Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times

Advertisements

Have just recently updated my house and need some ideas for the living room. I want to try to sell, but if I can't, I want it to be comfortable and functional.

Feel free to comment on the whole setup, but my main problem seems to be whether to leave the bookcase against the wall near the couch, or the console table.

Please ignore the Tv and the white cable wire on the floor, still have some touch up painting to do, then it will be taken care of.

I originally wanted to leave the console table on the wall next to the kitchen and place a mirror above it, but this console table seems to small for that.

I might just move either the console table or bookcase to the den, and get a bigger console table for the living room
Any decorating ideas would also be appreciated!

jan1 020 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/5312772905 - broken link)

jan1 023 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/5312772897/in/photostream/ - broken link)

jan1 024 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/5313338176 - broken link)

jan1 022 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/5313338158/in/photostream/ - broken link)

jan1 025 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/5313338200/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Last edited by purplesky; 01-01-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: forgot info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,761 times
I'm not loving the shelving unit or the console table on the wall to the right (left?) of the couch/chairs. Did you try the console table underneath the painting on the brick wall? I think you are right about getting a bigger unit for the other wall near the kitchen. It just looks too small in that space, and I would also consider moving whatever you get closer to the outlet on that wall instead of right near the kitchen counter.

PS I really like your chairs!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
IMO, lose the tiny area rug for something larger with some contrast and warmth/texture to add to the room. It is lost under the storage style ottoman/table. I don't like the sofa in front of the windows at all, consider switching positions with the double chairs and placing the console table behind it as a sofa table. You also might consider adding an additional window tx. like a texured roller shade in addition to the existing curtains. Think something with dark bamboo or rattan/cotton to compliment the colors in those lovely chairs.

The tables are the wrong height and proportion for the furniture, especially that little round one. If you are going to keep the pottery barn like graduated ladder bookcase consider moving it where it will be most functional instead of looking stck there for lack of anywhere else to put it. Even if that means in another room.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-01-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Is your TV going against the wall (the wall to the right of the couch while facing it)?

If not, I would put the couch against that wall, centered, ottoman in front of couch, with a chair on each side (backs facing the opposite wall), little side table in between the chairs.

Do you have a dining set?

If not, I would consider one of those tall rectangular tables and place it directly against the wall with 3 tall bar stools.

Or get 2 or 3 of those flat-scooped small seat bar stools to go under your bar counter.

I would put the tall ladder shelf against the white brick wall.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Take the round table by the sofa and put it in between the 2 chairs, and tighten that arrangement up, perhaps some tall candlesticks on the table?
Get a larger rug that incorporates the colors in the sofa pillows, the brown on brown isnt working.
Not loving the drapes with the wall color, drapes are too gray/cold against the lovely warm wall color.
The piece against the wall on the right hand side is too low/small, something a bit longer needs to be there, perhaps a round mirror over it to cut all the right angles in the room, and add some height.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Ok everyone, thanks for ideas. No tv is going in this room. I have a pub set in my den, will post pics tomorrow. I was going to put a mirror over the console table, but that table is too small. Will look for another table tomorrow and will probably move the console table to the den.

I don't want to put a dining table in this room. i have an eat-in kitchen. I really wanted to make this room sort of a reading/listening to music/conversation sort of room.

I was looking for a carpet, but couldn't find one to go--this one is a 5x7 one.

I've had nothing but trouble with window treatments for this room. I originally had dark brown ones, but they were too dark and heavy.

I can't put anything against the white brick wall because it's part of the hallway and will obstruct flow.

But thanks everyone for the great ideas, will try to implement some tomorrrow, and retake some pics!

Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Ok everyone, thanks for ideas. No tv is going in this room. I have a pub set in my den, will post pics tomorrow. I was going to put a mirror over the console table, but that table is too small. Will look for another table tomorrow and will probably move the console table to the den.

I don't want to put a dining table in this room. i have an eat-in kitchen. I really wanted to make this room sort of a reading/listening to music/conversation sort of room.

I was looking for a carpet, but couldn't find one to go--this one is a 5x7 one.

I've had nothing but trouble with window treatments for this room. I originally had dark brown ones, but they were too dark and heavy.

I can't put anything against the white brick wall because it's part of the hallway and will obstruct flow.

But thanks everyone for the great ideas, will try to implement some tomorrrow, and retake some pics!
The room is just too small to put a table and chairs into it.
As far as drapes, some ivory faux silk (or the real thing) would look great, and you havent committed to a color.
And about the rug, better to have nothing at all, than the wrong thing!
I would do a large scale rug that all the furniture sits on, rather than a rug that small.
It will actually make the room look larger.
Cant wait to see pix!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Okay, tried out some things you guys suggested. Actually, the console table does seem to work against the white brick wall!!

Probably need some end tables at each side of the couch as well as either a floor lamp or table lamps. Was thinking of putting a large rectangular mirror over the couch, but suggestions are welcome. I also will probably put something decorative on console table.

Here are some pics.

Flickr: troli42's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/?saved=1 - broken link)

Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
If you are going to leave the sofa at the window I would recommend putting a console table with a vignette on that large wall (with a large mirror or art to add scale and interest)

entrances/foyers - sideboard dining display accessories display table console table vignette table&searchType=photos

entrances/foyers - wood modern console table silver column lamp mirror orchid white slip-covered ottomans entry foyer Simple beauty! Thanks table&searchType=photos

living rooms - turquoise blue beachy mirrored buffet sideboard console table white sofa black iron mosaic top coffee table turquoise blue lamps art round pearl mirror striped blue white rug roman shades blue window panel blue walls table&searchType=photos

Old 01-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Okay, tried out some things you guys suggested. Actually, the console table does seem to work against the white brick wall!!

Probably need some end tables at each side of the couch as well as either a floor lamp or table lamps. Was thinking of putting a large rectangular mirror over the couch, but suggestions are welcome. I also will probably put something decorative on console table.

If you end up leaving the sofa on the wall, please dont do a rectangular mirror...look at all the rectangles that are already in the room, oval or round would work much better.

Here are some pics.

Flickr: troli42's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/?saved=1 - broken link)
Bolded part is my comment.
Here are a few ideas, dont know what area of the country you are in, but Hobby Lobby and Garden Ridge carry similar items.
Sunburst™ Antiqued Gold Wall Mirror - Wall Mirrors - Wall Decor - Home Decor | HomeDecorators.com

Gilbert Wall Mirror - Wall Mirrors - Wall Decor - Home Decor | HomeDecorators.com

This can be hung sideways:
Katla Mirror - Mirrors - Home Accents - Home Decor | HomeDecorators.com

Burst Wall Mirror - Wall Mirrors - Wall Decor - Home Decor | HomeDecorators.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating