Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM

70 posts, read 252,085 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a decorating question. We are in the process of building a new construction home. You may have noticed this thread, which gives updates on the progress.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...w-updates.html

Anyway, my question specifically concerns the trim on the windows in the pic below. The trim around these windows was supposed to be stained the same color as the floors (Brazilian Cherry) to make the room a bit more interesting and we initially thought it would look nicer.

However, the painter painted these windows white by mistake, which matches all of the other trim in the home. Now, I kind of like the look and am unsure if we should go to the stained look.

My question, is white trim or stained trim (which would match the floor)? Thanks!

The trim in question is below (around windows) and the wall color is a neutral buttery yellowish tone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
I think the white looks good. I some of the stained trim in older homes but in a lot of new construction on typical homes I think that the white trim around the windows looks great if you are already doing white baseboards and possibly some white crown. I also like some painted trim in grey or black depending on the decor and wall colors as well but I guess that is a discussion for another thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I hate painted trim. You're always having to paint it.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM

I have not found that to be the case at all. The house we bought was 10 years old with painted trim and other than using some magic eraser or a damp cloth on some of the door casings where the previous owner's had their repeated hand-marks our trim looked brand new in the house we bought even when other areas like the carpet or walls were showing signs of wear. That's the beauty of a quality gloss paint on trim: the low maintenance. Whenever it gets dirty, there usually isn't a need to repaint, it just needs a wipe-down with a damp microfiber cloth or magic eraser.

The areas where I changed the trim or put up my own are 3 years old now and look the same as the day I painted them.

Really I think the choice just comes down to a style/aesthetics preference. I think wood mouldings look best on older buildings or in realllly thick, very traditional artisan-style mouldings on very high ceilings. For more standard housing I tend to prefer a painted trim as it meshes with the architecture a bit more but that is just a personal preference.

Last edited by Sunbather; 01-18-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM

70 posts, read 252,085 times
Jamiceta, I think you are correct in your assessment. Our initial thought in terms of going with a stained moulding was to do something like the picture below, but our mouldings are not that thick, and our windows are casement (we wanted to open them during the warmer months).

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
That's the beauty of a quality gloss paint on trim: the low maintenance.
Ah... but most people do not go quality and do not have gloss...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM

I suppose you are right. I would assume most builders are at LEAST satin if not semi-gloss though which is still fairly easy to wipe-down. We use satin wall-paint in our bathrooms and kitchen for a similar reason.

Newhousebuilt: Yes, imo the stained trim looks more in-sync with that space you just posted. It appears they have slightly-higher ceilings and thicker mouldings so it looks great stained. In your picture of your own house, I like the white and can't envision stained trimmed looking better. That is just my opinion though and you're the one paying for the house so in the end, go with your gut!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
Keep it white. It makes the room so much brighter and pops with painted walls rather than looking muddy. I'm not a fan of stained wood moldings unless its a country cabin or somewhere rustic.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I like painted trim so Im biased. I like the white.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:45 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I prefer stained myself, but the white looks good there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating