Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 PM

81 posts, read 189,370 times

Advertisements

Thank you Wild Card, Desert Sun and Texas Fire Wheel!! I'm going to be taking tons of pictures before, during and after. The cabinets should be installed starting next Weds or Thurs!! I'm nervous, but excited. I just don't want to make a mistake with the granite. lol. I'm Hoping to take a ride to Jacksonville tomorrow and check out more slabs of granite just to make sure the sample I have is the perfect one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaiden51 View Post
Thank you Wild Card, Desert Sun and Texas Fire Wheel!! I'm going to be taking tons of pictures before, during and after. The cabinets should be installed starting next Weds or Thurs!! I'm nervous, but excited. I just don't want to make a mistake with the granite. lol. I'm Hoping to take a ride to Jacksonville tomorrow and check out more slabs of granite just to make sure the sample I have is the perfect one!!

Your welcome~ I love and enjoy kitchen makeovers~~~Yes please do a lot pics....

Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Ya know...I forgot to tell you something important. I hope you see this before you buy. Most people go to the granite yard to pick out the most pretty granite that matches all their color schemes. They buy it, get it installed and then go out and buy the sealer. Or pay some clown to apply the sealer.

Oops!!!!!!!

Guess what. The sealer changes the color in a big way. So the color granite you picked no longer is that color. I'd rather you not seal that granite but instead learn some food safety habits. Granite IS NOT FOOD SAFE. And sealing only improves this slightly.

So be careful and keep this in mind.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:00 AM

81 posts, read 189,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ya know...I forgot to tell you something important. I hope you see this before you buy. Most people go to the granite yard to pick out the most pretty granite that matches all their color schemes. They buy it, get it installed and then go out and buy the sealer. Or pay some clown to apply the sealer.

Oops!!!!!!!

Guess what. The sealer changes the color in a big way. So the color granite you picked no longer is that color. I'd rather you not seal that granite but instead learn some food safety habits. Granite IS NOT FOOD SAFE. And sealing only improves this slightly.

Thank you Desert Sun! We haven't gone yet, in fact it may not be until Tues. Looks like a busy weekend. Can you elaborate on how it changes the colors? Deepen/Lighten them? Or in another way? Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you Desert Sun! We haven't gone yet, in fact it may not be until Tues. Looks like a busy weekend. Can you elaborate on how it changes the colors? Deepen/Lighten them? Or in another way? Thanks again!
The new appearance will be a translucent darker shade of what the granite was raw. Some of the eye catching color variations will weaken it's eye appeal.

If you really want to see for yourself. If your city has a Floor and Decor store go there. They sell floor tiles and have many granite tiles. Each tile on display will have half sealed and half not. You will get to see exactly the before and after of sealing VS raw. It's very interesting and I feel it's very honest which is why this store is so successful. And no one anywhere can beat their prices for any type flooring. A true flooring discounter.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Hi, all. I just stumbled across this thread and had to jump in. I've posted in the forum before when we were doing our kitchen over a couple of years ago and remember desertsun and all his wisdom.

Best of luck, SeaMaiden. I remember the excitement when we did ours. It'll be 2 years this summer and it's still like we just had it done last week - we love every single bit of it. We're in the same boat you are - this is going to be the last place we buy and we went all out with our new kitchen - also my first one at 54 yo. We designed it ourselves, with the help of the folks at Lowes - I know, I know - but we were pleased, so WTH?

We went with a lot of bells and whistles, including a cabinet strictly for pots and pans which is my favorite of all of them. We bought Diamond brand cabinets in a natural Hickory, all wood (DH is big into wood and has done a lot of woodworking).

We also did a granite sink under the countertop but quartz countertops for some of the very reasons that desertsun mentioned. The look is not quite as dramatic or beautiful as the granite, but we don't have to worry about sealing it. Ever.

I tell you, having a kitchen you like and are proud of is heaven. DH and I both like to cook, and this has been a joy.

I wish you the same and hope that it all turns out well.

PS - I'm with you - not crazy about SS appliances at all. Ours are black and are quite striking, but they sure attract dust and cat hair!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Hi, all. I just stumbled across this thread and had to jump in. I've posted in the forum before when we were doing our kitchen over a couple of years ago and remember desertsun and all his wisdom.

Best of luck, SeaMaiden. I remember the excitement when we did ours. It'll be 2 years this summer and it's still like we just had it done last week - we love every single bit of it. We're in the same boat you are - this is going to be the last place we buy and we went all out with our new kitchen - also my first one at 54 yo. We designed it ourselves, with the help of the folks at Lowes - I know, I know - but we were pleased, so WTH?

We went with a lot of bells and whistles, including a cabinet strictly for pots and pans which is my favorite of all of them. We bought Diamond brand cabinets in a natural Hickory, all wood (DH is big into wood and has done a lot of woodworking).

We also did a granite sink under the countertop but quartz countertops for some of the very reasons that desertsun mentioned. The look is not quite as dramatic or beautiful as the granite, but we don't have to worry about sealing it. Ever.

I tell you, having a kitchen you like and are proud of is heaven. DH and I both like to cook, and this has been a joy.

I wish you the same and hope that it all turns out well.

PS - I'm with you - not crazy about SS appliances at all. Ours are black and are quite striking, but they sure attract dust and cat hair!
Thanks for the compliments my friend!!!!!!!! This is why I do what I do. I love to teach and help others. Hope you are enjoying that natural hickory as it is quite at the bottom of consumer choice. Only white cabinets are a worse seller then hickory. But I love hickory. You really have to honestly love wood to choose hickory. It really puts Mother Nature in your kitchen unlike any other wood species.

Many thanks to you for the good word.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 PM

You're very welcome.

We didn't chose the cabinets for someone else to buy in the future or for its popularity. We hope to be in this house for the next 30+ years and it's what we liked and wanted. It's beautiful; the natural grain is so distinctive and very woodsy. Just what we like. Just because we live in Florida doesn't mean we have to have pastel everywhere like some folks. That's great for them, but not for us. The house has an open concept to it and whenever I look over at our kitchen, I just smile.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Oops!!!!!!!

Guess what.The sealer changes the color in a big way So the color granite you picked no longer is that color. I'd rather you not seal that granite but instead learn some food safety habits. Granite IS NOT FOOD SAFE. And sealing only improves this slightly.

I didn't know that... Good advice~.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM

It definitely pays to do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating