Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

15 posts, read 185,089 times

Advertisements

Everything I have read on forums, including this one says that Home Depot rips you off on cabinets. I would really rather support a local business than buy through home depot, but I have three quotes and Home Depot is the least expensive. I am looking at Kraftmaid at two places and Cardell at another - but have ruled out Cardell because they don't have the color I want.

Has something changed in the way the industry works?

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Something is wrong. Home Junkpo will never ever be the least expensive on anything in their store. I suspect you are not comparing apples to apples or just being tricked or baited to switch.

One trick the big orange who only wants your little green does is not to tell you you need crown, scribe and toe skin until the end. Many times those Cabinet Sales people (THEY ARE NOT KITCHEN DESIGNERS) don't even know what it is. Further they will tell you Kraftmaid lead time is 6 to 8 weeks when they know very well the truth HD delivers in 14 to 16 weeks. So can anyone tell me why I can deliver Kraftmaid in 4.5 weeks? I know why but will hold back from making that public.

If you ever feel like hearing the truth then just google HOME DEPOT COMPLAINTS and your computer screen will light up the night sky.

You can start here
Woman gets Home Depot to change policy 11/27/07 | abc7news.com

Girl I have stories about them that I can't even legally tell on a public forum.

I would paste a small part from my published design book but it's too long. You are welcome to check my web site if the powers that be are not offended as I never sell anything on here. Hold the curser on ABOUT, then click on HOW TO BUY. You will get 3 decades of experience in 5 minutes.

Go hit your local small kitchen store and even some lumber yards discount from list price every day as their normal pricing. Would you pay the window sticker price on a brand new car? Only an uneducated consumer would be raped that badly. Ever see those ads by car dealers? "Pay one dollar over sticker price". Wow if anyone falls for that then I need to sell my Golden Gate Bridge in California. You should be paying at least 30% less then window sticker on a new car.

If you don't pay at least 50% off list price on cabinets which is MSRP then you paid too much. And good luck to you.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Something is wrong. Home Junkpo will never ever be the least expensive on anything in their store. I suspect you are not comparing apples to apples or just being tricked or baited to switch.

One trick the big orange who only wants your little green does is not to tell you you need crown, scribe and toe skin until the end. Many times those Cabinet Sales people (THEY ARE NOT KITCHEN DESIGNERS) don't even know what it is. Further they will tell you Kraftmaid lead time is 6 to 8 weeks when they know very well the truth HD delivers in 14 to 16 weeks. So can anyone tell me why I can deliver Kraftmaid in 4.5 weeks? I know why but will hold back from making that public.

If you ever feel like hearing the truth then just google HOME DEPOT COMPLAINTS and your computer screen will light up the night sky.

You can start here
Woman gets Home Depot to change policy 11/27/07 | abc7news.com

Girl I have stories about them that I can't even legally tell on a public forum.

I would paste a small part from my published design book but it's too long. You are welcome to check my web site if the powers that be are not offended as I never sell anything on here. Hold the curser on ABOUT, then click on HOW TO BUY. You will get 3 decades of experience in 5 minutes.

Go hit your local small kitchen store and even some lumber yards discount from list price every day as their normal pricing. Would you pay the window sticker price on a brand new car? Only an uneducated consumer would be raped that badly. Ever see those ads by car dealers? "Pay one dollar over sticker price". Wow if anyone falls for that then I need to sell my Golden Gate Bridge in California. You should be paying at least 30% less then window sticker on a new car.

If you don't pay at least 50% off list price on cabinets which is MSRP then you paid too much. And good luck to you.
I get you hate Home Depot, but if 2 places are more expensive what do you suggest the OP do?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I get you hate Home Depot, but if 2 places are more expensive what do you suggest the OP do?
Check the spec sheet with a microscope...
because they are surely missing something.

Then there's the lead time and delivery commitment language.
Look for back doors.

If you're hiring installers and especially trades people...
they won't put you on THEIR schedule until the boxes are in town.

And if there's a countertop in the mix....

Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
2 places are not more expensive. 1 is and that is Sears but they don't count. Sears charges 25% over list price. Please read up on the topic of retail, wholesale and profit margin. If a store sells for MSRP then no one is more expensive then them, that is top dollar. If you go to Target, Walmart or Kmart the consumer pays something over wholesale. They are discounters. Wholesale is what the store buys at. If you go to Dillards, Macys, Home Depot or Lowes you pay retail MSRP, top price.

MSRP is "manufacturers suggested retail price", You've heard that term before? Auto dealers use it most but every tangible produced product in the world has one. Every product has an MSRP which the retailer or wholesaler uses as a guide. That guide is suggested by the manufacturer.The retailer can discount from MSRP or list price or sell at MSRP or list price. Or sell for anything inbetween.

But one need not know all this. All one has to do is go to Home Junkpo and then go check other places and the truth comes out.

Oh yea I just read MrRational's post. He reminded me that the big orange charges $78 per box count to install while every other professional installer charges from $10 to 20 per box depending on where you live. And I can assure you their installers are just as much a clown as the sales persons they incorrectly and illegally call Kitchen Designers.

Last edited by desertsun41; 01-11-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Is there some way you can post the bid sheets and the professionals here can help you look through it. I agree that HD tends to be more expensive but that is not always the case though. We have priced out some things through HD and sometimes the are less expensive. I have to say that the installation costs are usually the difference so if you are just buying the cabinets and installing yourself, there is a good chance that HD is less.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 AM

We are just buying the cabinets and having someone else install. They have told me 4-5 weeks delivery - that is not true? The other thing is they didn't give me the price breakout - just the total (which I saw on the screen) and then she wrote in all the various discounts they are giving...which are numerous - adding up to $3000.
I have attempted to attach the quote.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen cabinets - Home Depot least expensive?!-tn.jpeg  

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Oh and can I even go in there an demand a full price breakout? Why'd didn't she print it for me in the first place.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeo99 View Post
We are just buying the cabinets and having someone else install. They have told me 4-5 weeks delivery - that is not true? The other thing is they didn't give me the price breakout - just the total (which I saw on the screen) and then she wrote in all the various discounts they are giving...which are numerous - adding up to $3000.
I have attempted to attach the quote.
You are getting a lower price on the cabinets from HD because they buy in volume and can offer lower prices. Your OVERALL costs might be more going the route you are going depending on the deal you are getting with the installation. If you compared apples to apples for supplies and installation costs, most likely a local shop would be less but it sounds like you know the installer and are possibly getting a break on that cost??

Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,530 times
Hood's beats the pants off of Home Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating