Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,307 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have just moved into my new house and i feel that my bedroom feels too plain. What do you guys think I should put into my bedroom to make it look better? Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

Btw, im thinking of putting some pictures on the wall (on top of my bed) but i fear that doing so would make my room look bad due to lack of artistic talent whatsoever. Therefore, I would also be extremely grateful if someone could tell me the exact position to put my pictures on the wall. (As well as what kind of pictures to put). I am also thinking of purchasing a cool looking plant to put it next to my walk-in closet, so any opinion would be great.

Feel free to suggest me any radical ideas so don't hesitate to suggest me to remove my bed and put in a hammock in the middle as long as it looks good. But i would appreciate it if you guys provide me with ideas i can actually achieve (like changing my old clock). Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

btw my budget is around 1000-1500$ so while i can afford to install some down lights/ new furnitures, my budget is fairly small.

Here are some pictures below.

^ There is just too much space on the wall so im thinking of putting some pictures above my bed. Please enlighten me on where to put it and suggest kind of pictures to put that suits my room the best.

^ This desk looks kinda messy, so i will probably clear it up and put my alarm clock and a vase on it. What are your ideas on this?

PS;

Last edited by beamthegreat; 10-24-2012 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I'm partial to a simple orchid in a tall black vase say for the upper shelf of your desk and your bathroom sink. You could add a large oriental vase or a tall plant on the floor next to your bed and still leave your night stands empty for functional things. I'd put an oriental or other throw rug next to your bed. I have a red one next to mine on the wood floor. You might like a round glass paperweight with something interesting enclosed in it as another simple but decorative and useful item.

Artwork is very personal and hard to suggest for someone else. I never put up anything that isn't original art. I prefer oil paintings myself and have a few reverse glass too. It's not too hard to make a graphic one stroke painting yourself or you can look around on ebay or at garage sales. I've seen some of those six foot tall mirrors similar to your furniture that you lean against the wall that would look nice with what you have, or you could get one with a fancy gold frame if you wanted to spice things up.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
You don't need to have artistic talent to know what you like. Personally, I think framed black & white photography would look really nice with your decorating scheme. You can go with a single very large print, a couple of large prints hung together, or several smaller prints grouped on the wall.

If you don't want to go with artwork, wall decals are another alternative. This site has some nice contemporary designs. They're removable, so if you don't like them or want to change, it's easy to do.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM

452 posts, read 898,411 times
Love the furniture I would put a large floating shelf for a night stand on the first picture shown to balance out the nightstand on the opposite side of the bed. As for the pictures try using the same philosophy as minimalist and go to craft store pick up some different sizes of plain canvas go to the paint section and pick out different colors you like for each coordinating canvas-paint each canvas the color you like to coordinate with bedroom scheme. Make the canvas the full color if you want to glue pictures on or hang anything you cherish on them with the understanding if you glue it will not come off. I like the clean lines of your bedroom furniture I would try to go for bamboo and orchids. As for the lamps keep them clean also go to a store like Home Goods or IKEA for comforter and lamps and look around and see what you like.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
My thoughts are as follows.
Plants need light, and it doesn't look like you have enough in there to support a plant, except right near the window. Do not even think about getting a fake plant. No.

Also, I think you are approaching your bedroom the wrong way. I take it you are a guy who likes things which plug into other things, which plug into the wall. I can't stand this, but you use electronics in there, so it is necessary. Are you a guy who would make your bed if you had a colorful duvet for the bed? If so, get one, and then bounce the rest of the room off the colors in it.

You only should put art in your bedroom (or anywhere else) that you love, and which makes you feel good. This requires no art knowledge whatsoever. You don't need strangers telling you what to hang on the walls. I can tell you, though, that you need some art that is large, or a group of things that will cover the area you want to cover. Don't go getting one 8x10 picture and hang it up, because it will not be enough to claim the space. Keep the frames the same color for unity. Art.com - Posters, Art Prints, Framed Art, and Wall Art Collections is a good place to look.
Your clock is sad, so you could get one with some pow. You could also get some colorful objects to put on the shelves over your desk. Perhaps if you travel you could amass some interesting things to place there.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I think you have to focus on what you like before you pick out artwork. Do you like
Architectural
Nature
Portrait, human form
Abstract

Do you collect anything?
Books
pottery

What are you hobbies?
computer
music

Do you travel or have a partiality to any certain area?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,307 times
Thanks for all the kind suggestions. Every one of your ideas are really great! I went to ikea today and bought a huge 100 x 140 cm photo of a city landscape like claire had suggested (and i also thought look kind of neat) and grabbed a plain black flower plot to place next to the walk-in closet. And I will probably plant some bamboo like what 3a had suggested. I couldn't find a vase that i thought would fit with the room like how Sgoldie mentioned so I will try to find it elsewhere.

After placing these new stuff in my room it looked a lot better but i just realized that the shelf above my desk was still empty and i think that even placing a vase and a couple of souvenirs, there will still be a lot of space left. Do you guys have any suggestions on what else to put up there?

Additionally, I'm thinking of installing 2 or 3 warm white led downlights directly on top of my bed to make the picture stand out and I also want to replace my white fluorescent bulbs with a an dim yellowish-orange incandescent bulb to soften the atmosphere of the bedroom, similar to the picture below. What are your ideas on this? Do you think this kind of lighting would go well with my room?

Again, thank you very much for all the great suggestions and im looking forward to some more of your great recommendations.

Last edited by beamthegreat; 10-25-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
We have some lights similar to these mounted on the ceiling above our bed, about nine inches or so from the wall. It not only highlights the artwork above the bed, it also serves as a nice reading light. We have it on a dimmer switch, so it can be as soft or bright as we like. You can adjust the direction of the lights, so we have them pointed at slightly different angles. It's perfect for reading; the light shines down on the book in a way that makes it so easy to read. Previously, I always struggled to read with beside lamps or overhead lights shining from the middle of the room.

For the shelves, books always look nice - especially hardcover books without their jackets. You can also add framed personal photos, or even small pieces of artwork that lean against the wall, such as in this photo.

I'd love to see pictures of the finished room!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Amen to previous encouraging statements about hanging art.

Hang out at some local art fairs to get an idea of things that you like. Your room might like some nice photo artwork, as another poster suggested. I think a really large tapestry or painting above your bed would make the room nicer. You don't need another piece if the over bed piece is very large. Just make sure you like to look at it, and it appeals to you. Before you buy it, try to imagine it on the wall, which is gray or blue, I think. Keep the frame simple and classy, or hang a canvas unframed.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
You might want to check this website to see what do you like, what is your style and go from there...
Contemporary Bedroom Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating