Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

92 posts, read 308,943 times

Advertisements

well, i guess hubby is right about the flat-screen being too high above the fireplace...sigh....i just really HATE the area where you put the TV (way too much to the side) and we're TV people, we watch TV when we eat and relax. I watch TV when I cook but the kitchen wall/pole will be in my way to watch the TV, and the worst part of all this is that if I try to place out living set to be in the center of the TV (the only way for us who sit on the other side of the sofa to be able to watch the TV as well), then the sofa will block one of the way to the kitchen= really bad! I personally can care so less about having a fire place since we live in TX and we have the heat many months out of the year that I don't see the point of having a fire place, it's just a traditional or/and trendy thing. If the fire place is a must have just for the trend, then don't have it as a focal point since I don't see myself living an extremely hot area and then look at the fire (overwhelmed w the heat = not romantic at all) but it will a whole different story if I live in the East coast.

Well, thank you for all your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM

61 posts, read 388,076 times
It depends on your fireplace and the size of your TV on whatever it is too high or not. And when did peoples' necks start suddenly turn to putty? You can sit through a two hour movie at a theater looking up, but can't do it for a 30 min sitcom at home?

As far as it being a focal point, it seems like to me that mounting a TV actually removes it as a focal point of the room. By mounting it, you make more room by removing any large stands you may have had previously. Then you can pay more attention to other things in the room (as long as the TV isnt' on).

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,212,689 times
My focal point is the large sideboard my tv is on. It is a gorgeous wood, wrought iron and studs furniture oiece rather than just an entertainment or tv stand. It is large like eight feet long. My tv actually is dwarfed by it lol so it isnt like a big sore thumb sticking out, you definitely get the large presence of the sideboard and hardly notice the tv. I also have some large scale decorative items on it that sort of camoflauge the tv from certain angles. If I entertain, flat screens are easy to move so itd go to the bedroom and I could serve on the sideboard. I am glad I did a furniture piece rather than entertainment center. Armoires you need to make surr they can accomodate larger flat screens. I also have tons of storage. My sister has a monolith armoire that when she gets a flat screen will have to go as the tv opening wouldnt be large enough.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,699,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newie80 View Post
At our new home the TV area is not in the middle of the room but the fire place is (hate it). I want to put a flat screen TV above the fire place but hubby is against and is saying that it will be to high up + he doesn't like the cost. What do you think, too high? Also, does anybody know much it will cost to have my idea done?

Thanks!
Hubby is right plus the heat of a lighted fire will damage any TV directly over the fireplace.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM

18,483 posts, read 31,681,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXFlyer View Post
It depends on your fireplace and the size of your TV on whatever it is too high or not. And when did peoples' necks start suddenly turn to putty? You can sit through a two hour movie at a theater looking up, but can't do it for a 30 min sitcom at home?

As far as it being a focal point, it seems like to me that mounting a TV actually removes it as a focal point of the room. By mounting it, you make more room by removing any large stands you may have had previously. Then you can pay more attention to other things in the room (as long as the TV isnt' on).

because people generally watch TV for longer than 30 minutes at a time.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,161,971 times
I am not a fan but have seen enough installs to know when it looks good and when it doesn't. I hate when people do not install properly and have the cords hanging down the wall or running along the top of the mantel. My fireplace is too high if I were to seriously consider it.

But it all boils down to one thing. It is your house. Do what makes you the most happy!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 PM

92 posts, read 308,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Hubby is right plus the heat of a lighted fire will damage any TV directly over the fireplace.
we NEVER use our fire place at both of our previous houses, so most likely that we wouldn't in the new home.

Well, let see how it works with the TV on the side first and if it doesn't do for us, we might do the flatscreen. Thanks ya'll

Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,918,805 times
Thankfully, our house has a builtin for the TV and other electronics. We can close the door and not see it anytime we want. The built in is at an angle in the corner (open on one side for the entry to the room) and the fireplace is on the wall next to the builtin. We have the flatscreen in the builtin and it fits perfectly.

Last week while on spring break skiing the house we rented was HUGE and had the flat screen tv mounted above the fireplace. By the second night we ALL said we hated it. This was a big group w/ 3 families. It WAS a strain on your neck looking up. It was NOT comfortable at all. I've never been a fan of them being mounted over the fireplace but had never watched one for any length of time in that position till last week.

It's not the same as movie theatres either. Unless you sit on the first rows and I don't do that either. I want to look straight without my neck bent in any direction.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM

61 posts, read 388,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
because people generally watch TV for longer than 30 minutes at a time.
If you have a tilt-mount, don't mount it by the ceiling, and can usually hold your head up during the day, you will not have a problem.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times
Dh and I had same argument 2 years ago. All the decorator shows show TV over the fireplace and I'm afraid our builder put outlets and other electrical work so TV would be over fireplace. Dh had him move it and we got new flatscreen and table for it and I have to agree it works so much better for us than if we had put it over the fireplace. What a dumb trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating