Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

What do you do when you currently live in a small house with not a lot of storage space, you will eventually move to a larger house, you have a lot of things that you want to keep but dont have space to put out all your decor, and you dont want to sell them or rent a storage locker. Do you just give up and box up some stuff put it in a closet and then only put out a few decor items? Or do you cram everything out there where you can see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I would not store decor items I love and find useful.

BUT I also would not "cram everything out there where you can see it".
I would get rid of what I like less.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
Box it up. Living in a space that is over-decorated feels heavy and cluttered. Minimize.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM

127 posts, read 318,168 times
Keep the essentials out and store the rest, unless you don't mind living in a cluttered environment. You can organize your storage so you can change decor out fairly easily.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia38 View Post
Keep the essentials out and store the rest, unless you don't mind living in a cluttered environment. You can organize your storage so you can change decor out fairly easily.
This. I was so much happier when I went from having about 25 things on my mantel to about 5.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
I moved from a 1400sf rental to a 650sf condo in 2003. The purging process took me about 4 years. The first 2 years, I kept everything in boxes crammed into closets and in my tiny storage bin in the basement. Slowly I got sick of spending 2 hours shuffling stuff around whenever I needed something from the back of my closet, so I started to get rid of items. When I got it down to the stuff that I REALLY wanted to hang onto, I tripped over it for another couple of years, then I eventually opted to rent a storage locker. I wish in retrospect that I had just rented the locker to begin with. In the end, I found the whole experience of minimizing clutter to be positive. You know what? I'm sitting here now trying to remember even just one thing I sold or gave away. I can remember a single thing. But at the time, it was like parting with my own flesh. Its amazing how much our stuff weighs us down.

Honestly, there is no answer that you will like. You can store it in your space, but you'll be tripping over your boxes. If you are like me, that is exactly what you will choose to do. After a while, you will probably change your mind about it. I live outside of Chicago and was able to rent a 5x9 climate controlled locker for $30/month. The cost was not that bad when I calculated the amount I was saving by owning a smaller space. Personally, if I had to do it again, I'd chose the storage locker over a number of other budget items, such as a cell phone data plan or cable TV.

If you are determined to keep everything in your space with you, the bedrizer will be your friend. http://www.bedrizer.com/

Its funny, in some countries, 20 people live in a 650sf space (or smaller), but it was way to small for me after 7 years. I moved out and into a 1100 sf town home that I'm happy with.

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 03-13-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
When I moved the first time I was told. Pretend that everything you pick up to pack costs $5 to take with you. You quickly learn what you do and don't value.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times
I also thought about switching out the decor. Keeping some boxed and then switching them out. I have things I really like, but I don't feel I have the space for putting them all out at once. It isn't a ton of stuff if you pack it, but out it feels like a lot.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
You don't really appreciate something to its potential if it's competing with a dozen other things for attention. Rotate once or twice a year. I have spring-summer/autumn/Christmas rotations for my accessories. When one set is out, the other two are in plastic tubs in the garage. When I change, I only have to take season's tubs into the house and I place the removed stuff in those tubs. I have a lot of original art and I switch that out rather than see it all, all the time. I also change my bedding to the new look. It's like getting new things if you haven't seen them for months.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Once something is packed away in a box, it rarely comes back out of that box.

I'm still coming across boxes that I stored away when I moved into this house 20 years ago.

I don't even like the stuff now. My taste has changed.

Keep what you like most and will acutally use. Sell the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating