Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me what all these tiny blackish-brownish dots are on my white wood blinds? Is it possible that the flies/insects are leaving "deposits" on them? They're very difficult to clean and I think I may need to call a professional blind cleaner. I've had wood blinds before, but I've never seen such a thing! Any clues?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,331 times
Tough to say without seeing pics but I would be more concerned about it being mold. If it is bug poo, than I would call an exterminator and clean the blinds and chances are you'll be done with it.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Tough to say without seeing pics but I would be more concerned about it being mold. If it is bug poo, than I would call an exterminator and clean the blinds and chances are you'll be done with it.
That's a good point, but it's not mold. It smears when it's wiped. Really gross! Maybe an exterminator will be able to identify it.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
mold or mildew would smear too. It could be tiny little bugs that are attracted by the light and die on the blinds. No matter, I'm betting that it will come back.

I'm betting on mold. Do some blinds seem to be worse than others? Are those in rooms that are more humid?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,146 times
The last time I saw small dark colored dots it turned out to be roaches. They deposit these to mark territory and attract other roaches.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
The last time I saw small dark colored dots it turned out to be roaches. They deposit these to mark territory and attract other roaches.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the post. When we bought our house, it had been empty for a while and these brownish black spots were on the blinds. Our exterminator told us they were those smokey brown roaches/palmetto bugs/water bugs (whatever you want to call them).

Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I read the post. When we bought our house, it had been empty for a while and these brownish black spots were on the blinds. Our exterminator told us they were those smokey brown roaches/palmetto bugs/water bugs (whatever you want to call them).
OMG!!! I think I'm going to have a heart-attack!!! ROACHES? I'm calling the exterminator first thing in the morning! YUCK!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,146 times
If it does turn out to be roaches, inspect your kitchen top to bottom. They like corners and little hidden areas. The black spots are not healthy to have around. I recommend washing your dishes each time by hand before you use them and until the roaches are treated.

Here's a little of my story. The first time the exterminator came (previous residence, 2BR apt) he only used a spray....wasn't enough. The second visit he applied a sticky substance to the cabinets where the shelf met the cabinet wall and underneath the counter. This was a long term treatment and it worked. Still, I kept roach traps in various spots (underneath the sink, the stove, etc.)

I also became a big fan of boric acid. I applied boric acid along the baseboards and behind the refrigerator along the wall. Boric acid is also useful for killing other types of bugs dead as well. One application last several months.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 PM

239 posts, read 877,627 times
I've found multiple, tiny, brown spots under spiders' webs in our house... I figured out that it's spider droppings (or some type of remnant of killing prey). Spray bleach cleaner takes care of it, along with removing the spider and it's web, of course!

I havent seen what the cockroach spots look like, so I can't comment on that...

Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
My guess too......roaches .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating