Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can help me here. I want to reupholster my dining room chairs. They are Ethan Allen cherry and have cane backs on them. There is a padded cushion attached to the caning using buttons that are 2 parts and they screw together. In other words, the covered button side with the long screw post goes through the cushion, then through the caning and a second covered button screws on to the back holding the pad in place on the chair back. Hoping that is clear. Each button side is approximately 3/4" in diameter and the screw shank is probably about 1/4" - 3/8" or so long.

Anyway, I need to find these buttons. I have never been able to take apart covered buttons without destroying them and don't want to try with these and ruin them and not be able to find new ones. Does anyone have an idea where I might find them? I have scoured the internet for upholstery supply places and can't find these buttons anywhere. Or does anyone have a secret on taking them apart? Although they might not be too usable since they are about 30 years old.

I love my chairs and table but the upholstery is in desperate need of replacing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Have you contacted Ethan Allen? I would call their home office and say you are having a piece made to compliment this dining room set and you were wondering if you could either buy them from them or could they tell you where to purchase them.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:23 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you contacted Ethan Allen? I would call their home office and say you are having a piece made to compliment this dining room set and you were wondering if you could either buy them from them or could they tell you where to purchase them.
I talked to some people at the store and they looked at me as though I had 3 horns growing out of my head. When we bought the set I asked about getting it reupholstered when needed and they said they could do it, but again that was about 30 years ago and I probably couldn't afford to have them do it for me now. But maybe I will take a picture of them and email it to customer service and see what they have to say. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times
They are called screw button snaps, button snaps or screw buttons. Take one of them to an upholsterer locally and they can tell you what is available today and can probably make the replacements for you for a fee. Its unlikely the EA will have reorder items from 30 years ago, though you can try. No one keeps back stock of supplies for that long.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scre...w=1280&bih=845
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating