Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,441 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment with our eclectic collection of free furniture and were a bit overwhelmed by the lack of space. We have a door to a patio on the far right wall of the living room, cornered against a fireplace. We plan on wall mounting the television, but as you can see we have a rather large set of a leather couch and loveseat that my boyfriend is quite fond of. We've bashed our heads together over how to arrange them but the only two things we've managed to think of are two L-shaped positions. The last picture is actually with the couch and loveseat switched, though it's hard to tell. Just opens up the area between the door and couch. We're not attached to either of the endtables (In fact, one of them is a shelf) and planned on just using the rectangular table the tv is on as our coffee table. And the recliner is just chilling in our living room until we get the office clutter free.
So, any layout ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
The last arrangement is definitely the best. It opens up the area much better than having the full sofa sticking out.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The last arrangement is definitely the best. It opens up the area much better than having the full sofa sticking out.
I second that emotion. The second arrangements opens up the area. I like the idea of chucking the end tables and just use a coffee table since it looks like a fairly small space. If the OP plans on mounting the tv on the same wall, I would get some type of low storage furniture and put it under the tv.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Do you ever open the blinds or use that door? If not, why not put some darker drapes over that window, put the tv in front of that and arrange accordingly? You could then slide everything back toward the kitchen some and not have it all crammed into that little space (once you get the recliner out of there that is). Can you post a picture from the kitchen and one from the hallway showing the whole space?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:05 PM

The corner end table can stay. It's not taking up additional space. The area between the sofa and love seat would be there either way.

IMO it would look tacky to place furniture in front of the sliding glass door, even with drapes.

Plus, it wouldn't solve the space issue to place the TV there since very few people want to view a TV from the side.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The corner end table can stay. It's not taking up additional space. The area between the sofa and love seat would be there either way.

IMO it would look tacky to place furniture in front of the sliding glass door, even with drapes.

Plus, it wouldn't solve the space issue to place the TV there since very few people want to view a TV from the side.
It's a tiny apartment, you have to work with what you have. It won't look any more "tacky" then shoving all the furniture into a tiny space. The way the room is set up now people are watching tv from the side too??

Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's a tiny apartment, you have to work with what you have. It won't look any more "tacky" then shoving all the furniture into a tiny space.
It's really not that bad when the love seat is the one extending outward. And putting furniture in front of a sliding glass door is definitely more tacky than almost anything a person could do. Regardless, comfort while watching TV takes precident if chosing from two evils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The way the room is set up now people are watching tv from the side too??
Not every single seat is viewing from the side the way it is now. Your proposal would have all seating viewing from the side. If you would still leave a sofa or loveseat in the middle of the room, then putting the TV in front of the window doesn't solve anything, and actually makes viewing worse from more seats.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Apartments are tough, the OP seems to have a decent sized apartment compared to say Manhattan, but their furniture would surely be easier to place in a larger room.

Any chance the loveseat would fit on the wall where the TV currently is located?? Could you lose the recliner? Tuck the kitty condo into a spare room? Lots of mismatched stuff that probablynis comfy but not really attractive, but hey, it is just a rental so I would not stress out too much. Next place you rent might be easier to arrange stuff...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,441 times
We do use the patio (leads to outside storage), so I'm not a fan of putting anything in front of the doors. I want to put up some drapes over those shades but haven't had the time to go shopping for curtain rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Any chance the loveseat would fit on the wall where the TV currently is located?? Could you lose the recliner? Tuck the kitty condo into a spare room? Lots of mismatched stuff that probablynis comfy but not really attractive, but hey, it is just a rental so I would not stress out too much. Next place you rent might be easier to arrange stuff...
Nah, there's barely two feet of space on either side of the fireplace. The recliner certainly isn't staying there; we're trying to clean out our office to make room for it. I'll definitely look for more places to tuck the kitty condo.

What do you guys think of two skinny bookshelves, one on either side of the fireplace? I worried it would make the place look too cluttered but we definitely need the storage space.

I'll try to find the time to upload more photos from the kitchen and dining area tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Bookshelves might be a good idea -- with the video games and computers even if you wall mount the TV there is still a mess of metal & plastic boxy things that you probably want to camouflage and book cases would help...

The "right angle" layout of the sofa and love sets is about all you can do if you want / need access to the patio. I'm guessing that if the complex has a "model a apartment" they just have much smaller scale furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating