Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

Here are some cute ideas for paths and I love the name of the web site:

Down the Garden Path

If those aren't enough to inspire you, Google "curved garden paths lawn" . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
The front door is behind the blue spruce bush. :-) You're right, it's hard to see! There is a nice sidewalk, but it's not visible from the front. I like the idea of another (curving) path to it from the road. I picture something wide and welcoming with plantings on the sides of it. Great ideas everyone! Thanks!
You'll want to remove a couple of the overgrown bushes but not all. The blue spruce bush should be moved or removed so that the front door is not visually blocked. This is a safety issue (your personal safety). Ideally foundations plantings should never be so large that a person can hide themselves behind them.

I'd trim up the maples a bit and plant around them to bring the red from the roof out into the yard. Closer to the house I'd add plants with white and yellows to lighten it up. Perhaps some large pots in the front or the addition of a porch under those center windows?

You can also do some lightscaping to add to both security and curb appeal after dark.

Unless you are expecting foot traffic from the street to the front door regularly I don't know that I would add a curvy walk to the front door from it. Some architectural styles lend themselves to such more readily but I don't know that your potential home does.

I think you could really jazz it up with some Hardi-shingles and some shutters. Of course that is going to run some $$ and might not be your idea of economical.

JamesHardie Siding | Residential Siding from James Hardie

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-10-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM

81 posts, read 189,370 times
The house is wonderful! If it were me, I would leave the trees...I'm a tree hugger anyway, lol, trim them back and add a colorful garden! Don't forget to make those beautiful breezy rooms, you posted pics of in another thread, a reality!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
This is a home we are considering buying. Is there any hope for updating the exterior without throwing a ton of money into it? If we updated the windows, what style would look nice? We would, of course, keep the brick. How can we lighten it up? Trimming or tearing out bushes would be beneficial, right? Thanks for your thoughts!
I'd stucco the eaves, maybe make it look tudor style...

Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
As far as the trees go, cut all the branches off that are below the roof line - this will open up the front of the house. Trees should never cover up or mask your entrance or front door.

I would love to see more pictures of your house - better pictures with more detail.

I think you have a nice looking home!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,613 times
The house looks great! I also think you will be surprised at what some landscaping updates will do for the look and feel. If you did want to make some other updates, you could lighten up the board and batten in the gable and brighten the trim!

mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 08-13-2011 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: ads not allowed--feel free to help-no links to personal blogs/websites..

Old 08-13-2011, 05:13 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I would take out the tree in the front of the house. It hides the house and it is quite a nice looking home. It is nestled in the greenery and does have a charming nice appeal to it.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I would take out the tree in the front of the house. It hides the house and it is quite a nice looking home. It is nestled in the greenery and does have a charming nice appeal to it.
I think the angle of the photo is the issue, not the tree.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
The tree does not need to go. It just needs pruned. I can't stand when people buy houses and tear out all of the trees and bushes.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM

889 posts, read 2,713,265 times
I'm a tree hugger and a tree pruner, but not a tree murderer. :-) ;-) Realtors sometimes take lousy photos from lousy angles. I like the "nestled in" feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating