Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,961 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried the luxury vinyl flooring products that are out there and what you think of them. From what I know, they can be installed with or without grout. But my contractor is telling me they are at least double the cost of ceramic tile. I really don't like tile, but may end up having to go with it for the cost savings. Let me know if you've used the luxury vinyl and your thoughts on their performance/cost per SF. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Brand? link?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM

36 posts, read 212,480 times
A friend of mine considered using it in her remodel. Apparently(this is 2nd hand info of course) it doesn't require the cement board backing that standard tile does as it's able to flex a little. Beyond that, benefits include things being less likely to break when dropped vs ceramic, a "warmer" feeling in the house, and quieter in terms of things like dog toenails and noises echoing.

I think what it comes down to is whether the above items are big enough irritants to spend a little extra money for something that you would theoretically like much more. How long are you planning on living in the house? There are certain things that we are willing to splurge on in our first house because they affect our enjoyment of the space much more, and others that we'd rather save money on because it's a starter home and won't affect how we experience the space much. An example is splurging on granite countertops and a $2500 range, but painted the bathroom vanity instead of replacing it.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Some good friends of ours put this in the bathroom, kitchen and mud room and LOVE it. My parents put this in their bathrooms and laundry room. They had just recently done the flooring in their kitchen otherwise they wish they had put it in their kitchen too. They love it. It looks like stone tile but is soft like vinyl. I plan to use it in our house when we remodel.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 11,299 times
Honestly, I looked and this product and don't understand why you wouldn't just use tile. If you grout it, you still can have the grout cracking in between because grout isn't flexible, and once textured vinyl gets grimey biy its a bear to clean. I'd just go with tile: its cheap, timeless, and you have endless style possibilities.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM

238 posts, read 617,404 times
I'd like to hear more about this product as I am looking to replace a rental's kitchen floor. Was just going to replace with vinyl. How long does it typically last? Resistant to rips and tears? Any names or links available. Thanks

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM

36 posts, read 212,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amar123 View Post
Honestly, I looked and this product and don't understand why you wouldn't just use tile. If you grout it, you still can have the grout cracking in between because grout isn't flexible, and once textured vinyl gets grimey biy its a bear to clean. I'd just go with tile: its cheap, timeless, and you have endless style possibilities.

From what I've heard, they sell a flexible grout material for these tiles that doesn't crack the way a standard tile grout would.

There are positives and negatives to both materials (ceramic/stone tile vs vinyl) but for many, the hardness and coldness of standard tiles really turn them off. For me, I am clumsy and drop things all the time. It would be inconvenient to replace things like knives because I accidentally dropped them and chipped the blade every few months, and our house tends to be cool, add that to the moist and rainy weather that we get in the Seattle area and stone/porcelain can be a huge heatsink making your toes constantly feel cold. That said, we're still planning to put porcelain tile in our bathrooms because we like the look/feel in those rooms.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
"Luxury" vinyl is still vinyl. Go for the real tile.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar123 View Post
Well, depending on where you live, tile is cold, really cold in our area. It's also very hard so if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, very hard on your feet/legs/back. These tiles are much softer so easier to stand on and if you drop a glass it doesn't shatter like it does on tile. It's also easier to replace these vinyl tiles if one is damaged. They also don't chip or crack like tile can and does. It's a great option for someone that likes the looks of tile but doesn't like the properties of tile--like me.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarets1 View Post
I'd like to hear more about this product as I am looking to replace a rental's kitchen floor. Was just going to replace with vinyl. How long does it typically last? Resistant to rips and tears? Any names or links available. Thanks
These would be a great option for a rental, give it a more 'updated' look. Armstrong makes some, I don't know if anyone else does or not. Vinyl Tile | Vinyl Floor Tiles | Vinyl Tile Flooring from Armstrong . The nice thing about these vs a laminate tile is that there is texture/depth to the tile vs just having a picture on top of the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating