Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,713,486 times

Advertisements

I was always told to use Benjamin Moore, but a sales clerk at Home Depot was telling me that their Behr was the best-rated with Consumer Reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Truth? The premium brand paints are ALL good.

The differences between them (that do exist)...
are not likely to be noticed without being pointed out.

Ready for more truth? The bargain brand paints are just fine too.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I was always told to use Benjamin Moore, but a sales clerk at Home Depot was telling me that their Behr was the best-rated with Consumer Reports.
True, I read the same report. We've always used Sears and have no complaints.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Funny, I read the report and was shocked since I find Behr difficult to paint with. That is what makes horse races I guess.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Funny, I read the report and was shocked since I find Behr difficult to paint with. That is what makes horse races I guess.
Same here. Like many newer homes in the Southwest, the walls in my place are textured. I used several different brands when I repainted over the builder's off-white and Behr was my least favorite. Mostly because the paint was so difficult to apply. I used up two gallons in a bathroom where I was painting taupe over white. I bought the thickest roller I could find and still the paint would not go into the minute crevices of the texturing. I did not have that problem with Benjamin Moore, Sears, Sherwin-Williams, or Dunn-Edwards. I love the color now that it's finished, but I'd never use that brand again in this house.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Same here. Like many newer homes in the Southwest, the walls in my place are textured. I used several different brands when I repainted over the builder's off-white and Behr was my least favorite. Mostly because the paint was so difficult to apply. I used up two gallons in a bathroom where I was painting taupe over white. I bought the thickest roller I could find and still the paint would not go into the minute crevices of the texturing. I did not have that problem with Benjamin Moore, Sears, Sherwin-Williams, or Dunn-Edwards. I love the color now that it's finished, but I'd never use that brand again in this house.
My experience exactly, we didn't care for the coverage and it was sort of sticky and not free flowing. More like using maple syrup almost. US too never again.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Wonder how this got the best rating? I have used both and Ben Moore wins hands down, especially in high-use areas like bathrooms and kitchens. I had a wooden front porch with a southern exposure. I used Behr paint and it didn't last one season. Cheap crap. I switched to Ben Moore which lasted much longer.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Behr is the best rate with Consumer reports. This is one of the reasons why I no longer look at Consumer reports. Behr does not even make the good paint level. Ask a professional painter.

Generally they recommended

Benjamin Moore
Dunn Edwards
The Sherwin Williams premium level paint.
Graham (or something like that).

There are a couple of others that I do not remember.

I bought a bunch of Behr paint for my house. I started painting but gave up and hired a painter. Painter's condition was that I throw away the Behr paint and buy some decent paint. I thought that was ridiculous, so I sought quotes from other painters. I got three quotes. All said that they would not paint with Behr.

I bought better paint and discovered one of the reasons that I had so much trouble getting good coverage and a nice looking result when I tried DIY. With Better paint, better rollers and brushes, and some lessons from a professional, I eventually was able to paint some rooms myself with results comparable, but not quite as good as the professionals.

Behr is runny thin paint. It does not cover well. It leaves swale and hollidays and other problem areas. It runs very easily. You need a lot more coats for the same result. According to the painters, it does not hold up well and often comes off when you wash the wall. Other than that, I am sure that it is absolutely the top pain available. Who am I to argue with CR (despite the fact that everything that we bought in reliance on them turned out to be a poor choice).

We did get some paint from H.D. with a designer brand name like Pierre Cardin or something that turned out the be pretty good paint. It was considerably more expensive than Behr though.

I still have about ten gallons of the Behr paint. I use it for things that I do not care about like the chicken coop. Mostly it sits until I get around to throwing it away. After 5 years I am not sure it is good anymore, even though it is unopened.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-15-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM

236 posts, read 595,677 times
Anyone ever used Olympic paint?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
About 1/2 our house is painted in Ben Moore aura and the other half is in Valspar Signature - both thick and smooth - like putting velvet onto your wall. However, my husband and I both feel that Valspar covers better. There is absolutely no reason to pay top dollar for Ben Moore when you can use Valspar unless you like spending more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating