Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times

Advertisements

Our kitchen cabinets were painted white before we moved in, and "wear and tear" tell me it's time to repaint.

I am not opposed to interesting colors. My problem is that I have white appliances: cooktop, wall oven, dishwasher, big ol' fridge. I can't replace all the appliances right now. Though I know it can be done, I'm not interested in painting them. Can you please suggest an up-to-date cabinet color that would go with the white appliances?

The walls are a nice, mild buttery yellow. Counters are a sand-colored laminate. No tile on backsplash. I need to paint it also until I can get tile installed. Floor is a buff-colored tile that I am replacing with hardwood in a month.

This kitchen is open to our small den, which will also have hardwood and has walls that are a lighter color from the same paint family as the kitchen yellow. Den furniture is in the Craftsman style/color palette. In fact, this link shows most of the colors I have used throughout the house.

Bungalow Paint Color Schemes - Pick Your Favorite Historic Colors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is why I am not thrilled about the white.

My husband's decor taste is conservative, and these rooms are SMALL. I might have a hard time convincing him to do something very dramatic. Of course, we could just paint them white again. But I have noticed that so many of you on this forum have great taste, and I would love suggestions for something a bit more creative.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
How about a very muted green. Very classic, very tasteful. (Caveat: I am NOT a decorator but just somebody who thinks that color could look really great with white appliances, buttery walls, and sand colored countertops.) Here is an example of the type of color I was thinking of, that I found online. I think it is called "thyme green".

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 05-07-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the reply! It's funny, but the color you suggested is one of the first I thought of, but I am not a decorator either. In fact, I'm notorious for choosing regrettable colors. I also would have a hard time convincing hubs to do that one because I painted our dining room and a long hallway a dark gray green, but I may try.

I might try to post a pic later today (after I clean up!) because words cannot express how tiny this space is, and I don't know if the darker cabinets would make it appear smaller.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
White appliances go with any color wall however, if your room is small a darker color will make it look darker and smaller. Go with a light color that is very light but not white or cream. A very light blue or yellow, something that has just a tinge of color without being overwhelming.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 26,283 times
To offer a different perspective, I think you should use a bold color as opposed to a muted one. I feel that it's good to have a balance of warm and cool colors in a room. Without actually seeing your room, I'm just guessing that the yellow is a cool color. I could be wrong though.
In any case, going on that it's a cool color, a bold red like this: http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Oil...Red-Purple.gif
would be a good choice. Since the space is small, dark colors might make the room look too dark. Depending on how many cabinets you have though, the color COULD be overwhelming. Only you can judge the cool/warm balance in your kitchen. Red is also nice looking against yellow since they're close to each other on the color wheel. Also, the red would look good with a slightly muted, rich hardwood.
Doing the red would give you a very contemporary style kitchen, which you may or may not be going for?
I don't know what luck you'll have convincing your conservative husband to try a bold red if you like the idea though. I would suggest looking up photos of kitchens with red cabinets and showing him that they work well.

As for my credentials, I'm not expert, but I love design and write an interior decorating blog.

Best of wishes! Post photos of your kitchen when you're done (if that's allowed in the forums?)!

PS. When you do decide to do a backsplash, and if you go with red, a shiny, glassy purple would be absolutely divine. Purple is also yellow's complementary color!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
There is a really nice outline of A&C inspired colors here:
Home Decorating Ideas: Arts and Crafts Movement Paint Palette for the Family Room - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I'll get some more information tonight when I get home.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
First of all you want to choose a colour that YOU, not 'whats in' will like. Im guessing maybe a colour that might slightly contrast with the appliances. Depending on if your kitchen is small or large, you might want to consider what makes it appear a little more 'spacey'.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
You may not want your white appliances to stick out too much. Therefore I would go with a very light brown, beige or tan, which the closer you can get to your countertop color, I think the better it will look. I've seen some kitchens that are basically very light-colored with white appliances, and they use wooden cabinets that are not painted, but rather are of a very light-colored wood like birch.

You could remove one cabinet door, paint it from three diff small paint sampler cans, start with a light color, check it out by standing away from the area, then go for the next darker color, until you're done checking it out. But I think you could have some fun with the backsplash.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM

This is an interesting idea. I may try painting swatches on a door.

While I love the green suggested earlier, I don't actually want my white appliances to stand out more. I think less contrast would be better.

I also like the idea of focusing more on the backsplash. It's just painted a dark red right now because I never bothered to change it.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I love an all-white kitchen.....then things like wood, silver, a beautiful green plant, colorful textiles - they look great against the white and you can change them out with almost no color limitation. Also an all white kitchen can go many ways design-wise - contemporary and austere, cottagy, country, traditional, etc.

I really like this kitchen (which has been featured in Country Living and other magazines) - they have stainless appliances but white would work:

A Country Farmhouse: The Kitchen

Note the butcherblock counters - the wood with the white and stainless is quite beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating