Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 AM

17 posts, read 75,036 times

Advertisements

I am not liking the color that i chose as the 'main' color for my house (sherwin williams interactive cream).

The problem is that i was looking for a light tan color(which i thought interactive cream was after playing around with the color virtualizer on the sherwin williams website) but it has a yellowish look to it, especially in dark areas.

the paint is already done, but i really feel like changing it...I am very new to this, and i have no experience with colors/painting...

i am hoping this color could grow on me...

Has anyone ever picked a color that they didnt like at first and have it 'grow' on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
I've never had one grow on me, but more you just end up dealing/getting use to it. Painting can be tough to get perfect until it's actually on the wall. I've bought a few that ended up not looking right, switch them and used the old paint in another area of the house that turned out looking good.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
It has happened to me. At first I was not really fond of a certain paint color, but eventually I started to like it.
If you really don't like it, you are likely not to change your mind, but if it is just not your favorite, give it some time and you might change you mind.
Try switching a few accent furniture/pillow/curtain colors. Maybe you don't like the color combination, not the color itself.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I had painted my living Room a color and when it dried it really wasn't the color i was looking for, but since I do not think of painting as a major chore, nor a big deal, i just bought new paint and re painted it. Lucky though the ceiling did not have to be painted as well, so the job was not really that big a deal.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
I picked out a very light blue-gray color for my living room and up the staircase into the upstairs landing. I started out painting the staircase, which was a huge pain since the walls are ~20ft tall in the middle of the stairs.

After I had painted the entire staircase area and gotten into the living room, I realized the paint color had dried differently than I expected. It was more of a lavender/gray/purple color. I definitely didn't like it, but painting the stairs was such a pain that I left it on the walls.

I'm still not crazy about the color, but we've matched the curtains and accent furniture using deeper blues which helps bring out some of the blue in the paint. I can tolerate the color now, and it's kinda grown on me to the point that I can handle it now.

My kitchen on the other hand, was supposed to be a darker blue/gray color. The original color turned out to be Barney purple when it dried! I changed that immediately, and have a rich deep blue that we love now.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I would put all the furniture, rugs, art, accessories in place and then see how it looks. I don't think I could ever tell if I liked a color in an empty room.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM

333 posts, read 977,586 times
Yea I would say I've had paint grow on me. I had picked out a color sample of what I "thought" was a turquoise shade, but when we bought it and opened it up it was a greenish blue color and I absolutely did NOT want green on my walls. My parents didn't want the paint going to waste so my mom had the idea to buy white paint to help mix it and make it lighter and we got it to a shade that I was happy with. It's still more of a greenish turquoise, but at-least it's more of what I was wanting. Instead of that ugly ole green. *shutters* Those paint samples are fooling to the eye. We're thinking of re-painting my room a new shade of blue this time as it's been 7 years, so this time I'm making sure I'm getting the right shade!

P.S. If you think you can get the shade you want by doing what we did, then go buy some white paint and start mixing.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
I picked out a very light blue-gray color for my living room and up the staircase into the upstairs landing. I started out painting the staircase, which was a huge pain since the walls are ~20ft tall in the middle of the stairs.

After I had painted the entire staircase area and gotten into the living room, I realized the paint color had dried differently than I expected. It was more of a lavender/gray/purple color. I definitely didn't like it, but painting the stairs was such a pain that I left it on the walls.

I'm still not crazy about the color, but we've matched the curtains and accent furniture using deeper blues which helps bring out some of the blue in the paint. I can tolerate the color now, and it's kinda grown on me to the point that I can handle it now.

My kitchen on the other hand, was supposed to be a darker blue/gray color. The original color turned out to be Barney purple when it dried! I changed that immediately, and have a rich deep blue that we love now.
What color rich deep blue did you use? Was it Navy? We are buying a home and it's painted blue all downstairs. I cannot even explain th color sort of like a royal blue. I like the blue/gray colors better!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Yes. I've used SW-Dover White for all my wood trim for about ten years now.

BM Putnam Ivory has grown on me as well.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 AM

345 posts, read 1,078,317 times
yep. When I first moved into my home, one of the first things I wanted to do was paint the dining room which I use as an office. I decided to move my things into the room and tackle other projects first. Now I couldn't imagine it being any other color! As long as you don't hate it, you may grow to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating