Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times

Advertisements

So I've decided to wait on the new curtains and get them for my mom's birthday in a couple of months. That will give me more time to figure out the best solution. I'd still like to use pinch pleat panels, and now I'll have plenty of time to find some that fit. And if not, maybe I can have someone sew them for me.

Thanks all for the help on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I think its a really nice idea - and I think by waiting you'll be able to take the time to get something that will really be lovely.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
So I've decided to wait on the new curtains and get them for my mom's birthday in a couple of months. That will give me more time to figure out the best solution. I'd still like to use pinch pleat panels, and now I'll have plenty of time to find some that fit. And if not, maybe I can have someone sew them for me.

Thanks all for the help on this!
I have the pinched pleat drapes from JCP. They do have 7 hooks on each panel. I did not use the traditional hooks though, I used ring clips (pictured on their example) to hang them on a decorative rod, however they can be used with the hooks. I think its a nice idea. This is similar to what I purchased. You would be fine with the dims you need. They are 40 dollars a pair. The valance is optional.

jcp home

Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 AM

Fallingwater, thanks for posting. I need them for a standard 36-in. wide window--the existing rods are roughly 39 inches from bracket to bracket. Is that the size of your windows? If so, then I might go with the JCP ones you linked.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Nowadays I wouldnt have anything except ones with no hooks that go straight over the rail.. there are some on here as an example..ring tops are so easy to put up.. or the reversible curtains that just slide over the pole.. Curtains - The Mill Shop

Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Fallingwater, thanks for posting. I need them for a standard 36-in. wide window--the existing rods are roughly 39 inches from bracket to bracket. Is that the size of your windows? If so, then I might go with the JCP ones you linked.
I have 3 windows in my LR. Each are 36 inches wide. Two are together giving the illusion of a picture window. I bought a pair of 40 x 84 to basically frame the window as I knew I would never close the drapes (I have a fabric blind). The 3rd window is by itself (pictured). It is a 36 x 60(ish). These set of panels can be pulled together to cover the window for privacy if I want to. IF I were to do that all the time, I would have went with a slightly larger panel width wise. Here is a picture, not the greatest quality, just used my cell to take a snapshot. Also, I hung mine a little high because I have cats. I didn't want them trying to curl up in them for nap time. If you notice I used the ring clips to hang mine. It is super easy to just clip and hang but I believe you said your mother has specific rods that she would like to keep, so really in your case, just take down the old and hang up the new with the existing set up.

Attachment 105036

Last edited by fallingwater; 03-18-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM

^ Awesome. I ordered them this morning, so it looks like Mom will be getting new curtains for Christmas! I wish you had come along a few days ago to save me the expedited shipping fee , but that's okay...she's worth it. Thanks again for your help and advice. This will save me the trouble of replacing the rods. Happy holidays!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
^ Awesome. I ordered them this morning, so it looks like Mom will be getting new curtains for Christmas! I wish you had come along a few days ago to save me the expedited shipping fee , but that's okay...she's worth it. Thanks again for your help and advice. This will save me the trouble of replacing the rods. Happy holidays!
Opps, sorry. Your mom will be pleased though. Probably something she has been wanting to do for years and never got around to it. They come packaged well, no wrinkles so no ironing or anything. Just pull em out of the package and hang them up. Happy Holidays to you too!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Glad you found something you like, arbyunc. Please take before & after pics, if you can. We love seeing how people decorate.

In case anyone else has a similar question about traverse rods, I just wanted to mention... They do sell decorative "c" and "s" hooks with clips for them, so that you could use clips instead of pins. That would give you a look similar to Fallingwater's, but would go with a decorative traverse rod.

I'm not sure if all of these are narrow enough for a traverse rod, (the first one definitely is), but they look like this, this and this.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Update: the curtains arrived just in time for Christmas, and my mom is thrilled with them. I was fortunate that the ones I ordered had the same number of hooks as her existing curtains, so hanging them was a piece of cake. Fallingwater, thanks so much for the recommendation--they were perfect. Sorry I don't have pictures, but they look great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating