Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM

171 posts, read 791,529 times

Advertisements

I will say we've used peel & stick with success - but it was because the floor was level, clean, and we used a primer called "Henry's" to help with adhesion. It was also NOT the cheapest peel & stick. (I guess that makes it *high-end* peel & stick. LOL.)

That being said, you might be surprised how far sheet vinyl has come. We looked and I saw some cool ones with embossing - it looked like alligator skin and was a gorgeous espresso! Tarkett has some fun designs as well.

Another option is a "waterproof" laminate. It's base is not MDF like regular laminate. The one we looked at was Mannington icore. Can't speak about performance because we didn't choose it.
Just letting you know it's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,255,177 times
Peel and stick= quick fix. Not long lasting.
Lino is still being made and wasn't a trademarked name. Pricey now, from what I understand.
Sheet vinyl may be your best bet. Comes in various shades/textures and with some of the newer (used it in the baths here six years ago or so and I think it was pretty new then) types, glue down isn't your only option.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,993 times
I'll throw something out there that hasn't been mentioned. I'm a big fan of cork floors. They look great, wear well, are a bit forgiving with slabs, and are nice underfoot. Just a thought!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
Has anyone used these before? I am thinking of using them in my kitchen. At first I wanted to put in laminate flooring, but I found out my floor is pretty unlevel and the thought of leveling it out is frightening me for some reason.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with peel-and-stick tiles? Do they hold up over time? Looks good? Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
If your floor isn't level then you may find you have trouble with these too. They don't adhere as well to a surface that isn't level. I know from personal experience.

I would avoid them like the plague, personally.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,954,043 times
Just like others have mentioned in previous posts, vinyl can look bad within a few years just as the sheet, but the individual tiles are horrible. You can find great deals on neutral tiles that are easy to lay down yourself. It took us a while initially when we were figuring things out, but we got the hang of it in no time. The floors look great, are durable and increased the value of our home. We ended up spending a little over $300 for the tile cutter (we got the really cheap one and it still was great - just took more effort and like all cutters is very messy), all the premixed grout - the powder was too much of a pain), all the ceramic tile, and the bucket 'o tools. That was for an area about 400 sq. ft. Next on the agenda, doing the bathrooms. Just have to find some spare time. I thought getting the super good deal on tile would show, but everyone thinks we used the expensive stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating