Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM

114 posts, read 849,924 times

Advertisements

We have this discolored linoleum flooring - the one that comes in rolls. Could I cover it in laminate interlocking flooring? The floor is also dipping in one area of the room ever so slightly.

It's an older house, and we're on a tight budget. It's not a huge priority, as I have area rugs all around.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM

30,489 posts, read 16,202,768 times
probably be best to remove the linoleum 1st. And since no floor covering is going to look the well when put over a bad floor, might be better to save your pennies until you can do both.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
We have this discolored linoleum flooring - the one that comes in rolls. Could I cover it in laminate interlocking flooring? The floor is also dipping in one area of the room ever so slightly.

It's an older house, and we're on a tight budget. It's not a huge priority, as I have area rugs all around.

Thoughts?

Yes you can install laminate over a linoleum floor because the laminate is a floating floor. I would just make sure to cut off any broken or ripped pieces of your vinyl if you have any.

As far as the dips, I guess it depends how bad the dips are. You "can" put the laminate over it but it is possible that the seams will split...maybe you can add some extra underlayment in the dips Dips are also better than humps At least you can fill dips.

Here is some info that might help.
install laminate floors

Old 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
You need to be sure that the sub-floor beneath the linoleum is sound, too. If the linoleum floor is moving, then the laminate floor will fail because it requires a solid sub-floor beneath it.

Also ... I've seen laminate floors installed over other flooring systems where the laminate height was enough to block the removal of other appliances due to clearance issues ... such as a dishwasher, or a stacked stove unit with a second stove overhead that had to clear a cabinet above it. The stove could not be lifted up over the threshold of the laminate floor, so the cabinets had to come out before the stove could be lifted and moved. You might also have threshold clearance issues with doors or adjoining spaces, so be sure to check that before building up the additional floor height.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
probably be best to remove the linoleum 1st. And since no floor covering is going to look the well when put over a bad floor, might be better to save your pennies until you can do both.

The linoleum should be left in tact if its attached good as it will act as a vapor barrier.

You need in install a floor leveling compound to the area that has a dip, let it dry a day. After it's dry tape a one foot square section of visqueen over the patched area and check it the next day for moisture. If its dry you're good to go, if not let it dry longer and re-check for moisture before installing you new flooring.

busta

Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 AM

30,489 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
The linoleum should be left in tact if its attached good as it will act as a vapor barrier.

You need in install a floor leveling compound to the area that has a dip, let it dry a day. After it's dry tape a one foot square section of visqueen over the patched area and check it the next day for moisture. If its dry you're good to go, if not let it dry longer and re-check for moisture before installing you new flooring.

busta
hmp learned something today!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM

thanks for the suggestions! the dip is ever so slight. old house settled many moons ago.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
How old is your house? And How picky are you? There just might be a nice old wood floor under there.

In my 1850's house I removed layers of old kitchen linoleum etc to reveal old wide pumpkin pine flooring. Its not perfect but I think the dings and mouse holes add to its charm. Also all it cost me was a lot of elbow grease and some floor finish. JMO. I prefer old and beat up to new and shiny. Other peeps are more into shiny. To each his own.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yes you can install laminate over a linoleum floor because the laminate is a floating floor. I would just make sure to cut off any broken or ripped pieces of your vinyl if you have any.

As far as the dips, I guess it depends how bad the dips are. You "can" put the laminate over it but it is possible that the seams will split...maybe you can add some extra underlayment in the dips Dips are also better than humps At least you can fill dips.

Here is some info that might help.
install laminate floors
Nifty link, younglisa, thank you! Makes it seem so simple and doable.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
How old is your house? And How picky are you? There just might be a nice old wood floor under there.

In my 1850's house I removed layers of old kitchen linoleum etc to reveal old wide pumpkin pine flooring. Its not perfect but I think the dings and mouse holes add to its charm. Also all it cost me was a lot of elbow grease and some floor finish. JMO. I prefer old and beat up to new and shiny. Other peeps are more into shiny. To each his own.
Ya know, i thought about this. I can clearly see what it looks like in my closet, and it aint pretty. But maybe i can not see beyond what it looks like. Ots got large gaps in between the planks. I'll try to take a snap shot and post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating