Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 AM

92 posts, read 308,782 times

Advertisements

At our new home the TV area is not in the middle of the room but the fire place is (hate it). I want to put a flat screen TV above the fire place but hubby is against and is saying that it will be to high up + he doesn't like the cost. What do you think, too high? Also, does anybody know much it will cost to have my idea done?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yeah, I have seen flatscreens put over the fireplace, and frankly, that's too high for me (and I have large rooms). Don't like craning my neck up to see - also the sound is best when the speakers are at your seated level.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
I see it advertised for $200-$300, not sure if it includes mounting hardware or moving utilities.

I agree with him - I think over the fireplace is a terrible spot for a flat panel tv. It's too high and often the tv is pointed downward awkwardly to reduce glare or make the color come in correctly. I briefly had one on a shelf above a corner fireplace and there was always glare you couldn't get rid of during the daytime on top of that.

There's also the problem of resale or future technology later. The holes I've seen aren't exactly inconspicuous, and power and a cable jack has to be relocated to the area as well.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
You don't have to mount it - you can simply put your flat screen on a stand and place it on your mantle. My husband built a low wood box (about 4 to 5 inches high) that he painted black - the box has an opening just large enough for the black DVR player - it slides snugly right into the opening and the television sits on top of the black box (on a black stand that came with the television). The television is flanked with very large blue and white Chinese urns. The wires are hidden by stacks of old books. Built-in book cases flank the fireplace so the wires run down into one of the bookcases where there is a plug and cable outlet. The cable box is low and sits nestled amid books on a shelf in the bookcase.

We really didn't want to drill into the brick to mount the television. Our solution works beautifully for us. Our couch sits back quite a ways from the fireplace so it isn't a strain on the next to watch telelvision.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
If you do not plan on using the fireplace, you can just mount it right on the wall where the fireplace is at whatever height you are comfortable with. Before installing our TV, I cut out a TV-sized rectangle out of cardboard and placed it above the fireplace (and other places I'd consider mounting the TV). There was no good place to watch the cardboard...err.. TV when it was above the fireplace.

Just a matter of preference.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
I recently moved to a new apartment with a fire place. I thought about wall mounting. But when I moved in my big sideboard near the fireplace, I decided to put the tv on the sideboard instead. It is either 36 or 38 inches high and perfect viewing height from my furniture. My fireplace isnt large, but Id have to go up at least another foot above that to mount and thats just too high. I also am not sure I would be comfortable with electronics over a heat source. I have a few feet at least between the sideboard and fireplace.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
I think it's too high, plus I think a beautiful piece of art just "makes" a fireplace.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
It is too high over a fireplace. Sitting on a couch and your eyes should be in the "look down" mode, looking up is a strain on the eyes, and also neck.

This trend of the flat screen over the fireplace, not only is it too high, it looks ugly. When people had console televisions they always had a place for it, why can't they find a place for a flatscreen instead of over the fireplace.....or does every room have a fireplace where we didn't years ago???

........I think it is just an ugly trend and takes away from the focal point of the room which would be the fireplace....Like another poster said, artwork over it looks much better.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
I have seen this done a couple of times on HGTV and I think it looks ridiculous to have a TV over the fireplace! For one, I hate it when a TV is the whole "focal point" of a room. For another, it's ruining the look of a fireplace altogether. I would certainly come up with an alternative plan. I still like the armoires where you can shut the doors and not see the TV at all!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I like my tvs at eye level when I'm stitting on the couch. I don't like them mounted very high on the wall or above a fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating