Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 PM

12 posts, read 19,296 times

Advertisements

I could use some help, I'm not great at interior decorating. I am trying to complete at least one room in my home. I haven't painted yet as I am unsure what color so that will come later. I am working on my living room decorations. I have a WA scenery theme in the living room. My colors are Autumn. I currently have a wall with a picture of Mt Rainier but it seems lonely on that wall. I love lanterns and do collect them. I was thinking of putting a candle lantern sconce on each side of the picture. Here is the wall in question. Also here is a sample of a candle lantern that I was thinking of:
Metal Hanging Lantern Sconce | Kirkland's
Do you think this will look nice? Any other ideas?
Thank you for the help
Becky
Attached Thumbnails
living room wall decor-dsc_4101.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
I could use some help, I'm not great at interior decorating. I am trying to complete at least one room in my home. I haven't painted yet as I am unsure what color so that will come later. I am working on my living room decorations. I have a WA scenery theme in the living room. My colors are Autumn. I currently have a wall with a picture of Mt Rainier but it seems lonely on that wall. I love lanterns and do collect them. I was thinking of putting a candle lantern sconce on each side of the picture. Here is the wall in question. Also here is a sample of a candle lantern that I was thinking of:
Metal Hanging Lantern Sconce | Kirkland's
Do you think this will look nice? Any other ideas?
Thank you for the help
Becky
You need to fill up at least 4 times the space that print take up which is why it looks lonely on that wall. I really like that lantern but it is also going to get lost on that wall. Add 2 lanterns to the wall behind the chairs and that will look ok. If you imagine 2 rows of 3 of the prints you have now on that far wall, that is about how big of a print or collection of prints you will need to make that wall look right. Putting a table or something under the art will also balance things out.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:39 PM

Thank you for the advice. WOW thats a lot of prints for that wall LOL My family suggested a collage on each side of WA scenery. Think that would be enough? Currently I have 5 photographs in my living room (its a large room) that are 18X24 or higher of WA scenery. I didn't want overkill..KWIM? Think that would happen if I put more? There is a component cabinet below the picture on the wall. I use the top for accessories to the picture (like pine cones from Mt. Rainier and photo books of Mt Rainier).
Thank you again

Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. WOW thats a lot of prints for that wall LOL My family suggested a collage on each side of WA scenery. Think that would be enough? Currently I have 5 photographs in my living room (its a large room) that are 18X24 or higher of WA scenery. I didn't want overkill..KWIM? Think that would happen if I put more? There is a component cabinet below the picture on the wall. I use the top for accessories to the picture (like pine cones from Mt. Rainier and photo books of Mt Rainier).
Thank you again
I wouldn't really do that many prints, just helping you visualize the size you want. I would put a large decorative mirror or something with a couple sconces or shelves with "things" on them on either size.

The component cabinet is too short for that high ceiling which is why I suggested a table. Basically the scale is off for the cabinet and the picture.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Thank you so much for the help. It gives me lots to think about. Doing on a budget sucks LOL Just 2 photographs with frames cost me $400, mainly because the picture size was not standard. I will have to keep my eye out for deals.
Thank you

Old 10-27-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the help. It gives me lots to think about. Doing on a budget sucks LOL Just 2 photographs with frames cost me $400, mainly because the picture size was not standard. I will have to keep my eye out for deals.
Thank you
Check out Goodwill, yard sales, etc. but also places like Ikea, Target, Walmart, etc. all have home decor stuff. Kohl's is another good place to look. You can find what you need for a lot less than $400. Also, lesson learned, get standard sized prints .

Walgreens has a new photo frame deal where they print your photo on canvas and frame it in a floating frame. It's semi-modern looking but will work in your room, just for future reference. It's about $40 for an 11x14 or something like that.

Just to visualize what I am talking about for size--hang up a blanket or throw that is roughly the same size as 6 of those prints to see how much better something that size looks on that wall. Just tack it up with a few push pins and step back to the other side of the room.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,510 times
Either larger, taller furniture or a 3'x5' picture. Higher ceilings need taller furniture. I would not group pictures unless it was a picture wall which is usually a hall way or the wall next to steps. I wouldn't put things on shelves. Buy floor things such as 4' to 5' vases.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Awesome advice both of you! I'm glad I posted this. I will definitely give the suggestions a go!
Becky

Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
You might look into buying a quadtych -- a set of four large photos that combine to make one print.

I have one in my living room and another in my dining room. Each quadtych is 80" long and 24" high. I used dark wood frames to match my furniture but the best frames to showcase quads are the very thin metal ones.

Here's where I bought them:

quadtych signed -phish | eBay

This seller also has triptychs (three photos). His work is awesome.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:35 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
you want to bring your eye "down". lots of great advise. becky you want your wall/room to look "balanced". look at the overall of the room. what is on the wall needs to "fit" the wall. scope and scale, look at some magazines you will see how the size of things fit. how about a large natural sculpture, or wrought iron art for the wall? or tall twigs, in a big floor vase could help take up some of the height you need, maybe in a corner. all pretty inexpensive. until you paint I would throw some color around the room, toss pillows and that too will help. autumn and nature, the room will be great. have fun shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating