Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM

35 posts, read 134,625 times

Advertisements

We started a new project to jazz up our tall fireplace. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted but we are stuck in the middle and I'm not sure what we should do next.

Here is before we started. A tall blank wall.

And here is where we are stuck.

Usually at this point of a project I'm so excited but I can't decide if I even like it. Usually I can imagine the final look but I can't for this one. Should I run horizontal white planks all the way up? Tile or stone it? Maybe a mosaic tile? Do wainscoting boxes? Any opinions or suggestions??

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Pictures would help...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
The pics didnt come through.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM

35 posts, read 134,625 times
Sorry, didin't realize the pictures didn't come up.

Before, boring blank wall.

This is where we are at.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
It doesn't go with what you have done so far, but I would have done a stone facade. If you're looking for relatively inexpensive, why not a big, long piece of artwork with some dimension?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Add white paneling in the middle of the trim/up the entire fireplace wall like the picture below:

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Hopes pretty much suggested what I would have. I think you are on the right track, you are just in that in between phase. You probably wont have to add anything in the center in terms of paneling. Just add trim squares and then paint everything the same glossy white.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I've done plenty of two-story mantels over the years-
What you got, ain't it! The proportions are all wrong. Since you kept the original mantel, the legs for the upper portion should have been the same material, but they're too flat- have no dimension. Unfortunately, that is somewhat due to the blah tile surround.

The upper shelf should have a bigger breast plate than the lower, but it doesn't have to be the same shape. I prefer elliptical breast plates for upper mantels. As for all that space in between- I've done raised panel, shadow boxes (fake raised panel), plate mirror, and nothing. H/O's with the "nothing" space usually fill it with an extremely tall framed mirror, a tapestry, or a piece of artwork that is tall and narrow.

The TV thing is something new with flat screens- I personally hate TVs above a f/pl, and especially on a fireplace of that type (which is usually a Greatroom- having some formality to it). They just detract from the grandness of the f/pl.
So, if the TV is staying; I strongly recommend a total rebuild of the mantel and incorporate a pocket for the TV that can be hidden with a panel to match all the other panels above. Or use a picture/frame that is made for hiding flat screens. The panel idea and the picture are usually remote controlled to cover/uncover the TV.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The picture that "Hopes" posted mostly shows what you need to do:

#1. Raise the existing mantel so that it is about head height.

#2. Find someplace else for the flat screen. Maybe even do like k'nldgabldr suggests and put it behind panel / or artwork but the key is that a big BLACK rectangle is going to visually be a "black hole" that ruins the effect of the two story space and makes your eye STOP when it hits black.

#3. Instal appropriated scaled and painted trim / panels in the "field" so that you don't have "blank wall" showing at all. Even if you can track down "art" (not pictures of giraffes or something stupid but real art...) you want to have that surrounded by "white" not "wall"...

#4. Get a remote control for the fan! Five feet of control chain is hideous. They are cheap Universal Ceiling Fan Remote Control Kit - Amazon.com

#5. Get tile (or better, actual slab stone -- it ought to be cheap, only a couple of feet) that has much more dramatic impact with bolder color. The stuff up now is like for a guest bath or laundry room. Looks very very very low end.

#6. Paint the back of the inside of the built-ins to match the rest of the trim. It looks goofy, almost like wallpaper or something that was a "unfinished kit" now.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
i agree with just about everything chet everett says. I disagree on the shelving background. While I don't love what is behind there now, I think having a contrasting color or wallpaper at the back of built-ins looks fantastic, and often much better than everything painted white (shelves, trim, and back wall all white)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating