Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times

Advertisements

Desertsun, I'm doing a whole new kitchen. The old one is going to be ripped out and I'm going to make this new kitchen one that is right for me. I'm not in a wheelchair but I have arthritis and a torn miniscus in my knees and am unable to kneel on them, or even bend too low. We haven't started demo yet because we're redoing the whole apartment but I want to have an idea of what I need and whats available before I even get to that point.
I looked at the pictures in the "Kitchen Chronicles' thread and I saw some ideas I might want to incorporate into my kitchen. I like the corner garbage recepticle cabinet and the cabinet that looks like it would hold cookie sheets.

Jukesgrll.. I was going to ask how Ikea cabinets were. I'm glad you posted. Are they sturdy and do they hold up well? How long have you had yours?
I haven't had a chance to check out those Ikea links yet, but if my 7yr. old grandson ever goes to bed, I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Desertsun, I'm doing a whole new kitchen. The old one is going to be ripped out and I'm going to make this new kitchen one that is right for me. I'm not in a wheelchair but I have arthritis and a torn miniscus in my knees and am unable to kneel on them, or even bend too low. We haven't started demo yet because we're redoing the whole apartment but I want to have an idea of what I need and whats available before I even get to that point.
I looked at the pictures in the "Kitchen Chronicles' thread and I saw some ideas I might want to incorporate into my kitchen. I like the corner garbage recepticle cabinet and the cabinet that looks like it would hold cookie sheets.

Jukesgrll.. I was going to ask how Ikea cabinets were. I'm glad you posted. Are they sturdy and do they hold up well? How long have you had yours?
I haven't had a chance to check out those Ikea links yet, but if my 7yr. old grandson ever goes to bed, I will.
First off, you do not want IKEA, they are pure complete and total junk. Just one step up from the Chinese made formaldehyde and sulfur infested cabinets that are making people sick from exposure. I don't care that you can install a whole new kitchen for $895.00. Your life and health is more valuable then that. If nothing else, you should be supporting American manufacturers. This country is in a deeper depression then 1928. We need to work together since this despicable govt can't (or won't).

Go to a small kitchen dealer near you. I highly recommend Merillat. If you wish I will PM you some condensed parts of my published book that will guide you through the whole procedure step by step. It will save you a great deal of money, time and aggravation from idiot clowns who poison the field I love. A field that has already been devastated by the economic depression. The biggest clowns of all are from the big box stores. People call them Kitchen Designers. None are Kitchen Designers, they are cabinet sales people who had a 3 day class on how to design for profit, not for maximum efficient and ergonomic design. If you ask those clowns to do an ADA kitchen they'd probably think you were talking about an Assistant District Attorney rather then Americans With Disabilities Act.

Good luck

Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Or cheaper yet:

AKURUM Corner base cabinet with carousel - white, Härlig white - IKEA

RATIONELL Corner base cab pull-out fitting - IKEA

RATIONELL Corner base cabinet carousel - IKEA

AKURUM Base cab w wire basket/drawer/door - white, Härlig white, 15 " - IKEA

OP, my grandma had a corner cabinet with a carousel in the early 1960s that worked fine, so it's safe to say the technology is perfected. Good luck with your project. Here are some more IKEA drawer fittings that allow you to store anything, even china, in drawers. IKEA is far ahead of many other companies in providing ergonomic fittings for kitchens.

RATIONELL VARIERA Plate holder - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30076201 - broken link)

RATIONELL VARIERA Pot lid organizer - IKEA

RATIONELL Pull-out waste sorting tray - IKEA

RATIONELL 5-piece fully-extending drawer set - IKEA

No, I'm not an employee of IKEA kitchens -- only a happy customer.
Ya get what ya pay for in this world. You can buy a junk box Dodge or a Ferrari. One is cheap garbage and one is a quality prestine dream machine. I appreciate your input but IKEA does not even rank as a buy-able product for anything worth while. I heard their little cafes are pretty good though.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM

Desertsun, I'd greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me. I'd love to read parts of your book so please pm me when you get a chance. Thanks

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6am View Post
base cabinet with pull out drawer/shelf for pots and pan . Check this out for design ideas.

That's a nice website. It even has a Kitchen visualizer so you see the design layout. Thanks for posting it.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Desertsun, I'd greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me. I'd love to read parts of your book so please pm me when you get a chance. Thanks
Sorry I did not forget my promise to you. I got overwhelmed the past few days. It's coming first chance I get....

Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Thanks Desertsun. I appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating