Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best kitchen cabinet color for resale value is-
White 23 65.71%
Other (please specify below) 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,782 times

Advertisements

Hello, I like white kitchen cabinets, but watching some HGTV shows like House Hunters it seems that a lot of people don’t (“they‘re so 80s“). Then, looking at zillow digs, it looks as though most of the most popular kitchen designs have white cabinets. Maybe people like pictures of white cabinets, but not when they actually see them in person? I’m mainly trying to get ideas on the best kitchen cabinet color for eventual resale value. What color has the broadest appeal? I was thinking of light gray silestone for the counters (the floor currently is white vinyl). The cabinets that I have now are the dreaded oak, so I think I need to do something. The kitchen is fairly dark until the afternoon (western exposure). What do you think? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
We complete gutted our kitchen last year and replaced everything including the cabinets. We had the old vinyl wrapped press-board stuff before, not exactly good quality, but surprisingly, it held up well for 15 years. Our cabinets before were a brilliant white and we weren't really thinking of going back with white, but ended up with solid wood off-white creamy color that we think looks great. The consultant at the cabinet company we bought them from said that 50% of his orders are white cabinets, so we figured we were safe from a re-sale value.

Before and after pics...
Attached Thumbnails
White Kitchen Cabinets: 2013 view-6_9_12-003.jpg   White Kitchen Cabinets: 2013 view-10_29_12-011.jpg  

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Hello, I like white kitchen cabinets, but watching some HGTV shows like House Hunters it seems that a lot of people don’t (“they‘re so 80s“). Then, looking at zillow digs, it looks as though most of the most popular kitchen designs have white cabinets. Maybe people like pictures of white cabinets, but not when they actually see them in person? I’m mainly trying to get ideas on the best kitchen cabinet color for eventual resale value. What color has the broadest appeal? I was thinking of light gray silestone for the counters (the floor currently is white vinyl). The cabinets that I have now are the dreaded oak, so I think I need to do something. The kitchen is fairly dark until the afternoon (western exposure). What do you think? Thanks
depending on the hardware, etc they do not have to be 80ish and we know 4 families that have recently re-done their kitchens; 3 have done white or off white. We are getting closer to doing a few things to our kitchen, if I could afford new cabinets or re-doing mine we would go with an off white in a second. As for re-sale value, I think sometimes, we all think too much about that: what is in today, may be totally out when you get ready to sell, unless you are thinking of selling in the next 2 or 3 years.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
We complete gutted our kitchen last year and replaced everything including the cabinets. We had the old vinyl wrapped press-board stuff before, not exactly good quality, but surprisingly, it held up well for 15 years. Our cabinets before were a brilliant white and we weren't really thinking of going back with white, but ended up with solid wood off-white creamy color that we think looks great. The consultant at the cabinet company we bought them from said that 50% of his orders are white cabinets, so we figured we were safe from a re-sale value.

Before and after pics...
It LOOKS GREAT; well done!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
Quote:

Before and after pics...
Nice, I also did a kitchen with pale yellow walls and white cabinets. Very open, cheery and bright.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
Quote:

Before and after pics...
Did you move the door or push the wall back? It looks like there is more counter and cabinet space on either side of the stove.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times
I think white cabinets with white marble is absolutely stunning. Look it up on google pics to get some ideas.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Did you move the door or push the wall back? It looks like there is more counter and cabinet space on either side of the stove.
The left side wall was kicked out 4ft. In the before pic you can see where it has already been built. The picture was taken right before they demo'd the old kitchen, we were getting ready to leave for a week long vacation. We lived in the house while the project was going on, it was challenging at times!

Probably will get some different stools for the island, maybe some stainless/black ones.

We had an interior designer pick out the paint colors on our first floor, but my wife and I picked out the cabinets and granite.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times
Cabinets white kitchen island marble countertops farmhouse sink

COCOCOZY: WEEKEND PHOTO: TRADITIONAL MODERN KITCHEN!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Never liked white cabinets... then or now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating