Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 PM

24 posts, read 61,106 times

Advertisements

I am interested in some opinions.

I am trying to decide on the type of piece to place in a guest room. I have three pieces that I've found online in mind, though I am still in the active phase of searching. I have room for any of the three pieces, so it isn't really a matter of space.

The first is a nineteenth century Italian piece:
Louis XVI Two Drawer Chest Ebonized Italian 19th Century [LouisXVIChest] - $5,600.00 : Antiques, Decorative Arts, Antique Silver, Haute Couture, Fine Art, Jewelry & Gems, Ethnographic Art, Bullion & Coins, New York City's top galleries & artists at D

The second is a French piece:
Louis Philippe 3 Drawer Commode Burl Walnut French 19th Century [BurlWalnutCommode] - $7,200.00 : Antiques, Decorative Arts, Antique Silver, Haute Couture, Fine Art, Jewelry & Gems, Ethnographic Art, Bullion & Coins, New York City's top galleries & a

The third is another French piece:
Code 912

I know it depends a lot on the surroundings, but I would just like a few opinions of whether the second or third pieces would be WAY 'too much' for a guest room. I like the 19th century Italian piece because it seems more cozy and informal.

Even so, I like the distinctiveness of the second piece, the burled walnut commode. I'm wondering if it's way too ornate for an otherwise unassuming guest room. (It would definitely be the focus of the room.) There's just something about the look of the burled walnut that seems extremely inviting.

The third piece seems a little less formal because of the curve details on the drawers, and the dark wood.

Which piece best conveys a sense of warmth and hominess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
First one looks like a piece crap, the veneer is separating on the drawer fronts, I can t believe they want that much for a piece with issues!
Cant tell too much about the 2nd piece, its a really bad pix, but Is my expert opinion that the marble is not original.
3rd piece appears to have some issues as well. looking at the back, it appears to have been mass-manufactured, and is NOT worth the $$$.
Why do want to put such expensive pieces from questionable places in your guest room?
If you want to spend that kind of $, go to a reputable dealer, at least the pieces there will have provenance.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I do not like the first and third ones.

The second one looks the best, but I agree with kshegirl that the marble is not original. I think it has been refinished too.

I wouldn't pay 5k to 7k from an internet set. You can find decent antque pieces for much less.

I'd get in the car and hit the rural roads to see what antique dealers have in their stores. You can always negotiate. They are hurting for money with the recession.

You're just getting ripped off shopping for antiques online.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
First one looks like a piece crap, the veneer is separating on the drawer fronts, I can t believe they want that much for a piece with issues!
Cant tell too much about the 2nd piece, its a really bad pix, but Is my expert opinion that the marble is not original.
3rd piece appears to have some issues as well. looking at the back, it appears to have been mass-manufactured, and is NOT worth the $$$.
Why do want to put such expensive pieces from questionable places in your guest room?
If you want to spend that kind of $, go to a reputable dealer, at least the pieces there will have provenance.
I agree that the pieces are pricey...but won't dealers often haggle, at least to some degree? (Especially with the economy still in the pits)

Also, if they ARE authentic (which I have no reason to doubt), aren't they going to be somewhat expensive? (They will appreciate in value, and so it seems a good place to park some extra funds.)

From my own research, I can say that neither dealer is disreputable. I haven't found any evidence that either would sell inauthentic furniture, but I am not experienced enough to really know if the prices are way off.

Obviously, spending this much (or close to it), I don't want to buy something that is worthless junk. I understand with collectibles and such, there's often a signed and certified certificate stating provenance, but with furniture, is that ever the case?

As I stated, I'm still looking, so this was just my starting point for research, though I did/do like those three pieces particularly.

I'm disappointed that the third piece may be mass-manufactured. Obviously, that would mean it is not worth close to the asking price. What about the back suggests this? (I am not an expert, just a somewhat experienced enthusiast and collector.)

As far as the second piece, how could I tell that the marble has been replaced? (I can visit this one in person; the piece in Cali I unfortunately cannot.)

If the marble top is not original, does that mean the piece is likewise not worth very much in reality?

(( Does that constitute 'refinishing?' I've read a bit about French antiques, and from what I know, it's OK to change the fabric, or have wood added to the underside of a chair, for instance, to help stabilize it. But what about anything beyond this?

I have another post on here specifically regarding refinished antique furniture: //www.city-data.com/forum/home-...furniture.html ))

At this point, I really do think that I prefer the first piece (the Italian one) best. Aren't such old furnishings going to have some issues? If the veneer is separating, can an expert glue it without causing more damage? (I looked again at the photos and didn't see anything like that.)

Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraNY View Post
I agree that the pieces are pricey...but won't dealers often haggle, at least to some degree? (Especially with the economy still in the pits)

Also, if they ARE authentic (which I have no reason to doubt), aren't they going to be somewhat expensive? (They will appreciate in value, and so it seems a good place to park some extra funds.)

From my own research, I can say that neither dealer is disreputable. I haven't found any evidence that either would sell inauthentic furniture, but I am not experienced enough to really know if the prices are way off.

Obviously, spending this much (or close to it), I don't want to buy something that is worthless junk. I understand with collectibles and such, there's often a signed and certified certificate stating provenance, but with furniture, is that ever the case?

As I stated, I'm still looking, so this was just my starting point for research, though I did/do like those three pieces particularly.

I'm disappointed that the third piece may be mass-manufactured. Obviously, that would mean it is not worth close to the asking price. What about the back suggests this? (I am not an expert, just a somewhat experienced enthusiast and collector.)

As far as the second piece, how could I tell that the marble has been replaced? (I can visit this one in person; the piece in Cali I unfortunately cannot.)

If the marble top is not original, does that mean the piece is likewise not worth very much in reality?

(( Does that constitute 'refinishing?' I've read a bit about French antiques, and from what I know, it's OK to change the fabric, or have wood added to the underside of a chair, for instance, to help stabilize it. But what about anything beyond this?

I have another post on here specifically regarding refinished antique furniture: //www.city-data.com/forum/home-...furniture.html ))

At this point, I really do think that I prefer the first piece (the Italian one) best. Aren't such old furnishings going to have some issues? If the veneer is separating, can an expert glue it without causing more damage? (I looked again at the photos and didn't see anything like that.)
As far as the first piece, look at the pix. The veneer pieces on the drawer fronts are clearly visible, that should not be happening. One should be able to run a finger across the jointures without being able to feel it, and if I can see that just from a pix, I guarantee there is some kind of damage, most likely from moisture, which will affect the integrity of the rest of the piece.
Yes, it can be fixed, but it will lower value, and is VERY expensive, not worth it.
The dealers should be offering a certificate of provenance up front, otherwise, it could be anything, even a repro.
At the price points we are speaking of, a provenance is a given.
The piece with the marble top would have had a Carrera marble top, the top that is on it looks brand new, too shiny, you know? It also totally clashes with the wood, a real craftsman from that era would have never allowed that to happen. and yes, it lowers value.
If anything besides upholstery is not original on a piece, it lowers value quite a bit.
I would really suggest educating yourself on antiques, you have a vast array of resources at your disposal in NYC.
Also, I can tell the 3rd piece was mass manufactured by the way the back is constructed. Again, education is the key here.
I learned about antiques at the knee of my uncle, this is something you cant just read and understand, you know?
I would also make a point of frequenting and befriending a really reputable antique dealer in your area, most of them love to talk about their pieces, as it is always almost a passion with them, and they love to educate interested people!
BTW, I posted in your other thread.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I don't care for the 2nd one. I don't like the color of the wood with the color of the top. I personally wouldn't spend that much $$ on any of those pieces, especially for a guest room.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Question Signs of Mass-Produced Period Furnishings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Code 912

OK, I contacted LeLouver Antiques regarding the third piece. (Located in Texas, and not Cali as I had thought.)

I spoke with one of the owners, Mr. Patrick McMalley, over the phone, and he assured me that the piece IS in fact an authentic period piece. But your assessment that is may be mass-produced is quite possibly correct.

He told me that it may well be mass-produced, however, he assured me that even if it WERE mass-produced, that doesn't mean it is inauthentic, or that the existence of other such pieces will diminish its value.

As I'm always trying to increase my knowledge base so that I may make more informed purchases, I'd like to know (if you don't mind sharing) what it was about the back of the piece that led you to think it was mass-produced in the first place. (I could not tell, as I don't know the signs of such.)

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraNY View Post
Code 912

OK, I contacted LeLouver Antiques regarding the third piece. (Located in Texas, and not Cali as I had thought.)

I spoke with one of the owners, Mr. Patrick McMalley, over the phone, and he assured me that the piece IS in fact an authentic period piece. But your assessment that is may be mass-produced is quite possibly correct.

He told me that it may well be mass-produced, however, he assured me that even if it WERE mass-produced, that doesn't mean it is inauthentic, or that the existence of other such pieces will diminish its value.

As I'm always trying to increase my knowledge base so that I may make more informed purchases, I'd like to know (if you don't mind sharing) what it was about the back of the piece that led you to think it was mass-produced in the first place. (I could not tell, as I don't know the signs of such.)

Thanks.
The construction methods used for mass-produced pieces are much different from what one cabinetmaker (bench-made) would use.
A mass produced piece would not command that kind of price, its grossly overpriced for what it is.
There are no mortise and tenon joints on the back, nor dovetailing, which tells me that it is a mass produced piece.
The back of the piece looks very crude compared to the front, do you see it?
An ebiniste (French cabinet maker) would have taken the same care with the back of the piece as the front, as they considered every part of the piece equally important.
Making furniture was considered a fine art in France, the ebinistes were celebrated by royalty, no self-respecting one would turn out a piece with a back like that.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
I agree here with the poster who recommended you get to know antiques.

These peices are grossly over priced.

You might want to try going to auction houses, its a good way to learn about antiques. Even if you don't do any bidding.

Another good spot is antique shows, where you have hundreds or thousands of dealers.

Last edited by virgode; 10-18-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: additional remark

Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I only care for #2... but $7200.00 for the guest room!

NO WAY I'd pay that price for that item, or ANY item for a guest room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating