Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM

110 posts, read 657,974 times

Advertisements

I am using Winwax oil-based stain for my kitchen cabinet refinishing project. The instructions say "recoat after 4-6 hours". However, it has been two days and the paint is still wet/sticky. I am not sure if I did it correctly or how to fix it. Any suggestion? Thanks much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlove View Post
I am using Winwax oil-based stain for my kitchen cabinet refinishing project. The instructions say "recoat after 4-6 hours". However, it has been two days and the paint is still wet/sticky. I am not sure if I did it correctly or how to fix it. Any suggestion? Thanks much in advance.

You say it's a refinishing project so I'm assuming you stripped the old ones down,cleaned them good and then applied the Minwax stain. If so there could be some of the old finish still imbedded deep in the wood causing the new finish to dry slower,also temperature and humidity levels will affect drying times.Darker stain colors will also take longer as there's more pigment in there.All the oil base products now have lower VOC's which slow the drying process down.Years ago we use to be able to stain in the morning and within 4-5 hours first coat Poly,not any more.There are times where even on new wood after 24 hours it's still tacky,I'd give it another day or so and it should be good.Just make sure it's totally dry before you apply the top coat otherwise you're in for a lot more problems.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlove View Post
I get the feeling you just trashed your old kitchen. You did not say you stripped the old finish off. Oil stain is penetrating and will penetrate raw wood but will sit on the surface of old paint for months without drying.

And you do not have to recoat at all. Recoating is only if you desire a darker shade of the color you choose. You should apply and after just a few minutes wipe the stain right back off with paper towels or a clean rag. I also wonder your intent if the stain was successful. Do you know you have to put a clear coat over the stain? And doing it by brush will only leave a finished product that causes others to point and laugh. You willing to rent a sprayer to shoot it yourself? How about learning how to do it?

My friend you took on more then you can handle and now it's going to cost you in time and dollars to make it right.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I get the feeling you just trashed your old kitchen. You did not say you stripped the old finish off. Oil stain is penetrating and will penetrate raw wood but will sit on the surface of old paint for months without drying.

And you do not have to recoat at all. Recoating is only if you desire a darker shade of the color you choose. You should apply and after just a few minutes wipe the stain right back off with paper towels or a clean rag. I also wonder your intent if the stain was successful. Do you know you have to put a clear coat over the stain? And doing it by brush will only leave a finished product that causes others to point and laugh. You willing to rent a sprayer to shoot it yourself? How about learning how to do it?

My friend you took on more then you can handle and now it's going to cost you in time and dollars to make it right.
Another nasty post

You didnt "trash your kitchen".

If you didn't strip your doors first and the stain is still sticky all you have to do is use mineral spirits to wipe it off and start fresh.

It is VERY possible to varnish or polyurithane with a brush. Lye the doors flat only when the stain is completely dry and use even brushstrokes with the brush soaked most of the time. The poly or varnish will self-level and dry. Then you will have a pretty good finish without renting spray equipment, dealing with overspray and trashing the environment.

ALSO ! ! wear a respirator even when working with these chemicals outside.
Don't settle for a little paper mask like on TV.

PS. If you DID, in fact, apply the stain to raw wood then you probably just need to wipe some off, again using a rag and mineral spirits.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Another nasty post

You didnt "trash your kitchen".

If you didn't strip your doors first and the stain is still sticky all you have to do is use mineral spirits to wipe it off and start fresh.

It is VERY possible to varnish or polyurithane with a brush. Lye the doors flat only when the stain is completely dry and use even brushstrokes with the brush soaked most of the time. The poly or varnish will self-level and dry. Then you will have a pretty good finish without renting spray equipment, dealing with overspray and trashing the environment.

ALSO ! ! wear a respirator even when working with these chemicals outside.
Don't settle for a little paper mask like on TV.

PS. If you DID, in fact, apply the stain to raw wood then you probably just need to wipe some off, again using a rag and mineral spirits.
What did I do to deserve that? I can't revenge you by saying your post is nasty too because it ain't but anyone who gives instructions to "lye the doors flat" as well as that other nonsense you posted is doing no one any favors. Telling people things that will needlessly cost them money is not fair to them so if you don't know how it works then stand back and by all means jump right in when it's a subject you are familiar with.

And your instructions on how to paint. Did you ever hear of "last stroke into the wet"? I did, first day in class over 30 years ago.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What did I do to deserve that? I can't revenge you by saying your post is nasty too because it ain't but anyone who gives instructions to "lye the doors flat" as well as that other nonsense you posted is doing no one any favors. Telling people things that will needlessly cost them money is not fair to them so if you don't know how it works then stand back and by all means jump right in when it's a subject you are familiar with.

And your instructions on how to paint. Did you ever hear of "last stroke into the wet"? I did, first day in class over 30 years ago.
you never cease to not impress me.

I'm underwelmed with your "knowledge"

If you really think that laying the doors flat to varnish them is bad advise than you have probably just wasted "30 years"

AND !............. what make you think that YOU are the only one on City Data that knows this stuff ?
haha

Reminds me of the clerks at Radio Shack that think they are geniuses and all of the customers are idiots.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:

If you really think that laying the doors flat to varnish them is bad advise than you have probably just wasted "30 years"

AND !............. what make you think that YOU are the only one on City Data that knows this stuff ?
haha

Reminds me of the clerks at Radio Shack that think they are geniuses and all of the customers are idiots.
Well first of all, varnish went out of style with the 8 track tape. Can you even buy that stuff anymore? I have not seen it on the shelf in recent times. So that is bad advice which would send the poster...or your customer on a wild goose chase which would pizz them off royally.

Thanks for the compliment though, my book gets wonderful reviews on Amazon too. Some love my strong views and my way of presenting them. Others hate it because they are told they can remodel a kitchen for $895 and when I say otherwise they cry foul. Yet others are insulted because they feel Home Depot is king of the bargain and when I prove otherwise they holler at me for that too. But those who write me to thank me for saving them so much money and time in their home improvement projects make me sleep really well at night. I also used to teach kitchen design at the local college adult night courses. Yea some thought I was too strong but they learned some valuable information which hopefully they put to use.

I'm not the only one on this forum who knows what they are talking about. There are several who do this for a living and are smarter then the average bear who happily write long winded posts to help others. Yet many others feel good about posting a few sentences about their personal experiences and hardships. Don't fault me for what I do and how I do it. I spend a great deal of time on this forum and several others (under my stage name) where the posters are professionals....just doing this. You won't see me wasting time posting about politics and all that crap. I love to help people. I have a gift and I am so happy to share it. Like a bad TV program, watch it or shut it off.

Your description of the Radio Shack employees are exactly as I describe with the big box store employees. None are home improvement experts. Their experience is they hung a curtain rod for their mother.

Whatever the case.......take care of yourself.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:

haha

Too bad you spend more time trashing others than helping those who are asking for knowledge.
That speaks volumes.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Too bad you spend more time trashing others than helping those who are asking for knowledge.
That speaks volumes.

I don't "trash others"

I point out when they are misleading people on this forum who are asking for advice.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
I don't "trash others"

I point out when they are misleading people on this forum who are asking for advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating