Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,509 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am completely new to this forum and this is my first post. I really need some advise for our new bedroom. We just moved to a new apartment and most of our furniture was bought second hand, because of the limited budget.

The bedroom wardrobe and the bed are still disassembled and have to be put together. They are both wooden, but different colors. I have no idea what to do so that these 2 look alright in the same room. The bed is brown, with aluminium elements and the wardrobe is beige color, also with aluminium elements.

I am not so good at decorating, so your input would be appreciated. Unfortunately I can not post any pictures, because the furniture is not assembled yet.

Thank you in advance!

Veronica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 04:42 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Veronica - welcome and congrats on your new apartment. You have come to the right place. You will get lots of ideas and help.

What color is the flooring and what type and color of window treatments do you have? What color is on the walls? Are you allowed to paint the walls a different color? Any other furniture going into the room? If yes, then what color/finish is the other furniture? Do you have bedding? What colors do you like? How is the lighting in the room?

If you answer these questions, it would be of great help to everyone here...we need to get an idea of what the entire room looks like (well in our heads anyway) since there are no pics.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
Welcome to the boards! There are lots of folks (including me) who do not like matchy matchy furniture and instead look for pieces that work together. You say the common in the pieces is aluminum. Brown and beige are nice neutral colors too. Do bed linens that pick up on those colors. Pick one brighter color in the scheme as well, like a blue or red or whatever and get some decorative pieces like throw pilllows, throw blankets, and use vases or candles or nice picture frames in that bright color to put on the furniture pieces. Or do a monochrome type look in different shades of brown and beige and play with texture like woven baskets, silk, etc.

Mismatched pieces can definitely work together if you tie all the room elements together. It actually makes a room morr interesting than matchy matchy pieces.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Welcome to the boards! There are lots of folks (including me) who do not like matchy matchy furniture and instead look for pieces that work together. You say the common in the pieces is aluminum. Brown and beige are nice neutral colors too. Do bed linens that pick up on those colors. Pick one brighter color in the scheme as well, like a blue or red or whatever and get some decorative pieces like throw pilllows, throw blankets, and use vases or candles or nice picture frames in that bright color to put on the furniture pieces. Or do a monochrome type look in different shades of brown and beige and play with texture like woven baskets, silk, etc.

Mismatched pieces can definitely work together if you tie all the room elements together. It actually makes a room morr interesting than matchy matchy pieces.

Oh yes, I am in total agreement with this statement. Nothing is worse than going into a house or apartment and it screams "Raymour & Flanagan", or whatever the popular furniture store is in your town.....

mis matched things tied together like the above poster said makes for a much more fun and interesting home. It is fun to say "I got this here a when we"....or "we went there and found this at"......I think part of the fun is the hunt as well.......................

Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 AM

29 posts, read 63,230 times
Thanks "ivanabacowboy". I also have the same problem. Thanks for giving the ideas..!!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
I'm a fan of brown furniture, looks so good to me. So, I would go about staining the wardrobe to a darker shade than its current beige, to match reasonably well with the shade of brown of the bed. There are how-to's on staining furniture online as well as in this forum, if you'll do a bit of a search, to see if it's something you want to do. I think basically it's putting newspaper down, open window, sandpaper the beige wood and wipe it clean, then apply stain with a larger paintbrush, long sweeping motions, let it dry. You can do this to smaller areas on one of the lower sides, to get the shade close to correct, and ALSO to see if YOU like the color. That way you don't have to sand and stain the whole piece and wind up with it awful, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating