Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,242,361 times

Advertisements

I figure that it would be a lot easier to choose compatible colors if I understood the info that is on the back of a paint card.
There is the percentage of red, blue, and yellow, and then there's a bunch of other statistics.
For example, how can I tell which is the warmer gray when comparing several? How can I tell the coolest red when comparing samples?
How would I choose, for example, a red and a gray which were most compatible to each other by the statistics on the back of the paint card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,553,771 times
Default Each paint maker has different info...

The basic "fan deck" is a key tool for both painters to ask for the proper mix of tints and designers to have access to all the manufactures colors.

Some include info about surface finish adjustments (glossier or flatter versionsmof some base will distort the formula more) while other include info about family color comparability -- http://www.thepaintedsurface.com/howchoosecolors.php

Some nicer paint shops will have the various "color families" (warm, cool, neutral, pastel, et) arranged OR in separate "design binders". Most interior architecture firms also have these.

I have seen services on the web that will translate one manufacturer's color formula to other's base , but they charge for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating