Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 6,476 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this is my first time here and it seems like a great and helpful forum.

I just finished closing on my first apartment; it is a two bedroom with the living room and kitchen being separated by a wall.

I have the option to either just put a big tv on the wall and a couch opposite or tear down the wall and make it an open space.

I'm attaching several pictures and hoping for some opinions.

The first two pictures are of the apartment with nothing in it.

The next picture is the apartment with the wall taken out: instead of the wall they have a bar table type of thing with the TV in the corner.

The last picture is an apartment with a TV on the wall.

I really like the open space but don't know where I would put the TV if the wall was taken out because I would like a big one with surround sound.

My friend suggested to put the TV on the opposite wall and have a couch separating the kitchen and the living room. The other suggestion was to put a TV in the corner like the third picture but just get a bigger sized one.

Any opinions would be a great help thank you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with a design question: to tear or not to tear a wall down.-photo-1.jpg   Please help with a design question: to tear or not to tear a wall down.-photo-2.jpg   Please help with a design question: to tear or not to tear a wall down.-photo-4.jpg   Please help with a design question: to tear or not to tear a wall down.-photo-5.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,157,821 times
Couple of questions after a comment.
Before you decide to remove a wall make sure it is not a weight bearing wall.

When you say take down the wall - do you mean remove the entire wall or just a portion? It is hard to judge exactly which wall you are speaking about by the pictures. The first 2 pictures are clear which wall we are talking about. Where are the 3 and 4th pictures relative to the wall you are thinking about removing? Is that wall the peninsula wall?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM

The wall can be taken down but not entirely.

In the third picture you see the counter top attached to the portion of the wall which was left. The counter top replaced the majority of what was the wall before.

The fourth picture is the same wall as in the first two except with a tv wall unit.

Hope this explains it. Thank you for your quick reply.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
I would ask myself a couple of questions. how sloppy am I? if I take down the wall will I always be looking at a sink full of dirty dishes? do you want a wall separating the two spaces? if it were me I would take that wall down in an instant, looking at the second picture, the kitchen looks very narrow and closed in. as far as the tv I would find a killer table to set it on if I couldn't find a wall big enough. just make sure all the cords are hidden well. it looks like a great space. congrats

Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
I say take it down. The space is much more usable without it. The TV floating in midair on the last picture looks very silly. You have a lot of other places in the living room where you can put a tv.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,157,821 times
I would take the wall down and open the space up but personally am not a fan of "moving art" on a wall. I would put it on a nice table, if necessary you can buy a corner unit to put it on. JMO

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I'm leaning towards taking the wall down. Theoretically, if I put a TV in the corner like the second apartment where could I put a dining table?

Do you think I could place a tv on the wall opposite the kitchen thus not having to see any dirty dishes and have a couch separating the kitchen and tv?

Thanks again

Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,966 times
Take it down, please.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
I would take down the wall. How big is the living room where you put the sofa? I personally like sofas in the middle of the room especially if there is enough space to put a sofa table behind it. It looks like a one butt kitchen and would feel like a cave if the wall stays up.

Congrats on the new place.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if I take down the wall will I always be looking at a sink full of dirty dishes?
This!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating