Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times

Advertisements

How do you like your modular sofa now that you have it?
Is it worth the extra money compared to one or two pieces of furniture ?

The idea seems really cool.
The set I am looking at doesn't lock together. Do they move around much ? I have carpet now, but one day I want wood floors.
The set I am looking at is kind of a 'stiff' set. I don't want the sofa to be too plush, but there doesnt seem to be a middle ground for plushness for these. They are either PLUSH, or STIFF. Leather seems more in the middle, but I have pets, therefore leather and claws are not an option.

I love the look and the maneuverability, but I was hoping for feedback from people on this style of sofa.

Oh, I modular means; separate components that when put together can make a couch, or even a L-shape couch. For instance, 3 corner pieces, 2 middle armless pieces, and an ottoman can make almost any combo of full size couch, and love seat with a chaise. Or, put all 5 pieces together and make an L-shaped couch.

There is a difference between modular, and sectional. Modular is more of a micro version of a sectional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I actually have a modular leather sofa and we chose it because we knew we would be moving at some point and I still wanted to have sectional set-up. This is because I knew we would have a combination room (living room/dining room) and I like the way it divides the room. Our old couch was falling apart and we desperately needed a couch and went with the modular so I could alter the L-direction as needed.

I really like it because I can change the orientation or set-up any time I want. It is also very easy to move. I would recommend it for anyone who likes to change the look of their room often.

The pieces do move around. They won't move too much on carpet but they will move much easier on hardwood, which can be frustrating. You can actually purchase either metal bracket-looking things to attach to the pieces so they stay together or these bands that are tight around the feet and hold it together. I've seen them on Amazon. Or, you can devise something yourself. I plan on getting something like this so that they will stay together easier---I actually seem to only have issue with one piece moving now because part of my couch is on a rug, which keeps it together for the most part. (The bottoms had plastic that you could remove and there are rubber bottoms.)

Plush vs. stiff can change, depending on the couch---some places let you alter what you can put on the inside. I also have pets, which isn't great for my leather. But we have been teaching them to either stay off of it or we leave blankets on there and they usually are good about staying on the blankets. Our leather is pretty soft, actually, and really depending on the couch your stiff couch may not stay stiff for very long.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
You can buy furniture cups which are essentially small rubber disc's that the leg of the furniture sits in and it prevents movement and scratches to the floor.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
I decided to move forward and purchase the modular set I was lookin at.
But there has been a problem. When I made the transaction, I was advised there was a back order on the furniture, and There was a five week delay in the furniture availability a the warehouse. The manufacturer literally has to make the furniture set due to the popularity of the set. I agreed at the time. No problem.
But..... I received an email, and it says there is ANOTHER 5 week delay on my furniture set. This means I have to wait 10 weeks just for the furniture to get to the warehouse. THEN I get to make delivery arrangements.
Is this typical ? 10 weeks seems like a long time. Do I have any pull in this situation ? Are they obligated or if I ask nicely for a price decrease, or demand free shipping, or maybe even a free material color change (i know i know, not realistic, but it would be cool)?
I don't want to wait this long if i have to, as there are other similair style couches with other stores/ manufacturers.
If I canceled my order at this point, could they still charge me for restocking ?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Cancel the order and buy somewhere else. Be skeptical about backorders. My sectional came with an ottoman. The sectional was delivered but the ottoman was on backorder. They later told me the ottoman was discontinued. Now I have a sectional without an ottoman. They offered me X amount towards another ottoman but none of them matched my sectional. So, I have a sectional without an ottoman. I could returned the sectional, due to their not filling the order completely, but hubby and I weren't in the mood to live without seating in that room. To this day, it annoys me that I don't have an ottoman. Right now, I'm sitting on it with my legs curled up under me, and that gets uncomfortable.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Maybe they'll sell you the floor model instead, for a deeply discounted price?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
We have one "modular" sofa--we call it a sectional though? It has 3 pieces and was custom made to fit a spot in our old house. I use zip ties to keep the pieces in place or it does slide around. It worked much better on our hardwood floors (keeping it together) because now it is on carpet and the legs like to stay in the dents they make. It's not bad though. It's a great place for a nap and when the kids have friends over to sleep over, they both can fit on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating