Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

JohnHenry, glad you were able to refine your decisions....

....although I wish my suggestion had "won" (sniff, sniff)....

P.S. That's OK, I think I found the inspiration for when we own a house again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,244 times
Wow, that looks great! And just when I thought I was closer to making up my mind...

In other news, today I picked up a few of Sherwin Williams' booklets, the ones which have pre-matched pallets of differing styles. One which has a couple of grays I like can be seen here. (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/hgtv_home/color_collections/livable_luxe/ - broken link)

HOWEVER- I've just noticed that my monitor, which I'd always thought was fairly accurate, shows the colors as being very, very different from the booklet. It seems as though all my time thinking about colors online may have been completely for naught. Turns out my monitor is more colorblind than I.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
I like that photo in the SW spread of the black room leading into the gray room (although I would never be brave enough to have black walls?).

Did you know that if you go to the SW website you can upload photos of your room and "virtually paint" your room? It is a neat way to compare colors side by side before you get those test quarts.

Also, there are so many grays, from silver to taupe, if you Google "best gray paint colors" you will find many blogs devoted to listing several of the more popular gray shades from Benjamin Moore, SW, etc., with photos! (Just don't rely on your color blind monitor! )

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM

81 posts, read 189,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
Haha... I hear ya!

I should probably point out that the room will not be lacking in color. One of the centerpieces will be one of my aquariums, one like this:

(That one is still in rough form, just posted to give you an idea of the colors.)

By the way, did you go ahead with your seashell back-splash idea? I hope I didn't gross you out with my opinion on the inclusion of seahorses.
The aquarium will be spectacular!! I can see where the gray walls and reddish flooring would be sooo awesome!!

Well, about my backspash...it hasn't happened yet. We are getting our granite installed this Monday!! So I will be working on it for the next few weeks getting the pattern I want. No you didn't gross me out about the sea horses..I collect them. Good luck with your selections!!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
i have a kitchen with out dated two-toned red linoleun with black lines. refrig is black and stove is white. cabinets are dark brown. and have a silver heat radiator adgacent the refrig. what color could i possibly paint the wallsto match the floor?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by help needed View Post
i have a kitchen with out dated two-toned red linoleun with black lines. refrig is black and stove is white. cabinets are dark brown. and have a silver heat radiator adgacent the refrig. what color could i possibly paint the wallsto match the floor?
Maybe a blue and yellow striped wallpaper- that should round-out the color wheel spectrum!

Seriously; you got a major wreck on your hands. Start by prioritizing. If the cabinets are in good condition and the color is compatible with your end vision- keep them, and work around them. Next would be appliances- having ONE color that goes with the cabinets would probably work (that's the two most expensive elements of the kitchen). Then a coordinating flooring material; whether it be vinyl, tile, or wood. Then a wall color- and it doesn't have to be paint. There's nothing wrong with wallpaper- especially in a kitchen. Walls tend to get dirtier because of cooking, the paper makes for easier cleaning.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
If you go with gray walls, then I advise going warm on the floors and ceiling. I think I might be tempted to go darker as well on the floor. Then choose the ceiling color to blend with the floor--mostly likely much lighter.

With cool gray walls and dark warm floor, you can choose warm furniture tones, such as the dark reds that are popular now. If you intend to go ashy or gray or black with your furniture, then I'd try to choose a warmer color, or a warm gray and cooler toned floors.

I can't see the red of the floor color you like on my monitor, but in theory gray and red should look good together. But try to see the undertone of the gray you select. If you decide you have to have the red floor, then choose the gray of the walls to blend with that.

There are many grays out there, and they all seem to have different undertones which allow them to work and play with a certain other colors. If color is difficult for you, you could hire a decorator for one visit to assist you in choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating