Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Has anyone seen a conversation pit in the last 20 years or have they gone the way of the dodo bird? I know people aren't big on old-fashioned conversations any more - if you gather in a living room it's typically focused on watching tv - and they sort of limited your furniture arranging options; but I always fancied having one of these. We had them in my elementary school & junior high but I never encountered on in an actual home outside of vintage decorating books.
I'm 66 yrs old and I've never seen ,or been in, a home that had a "conversation pit". What are they??

IMO any room in the house ,except the bathroom, can be a room where conversation can take place so why a special "pit"??

Sounds really wasteful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I have a family member who has one in their family room. The house is 30+ years old. I kind of like it. It is a good place to sit when lots of people are over.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Interestingly, most intellectuals don't watch much TV. If they own one, it's in an obscure location, not the center of the household.
Half of mine aren't even plugged in, but the ones that are are sort of the equivalent to giant I-phones, in some sense. If working or just checking in, I can do video conference calls with people on the other side of the planet, walk around the houses while cooking and talk (and see) them, etc. Having a 'TV' doesn't necessarily mean watching reruns of "Married with Children" or "I Dream of Jeannie". These are bi-directional communication tools. Getting live video feeds from relatives back in the states is important to some..... And not junky like Skype.
Virtually all of mine are behind doors that can be closed, so you can't even see them if you want a more 'homey' environment. At least in the server room I use KVM's, so that limits the number of monitors. Each house is tied together with a VPN.

Any more assumptions?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Half of mine aren't even plugged in, but the ones that are are sort of the equivalent to giant I-phones, in some sense. If working or just checking in, I can do video conference calls with people on the other side of the planet, walk around the houses while cooking and talk (and see) them, etc. Having a 'TV' doesn't necessarily mean watching reruns of "Married with Children" or "I Dream of Jeannie". These are bi-directional communication tools. Getting live video feeds from relatives back in the states is important to some..... And not junky like Skype.
Virtually all of mine are behind doors that can be closed, so you can't even see them if you want a more 'homey' environment. At least in the server room I use KVM's, so that limits the number of monitors. Each house is tied together with a VPN.

Any more assumptions?
Maybe you aren't so smart...lol

Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Having a 'TV' doesn't necessarily mean watching reruns of "Married with Children" or "I Dream of Jeannie".
Thank you.

Although why we're discussing TVs when the topic is conversation pits is completely beyond me.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I looked at a house recently during my home search that was built about 20 years ago. It had a dropped floor in the living and family room areas. Because of the step down, in each place, really dated millwork was placed to mark the place. Imagine having to tell everyone who visits your home to watch his or her step as then entered either room

I think conversation pits were trendy in the sixties, but now are simply out of style. You can arrange your furniture to aid conversation. A book that has helped me along these lines is Use What You Have Decoration by Lauri Ward. There are several of these, the production values are not wonderful, but the books have really good nuts and bolts advice. One of the things emphasized in the books, is to bring your furniture closer so conversation can take place.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Maybe you aren't so smart...lol
An explanation is due on that one..... maybe I am stupid.

Conversation pits are not dead (that IS the topic if this thread). In one house I have an entire floor dedicated to the equivalent of a 'conversation pit', with 5 sofas and a sound studio wrapping the area, and we have social gatherings all the time there.... Perhaps this is not for some people, and to each his/her own. (No barn clothes allowed in the house, though I have none). A 2nd kitchen downstairs provides snacks/appetizers to the guests, and it is a very enjoyable time. Try it, you may like it.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thank you.

Although why we're discussing TVs when the topic is conversation pits is completely beyond me.
Often there is a TV in the 'conversation pit', though I never turned mine on when guests were present, unless we were looking at something everyone wanted to see.
Learn to follow a thread.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Learn to follow a thread.
If I couldn't follow a thread, then how did I know that TV was being discussed?

Oh, by the way, I was complimenting you on the post I quoted. I won't make that mistake again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating