Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,253 times

Advertisements

I've moved into a new place and the paint choice of the previous occupants leaves a bit to be desired. I'm planning on leaving the living room (pale blue with some green undertones) and dining room (burnt orange) for now, because I'd like to be done painting sometime before Christmas. So I need to pick colors for the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and office/guest room. I find the whole thing a little overwhelming.

I don't have a ton of existing furniture since I moved form a much small place. My couch is mid-shade grey and the sleeper sofa for the office is a slate grey. My desk is a warm dark brown. The kitchen cabinets are a medium shade natural wood with stainless appliances.

So if you had a blank slate, what direction would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
probably the ones that would wind up cali the most

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
My local Ace Hardware store recently began selling Benjamin Moore paint. They have a fold-out brochure there called "Affinity." It has MANY paint colors inside, but the point is they are all "designed to work beautifully together." They say the goal of the Affinity Collection is to "make it easy to choose color combinations that will look great in your home."

You could find grays that are matches for your sofas and then go from there. This would allow you to choose a variety of colors that would complement each other when you look from room to room or just pick varying hues from the same color family. Also, don't neglect to consider the color of the wood that is in your home. Wood floors could have very orange tones, or gray ones, or yellow, even if they read predominantly brown. Take that into consideration. I once had a den filled with orange-toned wood that I hated. I painted the walls a gray with purplish undertones and it calmed that screaming orange right down.

I've done lot of painting in my life and this Affinity collection strikes me as a boon to choosing colors. Benjamin Moore isn't an inexpensive paint but it is one of the best in terms of quality, so you won't go wrong from that angle either.

Do you have a painting that you really like? Sometimes that's a good way to get a color collection going, too.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
This really is a hard question to answer because there are millions of possibilities. What I would do is find something in your house that you like, a piece of fabric, a shirt, a picture on your wall, etc. and use that as your color pallet. Take what ever that is to the paint store and have them help you find some paints to compliment.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
I really like the Ben Moore Affinity paints - They make the Pottery Barn colors/paints. Last house, we dropped by the local Pottery Barn and picked up a fan deck of their current colors (free) and choose from those. We ended up painting most of the house Jicama (it's a nice neural with a slight yellow tone).

I'm also really fond of the Serena and Lily paints/colors.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
I agree with the idea of shades of gray, since that is what you chose for your own furniture, and also it will go with the existing colors you're temporarily living with in the house now. But I would add to that pallet some browns. Grays and browns kind of blend rather well, they are neutrals, and they are modern colors.

Kitchen a pale gray to sort of go with the stainless, leave or change any trim, window casings, or molding off-white or white. Office you might really like a somewhat lighter brown than your desk, even tho your sleeper is slate, because it will tend to highlight the slate. If the room is smallish, you can get away with a fairly medium brown. Again, all trim white. Bedroom can be any color you especially love love love, just choose a lighter shade in general. Now, bathrooms are tricky. If you would like to go with gray, it can be medium or light, but put a white shower curtain in there, white rug and towels, and again white trim. But as for brown, I am not fond of beige or brown in a bathroom. Actually, off-white for the whole thing looks just fine.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,253 times
I'll have to look for the affinity collection. Thanks for the suggestion! I agree it's a hard question. I've never picked paint for a whole space before, and it's a bit overwhelming (but then again so is the forest green paint color in my bathroom).

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM
6am

276 posts, read 271,455 times
How about trying out a color visualizer for your space. There are many sites out there..here's one I've used and love it https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/ . Upload your own picture or use pick from their list . I'm sure you will find something you like from there .

I had my entire house repainted last year and using the visualizer did help me seal in my choice with no regrets.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I've moved into a new place and the paint choice of the previous occupants leaves a bit to be desired. I'm planning on leaving the living room (pale blue with some green undertones) and dining room (burnt orange) for now, because I'd like to be done painting sometime before Christmas. So I need to pick colors for the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and office/guest room. I find the whole thing a little overwhelming.

I don't have a ton of existing furniture since I moved form a much small place. My couch is mid-shade grey and the sleeper sofa for the office is a slate grey. My desk is a warm dark brown. The kitchen cabinets are a medium shade natural wood with stainless appliances.

It would depend on:
- size of the room
- height of the walls
- amount of natural light...southern exp.? windows on one wall or more? big windows or small?
- location/sources of artificial light
- colour of floors, woodwork, molding

Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 AM

18 posts, read 39,721 times
I want to paint my furniture. What color and design should I use to get my furniture painted? The furniture is of kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating