Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 09:27 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

In the ongoing projects on my niece's house, one of the things she doesn't really like is the 1980s tan 'cloud' tile that's all over the house.

Has anyone painted their tile? If so, how difficult was it, how well has it held up? What about wet areas like bathrooms?

Ideally, it would great to just take out the old tile, but budget doesn't allow for that. So just an update to what is there would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 10:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-t...fab90142305776

Looks simple enough. My brother in law hired a painter to do a bathroom in his house. He said he wished he did it himself due to cost….

Old 07-10-2023, 02:41 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I did this temporarily in my half bathroom because I don't feel like doing a real update right now (too many things to do) and needed to get rid of the ugly the previous owner had everywhere.

The walls are fine. The floor is---okay. I find that it's a little sensitive---for example, my husband dropped a tool and it made a scratch mark. The floor scratches easier, IMO, but I am wondering if I did a second coat if it would've been better. I know the paint I used says that it's okay for use in bathrooms but not in tubs.

Reglazing is also an option.

Old 07-11-2023, 05:44 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I did this temporarily in my half bathroom because I don't feel like doing a real update right now (too many things to do) and needed to get rid of the ugly the previous owner had everywhere.

The walls are fine. The floor is---okay. I find that it's a little sensitive---for example, my husband dropped a tool and it made a scratch mark. The floor scratches easier, IMO, but I am wondering if I did a second coat if it would've been better. I know the paint I used says that it's okay for use in bathrooms but not in tubs.

Reglazing is also an option.
Interesting, never knew about reglazing.

Now we have options. Thank you.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:05 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
“Reglazing” is just another name for “paint”!

It’s the type of paint that matters. Over the years of some remodels that I have been involved in, there were a few that had “painted” tile(s)- and that’s exactly what it looks like; painted tile!!!

The only way I would somewhat say it’s an “alternative” to re-tiling, is if you’re putting the house up for sale. Otherwise, I look at it as an “unimprovement”- certainly not something that has any ROI attached to it!

Old 07-11-2023, 10:20 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I've seen this several times, and it NEVER looks like anything but paint on top of tiles. And of course when (not "if") it gets scratched, or starts peeling, it looks awful.

In theory one could geniunely "reglaze" tile: that would involve removing it, applying an enamel (probably a powder) and then fusing it to the underlying glaze at an extremely high temperature. But all this "reglazing" that's supposedly done in place, is paint of various types. And as with all paint, surface prep is 99% of the job - there aren't a lot of ways to prepare a shiny ceramic surface for paint that will both result in decent adhesion AND a shiny surface afterward. You could sandblast it, for example, but aside from the horrific mess, you'd end up with a rough unshiny surface.

Best just to deal with what you've got, and save for replacement.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:40 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Interesting article on reglazing. It's from 2017 but I assume the products and methods have improved since then.

" A professional will come to your home and, after a deep cleaning of the bathroom in question, spray a very thin, opaque, gleaming coat of enamel across the tile, sink, tub, or all of the above—wholly transforming the room in a matter of hours."

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...dated-bathroom

Old 07-11-2023, 01:30 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Interesting article on reglazing. It's from 2017 but I assume the products and methods have improved since then.

" A professional will come to your home and, after a deep cleaning of the bathroom in question, spray a very thin, opaque, gleaming coat of enamel across the tile, sink, tub, or all of the above—wholly transforming the room in a matter of hours."

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...dated-bathroom
In other words, paint.

Actual enamel/glaze is a ceramic product, that has to be fired in a kiln. I don't see mention of the 3000 F kiln anywhere.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:53 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'm not seeing anything stating what type of tile it is (for instance, in my early 20's I rented a place that had plastic-type tiles on the bathroom walls in the horrible either pink or green that was in way-back-when - we just painted it - looked okay while were were there, never heard anymore after moving out either.

Old 07-11-2023, 02:05 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm not seeing anything stating what type of tile it is...

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it's 99% ceramic tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating