Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

I added a pic, so I'm reposting.

Our kitchen cabinets were painted white before we moved in, and "wear and tear" tell me it's time to repaint.

I am not opposed to interesting colors. My problem is that I have white appliances: cooktop, wall oven, dishwasher, big ol' fridge. I can't replace all the appliances right now. Though I know it can be done, I'm not interested in painting them. Can you please suggest an up-to-date cabinet color that would go with the white appliances? Or should I stick with (off)white?

The walls are a nice, buttery yellow. Counters are a sand-colored laminate. No tile on backsplash. I need to paint it also until I can get tile installed. Floor is a buff-colored tile that I am replacing with hardwood in a month.

This kitchen is open to our small den, which will also have hardwood and has walls that are a lighter color from the same paint family as the kitchen yellow. Den furniture is in the Craftsman style/color palette.

My husband's decor taste is conservative, and these rooms are SMALL. I might have a hard time convincing him to do something very dramatic. Of course, we could just paint them white again. But I have noticed that so many of you on this forum have great taste, and I would love suggestions for something a bit more creative.

The photo shows how bright it is in the late afternoon. I was standing in the den, so you can see how tight this space is, with 8-foot ceilings and the world's tiniest ceiling fan.

I have not done anything to the kitchen except throw up the requisite pottery above the cabinets. Check out those polished brass knobs!

I know you might have a million suggestions for this space, but I really am limited to cabinets and backsplash now. Remember, floors will be hardwood next month.

Y'all don't be jealous!

Thanks!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-08-2013 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Photo deleted at user's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
I'm standing clear of the painted cabinet topic. I will only repeat that everyone will point and laugh at any amateur attempt to paint functionally obsolete cabinets. It's kinda like putting nice clean cloths on a filthy unwashed 96 year old man. There is no "up to date" color in a paint can. Up to date colors are dark shades of brown stain on maple in shaker style. Like it or not. Personally I do not but that's what 7 of every 10 kitchen sales are in all of North America at this moment.

What I notice first is that federal disaster area above the stove. That is an incredible fire hazard. If it were a gas stove I'd say your life is in great danger. Wood about 22" above a cooktop is a NO NO. And that thing above the wooden micro box is just fugly. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just giving it to you straight.

You need to lose that box above the cooktop. You can put an over-the-range micro or a hood.

Your cabinets are 30" high. That micro box is about 18 high. Lose that junk on top and reinstall the micro box flush to the top of the cabinets. Then mount the over-the-range micro below it. You can buy inexpensively some new crown molding to redo the whole top so there are no seams.

I also wish you to know cabinets are not as expensive as you been told if you don't be greedy. Most people take a look at the offerings at the big orange who only wants your little green then they get dollar signs in their eyes when comparing their dollars to a stupid can of paint. No, cabinets do not cost that much when you buy properly. The big box stores charge full list price or MSRP. Most all private kitchen stores sell about half that and advertise those magic words. 50% off list price.

What I meant by don't be greedy is if you stick with a basic kitchen then it can be very affordable. But people come in and see all the nice bells and whistles and WANT THEM. Price starts to climb. Maybe new is still not in your cards today but hopefully I offered something to think about.

FIX THAT FIRE HAZARD QUICKLY!!!!!
I kid you not, that is very very dangerous!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Um, okay.

I appreciate the warning. I have cooked at least three meals a day in this kitchen for 8 years. Anything wood in it was put in by the previous owners, and it passed two licensed inspections.

I'll take your word for it and install a vent hood, though, since I hate that micro box setup anyway. I think they took the doors off what was originally a double cabinet in the highest part, then added the microshelf underneath when they bought a microwave.

I guess people will have to point and laugh at my amateur paint job. If new cabinets cost more than $0, I can't afford them.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Um, okay.

I appreciate the warning. I have cooked at least three meals a day in this kitchen for 8 years. Anything wood in it was put in by the previous owners, and it passed two licensed inspections.

I'll take your word for it and install a vent hood, though, since I hate that micro box setup anyway. I think they took the doors off what was originally a double cabinet in the highest part, then added the microshelf underneath when they bought a microwave.

I guess people will have to point and laugh at my amateur paint job. If new cabinets cost more than $0, I can't afford them.
Am I understanding then, that it's dark in the kitchen in the morning, as far as natural light goes? I think I'd stick with light colored cabinets, either warm white (Swan White), or a soft, buttery cream color....with much darker knobs....such as oil rubbed bronze. If you went with a more rich, creamy cabinet (might not go with the bright yellow though), it would make your appliances stand out more than the white cabinets do. If you take your time, there is NOTHING laughable about painted cabinets. If you rush a job, it's going to look like you did. If you prep well, use the right tools for the job and make sure you've got a lint/dust free place to paint them, you can get a beautiful finish on them!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I'm standing clear of the painted cabinet topic. I will only repeat that everyone will point and laugh at any amateur attempt to paint functionally obsolete cabinets. It's kinda like putting nice clean cloths on a filthy unwashed 96 year old man. There is no "up to date" color in a paint can. Up to date colors are dark shades of brown stain on maple in shaker style. Like it or not. Personally I do not but that's what 7 of every 10 kitchen sales are in all of North America at this moment.

What I notice first is that federal disaster area above the stove. That is an incredible fire hazard. If it were a gas stove I'd say your life is in great danger. Wood about 22" above a cooktop is a NO NO. And that thing above the wooden micro box is just fugly. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just giving it to you straight.

You need to lose that box above the cooktop. You can put an over-the-range micro or a hood.

Your cabinets are 30" high. That micro box is about 18 high. Lose that junk on top and reinstall the micro box flush to the top of the cabinets. Then mount the over-the-range micro below it. You can buy inexpensively some new crown molding to redo the whole top so there are no seams.

I also wish you to know cabinets are not as expensive as you been told if you don't be greedy. Most people take a look at the offerings at the big orange who only wants your little green then they get dollar signs in their eyes when comparing their dollars to a stupid can of paint. No, cabinets do not cost that much when you buy properly. The big box stores charge full list price or MSRP. Most all private kitchen stores sell about half that and advertise those magic words. 50% off list price.

What I meant by don't be greedy is if you stick with a basic kitchen then it can be very affordable. But people come in and see all the nice bells and whistles and WANT THEM. Price starts to climb. Maybe new is still not in your cards today but hopefully I offered something to think about.

FIX THAT FIRE HAZARD QUICKLY!!!!!
I kid you not, that is very very dangerous!!!
Good suggestion on the MW location and hood a vent for safety reasons. Backsplash could be glass tiles you could install yourself but I wouldn't put a wood floor in a kitchen due to possible water damage..the ceramic tile is good enough, somewhat easy to clean and would cost $$$ to remove. I think white cabinets are hard to maintain espeicially if you love to burn; they get too dirty for my liking but it doesn't look bad in this kitchen. Choose your glass tile that has three colors in it first then choose your color for you cabinets. I always do things backward than most people and it always turn out great. Accent the top of the frig with a spring basket of flowers to match the pottery and pictures. It the simple thing done in the home that makes it attractive; not the major.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,963 times
Wmsn, can I ask a favor? We have almost the exact same kitchen layout (with a cattycorner pantry where you have the door) and we do not have the peninsula. We have oak cabinets and are considering changing out to antique white and adding a peninsula like yours. What is the depth of those cabinets? Would you be willing to take a photo facing the inside of peninsula and letting me see what the cabinets look like from the other side? I want to see if there's a lot of storage available under there. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Wmsn, can I ask a favor? We have almost the exact same kitchen layout (with a cattycorner pantry where you have the door) and we do not have the peninsula. We have oak cabinets and are considering changing out to antique white and adding a peninsula like yours. What is the depth of those cabinets? Would you be willing to take a photo facing the inside of peninsula and letting me see what the cabinets look like from the other side? I want to see if there's a lot of storage available under there. Thanks!
I am not available to take a photo today, but the peninsula holds the dishwasher and three drawers on the end. Two of the drawers are very tall, about 8-10 inches.

If you look in the photo behind the table and under the lovely little white undermounted TV , you will notice another cabinet door. It actually is a very deep cabinet that is hard to access and would have been better with a lazy Susan.

SO the peninsula is deep enough to hold a standard Maytag dishwasher. It is where I do EVERYTHING from make school lunches to wrap gifts. Hope this helps!

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
So, is the room enclosed?
Whats behind where you were standing where the pic was taken?
I'm trying to get a grip on what the layout of the room is before I offer advice.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm standing right where there used to be a wall separating that kitchen/dinette area from the den. In the bottom right corner you can see the back of a chair that faces into the den.

On the opposite wall from the oven wall, across the den, is a large entertainment center with the TV.

(That is the piece, though the photo is not mine.)

The den wall that is on the same side as that picture window is floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace. Next to that is a set of French doors to the screened porch.

So no, the kitchen is no longer enclosed. It is completely open to a small den that has beige furniture and sand-colored walls. (Behr Solomon Sand).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-08-2013 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Photo deleted at user's request.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Also, I need to mention that having the refrigerator directly across from the end of the peninsula is a horrible bottleneck. If you have a chance to NOT do this in your kitchen, take it.

For some reason, the builder of these homes did this in almost the entire neighborhood.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating