of games left, will be going back to the playoffs. Maybe this time they won't have an early exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
My team:Carolina Hurricanes

History and Tradition: B
Division: C-
Uniforms:A-
Ownership: B+

Comments: Carolina moved from Hartford at the start of the 1997-98 season. However, they spent their first two years playing in the massive Greensboro Coliseum while Raleighs RBC Center was under construction. Attandence was awful, Greensboro's past franchise, the Monarchs, had just been upgraded from ECHL to AHL which spiked up ticket prices before the Hurricanes settled in. The Monarchs upgrade angered many fans and most of them were not wiling to support a so-so franchise at the time. The team moved into raleigh in the fall of 1999. They made the playoffs in 2001, losing a six game first-round series to the defending Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils. This series is seen as "Hockey's real arrival in NC" to some. The following year, the team made a cinderella run to the finals facing the Detriot Red Wings, despite losing in five, the team had a welcoming home party at the RDU airport the next day. The following two seasons were bleak. Then came 2006, the rest is history.

I know I might get some heat for this but I feel moving the team to Raleigh was a good idea, and Im not just saying this because Im glad they did. Many New Englanders have been moving to the Raleigh-Durham area since the 80's. Make a visit there someday and I guarntee you'll meet someone there who orginally is from the Northeast. I even remember seeing cars with Whalers bumper stickers in the early 90's. If anything, they played a role helping the team move down here. Even before the Hurricanes arrival, raleigh's other hockey team, the Icecaps, were enjoying fan support at the small outdated Dorton Arena, which helped Pete Karmanos's decision to move. I know there are several Whalers fans still upset about the move and I understand. I was kind of hoping that when the Charlotte Hornets were moving(didnt want them to but it happened anyway) that they would move to Hartford so we could at least repay Hartford in some way. Still, with all that said, I'm glad their here and hope they get that Stanley Cup back.

2007-08 season:
Regualar Season: B
Talent: B-
Coaching: A

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 03-25-2008 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM

854 posts, read 2,864,351 times
Florida Panthers

Overall
:
History and Tradition: C (come on, the rats are a pretty cool thing)
Division: C (at least we have ovechkin and a cross-state rivalry with the bolts. oh and i HATE the hurricanes! bunch of lame DIVERS (http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/48326/2006397826733089554_rs.jpg - broken link)! )
Uniforms: C-
Ownership: D (GM and coach in one person???)
Location: C+ (easy access, no traffic jams etc, but NOTHING around it like bars etc)
Arena: A+ (gotta LOVE the bankatlantic center itself!)
Fans: B- (well... if the arena is full like in the last couple of games it's a lot of fun. too bad that's only the case when the cats are on a winning streak)

Comments: well, with that loss against tampa tonight there goes another season without a post-season... i guess. what else can you say. fire martin, will ya? thanks!

2007-08 Season:
Regular Season: C-
Talent: A- (Boooooooooooooooooth!!!)
Coaching: F (jacques martin is GM and coach which sucks, and he has NO idea how to motivate his players).

Last edited by diddiyo; 03-25-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,098 times
My team:San Jose Sharks
History and Tradition: C-
Division: B
Uniforms: A+
Ownership: B+

Comments: The sharks were founded as an expansion team in 1991 and pretty much introduced the color teal to the sports world. They played their first two seasons in Daly City, CA before moving to San Jose in 1995. The sharks have only missed the playoffs 5 years in their 16 years of existance. They have the loudest and most loyal fans in the NHL and are one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Go Sharkies!

2007-08 season:
Regualar Season: A
Talent: A
Coaching: A

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
My team: Philadelphia Flyers

History and Tradition: A+. Bernie Parent. Broad Street Bullies. Legion of Doom. Bob (Don't Call Me Bobby) Clarke. Kate Smith. Flyers vs. the Soviet Red Army team. Back-to-back Stanley Cups.
Division: Ugh.
Uniforms: B, but kudos to TIIC for not adopting the latest fads in colors or changing logos just to sell jerseys.
Ownership: C
Arena: C. The Wachovia Center is a run-of-the-mill sports arena; the doomed Spectrum was a much better place to watch the game.
Fans: I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Quote:
pretty much introduced the color teal to the sports world.
Miami Dolphins? Or would you consider their color aqua?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Chicago Blackhawks.

History and tradition: A+ Original 6. Need more Cups though. lol
Division: B- Minus Detroit, kinda weak
Uniforms: A+ Best in the biz, Habs a close 2nd.
Ownership: B (old Bill Wirtz? F-) Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough have helped alot!!!
Location: A- Right off the highway, but in a kinda iffy hood.
Arena: A- A bit too big, waaaay bigger than the old Chicago Stadium.
Fans: A- Loyal and knowledgeable, downright rowdy up in the 300s.

Comments: The Hawks. Losingest team in the NHL, but the greatest IMO. Cant deny Original 6 coolness, nor greats like Hull, Esposito, Savard, Mikita, Magnusson, etc. Best looking sweaters in the NHL, and a nice young core of talent on the current team. Expect to see young'uns like Seabrook, Toews, Wizniewski, Kane, etc, become household names in the near future.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Nice to see everyone keeping the colored text for their teams

Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,763,065 times
Washington Caps

History and Tradition: C+ to B-
Division: D SouthLeast...what more can I say...
Unis: A+ Ok so like most people I HATE the reebok junk but the return to the real caps colors plus the new flying W logo is sweet!
Ownership: B- Too patient, overspent in the past (Jagr) and now gunshy to make too many big moves
Location: A++ Can't get a whole lot better than downtown DC with a metro stop more or less right underneath you!
Arena: A Not been to enough to really be extremely objective
Fans: B+ From what I've seen this season, TRUE Caps fans are returning and the priviledged gimme seats for suits are getting pushed to the side.

Now...if those Flyers or Bruins will only choke so we can get into the playoffs...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post

Now...if those Flyers or Bruins will only choke so we can get into the playoffs...
One thing I can say about the Bruins is they never choke! In fact, teams from Boston don't even KNOW the word "Choke"!.... uh, never mind. I was just informed that they invented the word. My bad!

My team: Tampa Bay Lightning

History and Tradition: C+/B-. It was only four years ago that they won the Stanley Cup, after all. They also have Vinny Lecavalier, who I consider to be one of the best players in the game. The guy can do it all! Sure, they've only been around since 1992-1993, and they were downright AWFUL for many years (and they are again now), but a Cup has to at least give them a C+, right?

Division: D - I wholeheartedly agree with the term "SouthLeast." I'm hoping we can climb past Atlanta by season's end. How sad!

Uniforms: B+. I like them, and I consider them better than most of the "newer" (1990 and forward) teams uniforms.

Ownership: C-. It seems like they have ownership problems and whoever owns the team at any given time claims to lose money. They let go of most of the team after the Cup year. Once Modin was gone, I knew there was going to be a downfall. The loss of Khabibulin was huge, as was the loss of Sydor and Cullimore. I didn't cry when they let Pavel "I think I'm Bobby Orr" Kubina go, though!

Location: B+. Easy to find (downtown is not that big) and right near the water. Very good.

Arena: A-. Nice! Relatively new building with no bad views.

Fans: C-. They sure left quickly once they started losing!

Oh, and to the OP: I think Dallas has a fantastic shot at the Cup this year. Acquiring Brad Richards was a GREAT move. I love how he had FIVE ASSISTS in his first game with the Stars!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
New York Rangers
History and Tradition:A+, like all the Original Six.
Division:B
Uniform:A+
Ownership:F,for the incredibly bad trades for so many years.
Arena:-
Fans:-

2007-2008
Regular Season:B
Talent:B
Coaching:B
I´m hoping for semifinals,but as long as they are making it past the first round I am happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey