Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,203 times

Advertisements

The reason I ask is when I moved in here the sellers took something off one of the cabinets which left two giant four inch holes in the wood. Don't ask me why, but I filled them in with spackling and now have these blobs of spackling on one of the cupboards that is adjoined to the kitchen sink. So...since I can't seem to fix the problem without going to HD and ordering a special veneer sheet that costs $75, I thought I'd just paint both sides of each cabinet (which face the sink and are not exactly the honey oak of all my other cabinets) with a taupe color that I'll be painting my entire kitchen and family room in (and I am also painting the ceilings the same color).

I hate to paint over wood and especially cabinets, but it would seem like an easier solution that to go to HD and special order a sheet of veneer. If I ever sell someone else can worry about the problem. I could just sand the spackling down and paint over it. Thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,296,644 times
Works for me.
The former owner probably had somethng mounted there; papertowel holder, etc.
There's a window with a trim color and probably alittle bit of wall the window is mounted to, correct? Stick with that color & finish. It will just look like a surround. If you paint it different, it will stand out. Plus, if you paint it the same, it will "open up" that area even more; it will look brighter & wider.
Just make sure you lightly sand (and wipe any schmuts from sanding) off the side panel surface to give it alittle tooth for the primer, then top coats (2) to bond to.

LOL! You do know it's a full moon, right?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Works for me.
The former owner probably had somethng mounted there; papertowel holder, etc.
There's a window with a trim color and probably alittle bit of wall the window is mounted to, correct? Stick with that color & finish. It will just look like a surround. If you paint it different, it will stand out. Plus, if you paint it the same, it will "open up" that area even more; it will look brighter & wider.
Just make sure you lightly sand (and wipe any schmuts from sanding) off the side panel surface to give it alittle tooth for the primer, then top coats (2) to bond to.

LOL! You do know it's a full moon, right?
Sorry, but a bit slow about the full moon comment?

I don't understand. Do I have to use primer before I paint it? And two coats? Ok.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM
B4U

Yes misty. 1 primer, 2 topcoats to get even coverage and true color.

The full moon coment - tongue-in cheek, for you going crazy with all these projects.
Best of luck. Post pics if you can.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Yes misty. 1 primer, 2 topcoats to get even coverage and true color.

The full moon coment - tongue-in cheek, for you going crazy with all these projects.
Best of luck. Post pics if you can.
Ah, I see. Well, I do have an ulterior motive here. I might need to sell before the wave of foreclosures in 2012. Plus, I just happen to live in the place where housing values are plummeting the MOST in the country. It's a shame to do all this work and then think I might not to be able to enjoy it.

But one never knows. I could get a job and things could turn around. It's a gem of a property and has everything I want except I'd never own another pool. Too dangerous and a real money pit.

Ok, let's see if this works...

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/Mistygrl/picofpool.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-21-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 AM

Hey, it worked. This is my backyard and pool I don't like, but it's sorta pretty. Don't have any pics to post of projects yet, but will see if I can.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 AM
B4U

Oh, it's just beautiful. And those huge, mature palms must be gorgous!
I'm a "water rat", so I can't tell you what that pool does to me.
Where I am, we have an HOA, with a community pool. It's almost always empty of people, except when the "snowbirds'" families visit around the holidays. But it has no shade and it's a concrete slab around a community parking lot. And, as much as I'm a "water rat", I hardly ever use it.
Yours, well, I'd look like a prune morning, noon & night. At night I'd have to stay in it as I'd be bate for the skeeters who know me intimately! LOL!
Enjoy what you have for as long as you can. Good luck with a job. I was out 2 yrs, just landed one, but it's P.T. only. But it's a new location, and a national company. I'm hoping it picks up and I eventually get F.T.
You watch, everything will happen at once and then you'll go crazy in a different way. But in the end, will work out.

Now, back on topic. Any other questions?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Oh, it's just beautiful. And those huge, mature palms must be gorgous!
I'm a "water rat", so I can't tell you what that pool does to me.
Where I am, we have an HOA, with a community pool. It's almost always empty of people, except when the "snowbirds'" families visit around the holidays. But it has no shade and it's a concrete slab around a community parking lot. And, as much as I'm a "water rat", I hardly ever use it.
Yours, well, I'd look like a prune morning, noon & night. At night I'd have to stay in it as I'd be bate for the skeeters who know me intimately! LOL!
Enjoy what you have for as long as you can. Good luck with a job. I was out 2 yrs, just landed one, but it's P.T. only. But it's a new location, and a national company. I'm hoping it picks up and I eventually get F.T.
You watch, everything will happen at once and then you'll go crazy in a different way. But in the end, will work out.

Now, back on topic. Any other questions?
Yes, I think I still have some Killz primer. Can I use that? It's rather old, but I used it to paint over my ceramic tile in the kitchen years ago that was from the 80s (you know the mauve, blue, beige thing going on back then). Do you think it's still good? If not, what do I thin it down with to make it good? Or do I have to go buy new primer? Also, one other thing. I plan to just paint the ceiling in taupe and then cut it off at beige in the other rooms. I thought I'd get some sort of wood strip, but I'm thinking I can get away with just stopping the taupe (light taupe) and the demarcation line and going with it. I don't want to complicate things more than I have to. Hey, congrats on your job!

Let's see, I think that about covers it. I got a call from another guy who will come out and look at what needs to be done. Fortunately, I am a good painter. I'm just not good at other stuff.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM
B4U

Check to see if the paint is any good. If it's not dried on the top, but seperated, stir it.
If it's water-based and smells moldy/mildewy-no good. If it's oil-base and mildewy/mold-no good.
If it's water-based, you shouldn't need to "thin it out". If it's oil-based, it will seperate very quickly, your solids may have dried, while the oil is floating on the top. No good. If the solids haven't dried and have seperated from the oil, just stir it around. If it's alittle "cakey, you can add alittle paint thinner or mineral spirits-which ever you have. But not too much or you destroy the integrity of the product.
As far as the ceiling issue, can't say for sure without seeing the area.

But I gotta go "nap" now as I have a nanny job from 3-10pm+ today, and I've been up since 4:30am and I'd never last straight thru.

Hope to be back here later.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Ok, and here are track lights that will be hard to paint around, but to give you an idea...

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6879/kitchentrack.th.jpg (broken link)

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/Mistygrl/KitchenTrack-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/Mistygrl/KitchenTrack-1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-21-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating