Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 PM

239 posts, read 1,093,014 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of getting granite installed and my husband and I are having a difficult time picking out a color. We have wood floors and white cabinets and white appliances and have an island. I thought the verde butterfly would look good, but he thinks that a tan (santa ceceila?) would look better in our kitchen.

He feels that the dark granite would be too dark and I thought it would be a nice contrast to the white cabinets.

We potentially could be moving in the next year or two, so we would like to stick to something that would appeal to the masses.

Anyone have any suggestions on color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
I like your idea better than your husband's. I'm afraid there is just too much beige in the world.

Your granite idea reminds me a bit of soapstone, which is what we are putting in our white kitchen. It is a very classic look. Our kitchen is very bright, so the dark color didn't scare me. If you don't have many windows it may indeed be too dark if your floors are also dark.

Another really classic idea with white cabinets (and wood floors) is Carrera marble. If the care and upkeep of marble scares you, look for a white granite instead. I friend of mine did this; her granite is white with blue-gray veins. Sorry I don't have an exact color name. You can google-image "white granite" or ask to see some samples at your local stone place.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM

102 posts, read 708,903 times
Look at sagebrush granite.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
Just remember that dark granite reflects light and sometimes that is not a good thing. Dark granite also shows every speck, every smudge. I love Plaidmom's suggestion of a marble-look granite with gray, black or even brown/woodtone colored veining (as in the color of your floor)....that would look very sharp and crisp and would tie your floor color to your counter.

This is our granite - gold and silver is the name. Our slabs have a lot of white in them like the linked picture and the brown color in the granite is the color of our cabinets, the silver in the granite helps tie the granite to the stainless appliances.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCAQ9QEwAw

Here it is with cream colored cabinets

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...330819718.html

Here is an interesting link - lots of granite pics.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...250632300.html

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-01-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,823,250 times
Go with black for sure. With all the white going on, it will look very plain and dull with anything else.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
I thought the verde butterfly would look good...
...so we would like to stick to something that would appeal to the masses. Anyone have any suggestions on color?
It's not that I disagree with your first statement- but you contradict yourself with the second.
Dark green countertops will not appeal to the masses!

I'll second the Carrera mention.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,558,819 times
Verde Butterfly is a very pretty granite, however - I'm with K'ledge -- it will not appeal to the masses, and I'm afraid will end up making the kitchen look "dated" in a short amount of time.

You've got good suggestions here - especially marble or a marble look granite.

Good luck to you! I'm sure its going to be stunning when you're done!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,559,471 times
I like what your husband suggested. A realtor once told me that people are always drawn to lighter colored granite. There is more wow factor than a dark (blackish) granite that loses the natural grain stone look. I really like the one Cattknap suggested - beautiful!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
I chose this to go with natural cherry. I think it would look great with white/cream cabinetry as well, especially since your appliances are also white. It is more charcoal grey with losts of whitish/light gray movement. It reminds me of looking up into the sky on a starry night. "Jet mist"

Jet Mist® is a black Granite from United States ~ GRANITELAND Natural Stone Database

pictured on white cabinets (scroll to bottom)
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...203211273.html

Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times
Absolute black or blue pearl would be my choices, but the blue pearl isn't a "mass appeal" color if you're really concerned about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating